Humps sign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Tom Williams

Humps sign

Post by Tom Williams »

Hi All,

I was out walking today in hereford, When I came across this sign, it seems quite rare to me because it has the 1000 yards distance on it, how rare actually is this? I've seen them with much shorter distances on before, but this one caught my eye.

Any input on this is much apreciated.

Tom

Bomag

Re: Humps sign

Post by Bomag »

Tom Williams wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 17:08 Hi All,

I was out walking today in hereford, When I came across this sign, it seems quite rare to me because it has the 1000 yards distance on it, how rare actually is this? I've seen them with much shorter distances on before, but this one caught my eye.

Tom

Anything over 880 yards must be show as a fraction of a mile - TSRGD Sch 18-3-5. That sign is not lawful.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bomag wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 17:31
Tom Williams wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 17:08 Hi All,

Tom

Anything over 880 yards must be show as a fraction of a mile - TSRGD Sch 18-3-5. That sign is not lawful.
I've got £5 that says the distance is not 1000 yards either.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Never really understood why we need distance plates with these signs at all. Just adds to sign clutter and I'd argue if a road has humps it should be a 20 Zone anyway which removes the need for all the warning signs in the first place.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 21:47Never really understood why we need distance plates with these signs at all.
They certainly shouldn't still need the word "humps" underneath them. The sign's been around long enough now that the extra text is unnecessary.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Bryn666 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 21:47 Never really understood why we need distance plates with these signs at all. Just adds to sign clutter and I'd argue if a road has humps it should be a 20 Zone anyway which removes the need for all the warning signs in the first place.
This precisely. It beats me why authorities install humps on roads with speed limits higher than the speed being encouraged/reasonably possible over the humps, IYSWIM. If you want to enforce a 30 mph limit with humps, you put in humps that are passable at 25-30 mph but are uncomfortable/damaging if you take them much faster than that. If you want people to do 20, then use a 20 limit (plus humps suitable for 20 mph, if necessary). Putting humps in a 30 limit that require drivers to slow to 20 or less for each hump is just asking for the typical accelerate/brake driving you see around humps, which is uneconomical, polluting, noisy and for bus passengers uncomfortable, and increases the risk of rear-enders and other collisions.

The exception is in 20 limits where you really want people to go significantly less than 20, since there is no lower limit widely available. But then the general layout should be yelling "slow down" to drivers, not just the presence of humps.

Also if you differentiate the hump in some way (road marking, different surface or something) why do you also need signage?
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

It's not unusual in my humble experience. Here's one I've previously posted in the unnecessarily accurate distances thread.