Unusual crossings

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

pjr10th

Unusual crossings

Post by pjr10th »

This bizarre diagonal zebra crossing which reaches across a junction on the A483 in Llandovery.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Lv256Djwdj29LCj96

The side road uses a STOP sign at the junction. I can't tell if that's because of visibility or because of the unusual crossing.

Is this road legal? It also leads to some unusual botchery with the controlled area.
WhiteBlueRed

Re: Unusual crossings

Post by WhiteBlueRed »

There's a diagonal zebra in Oakham.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6689284 ... 312!8i6656

This zebra crossing is located at an entrance to a car park, and usually pedestrian paths have zebra crossings, which causes confusion as to whether you're allowed to drive up there or not.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.88237 ... 384!8i8192
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

This one would probably benefit from being at angle like the ones in the previous posts as it misses the pavement one side.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

This one on Kensington Church Street just abandons you in the entrance to a side road, and is horribly positioned on a corner.
jervi

Post by jervi »

These examples are just horrific, the amount of people that go into installing a crossing and not one of them thinks that these designs are wrong.

However an example I've got is slightly unusual in a completely different way.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.83183 ... 312!8i6656
This Toucan crossing separates cyclists & pedestrians on the far side, but the cycle markings are the most strange. The short painted cycle lane on the left has right hand running (makes sense on how it is used, but are these markings needed at all? But then also has a give way line at the BPU, so whats the point of the lights if it is marked as a give way. You then have to give way again on the far side of the crossing, with merely a 1.5m gap to wait in.
Anyway this junction was renewed last year, no major changes were made to the actual design other than this cycle crossing bit & LLCS with early releases.
https://gopro.com/v/JbBLmW1NGblyR
This is now what this crossing looks like. Whilst it is an improvement there are many things wrong with it, to begin with there is no painted stop line, and also the secondary signal is a LLCS, not a full size one. Surely that is not allowed, it could also suggest that the second signal is for entry into the ASL, where you still have to give way. In addition the LLCS should have a mandatory ahead sign since a left turn conflicts with the pedestrian crossing & right turn is into oncoming traffic. My video shows it timed very well, but its not always like this, I believe that the left turn filter with the crossing on is completely separate on its phasing from the main junction phases. The new layout is an improvement, but more to bring it inline with current standards & regulations on its renewal. This junction is due to be completely redesigned in 5-10 years in the LCWIP for Brighton & Hove, so this monstrosity of a junction will soon be no longer.
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

Thought this was unusual. Why have give way markings when building a parallel (zebra with bicycles) crossing would do the exact same job?
vlad

Post by vlad »

Here is where a public footpath crosses a minor (but still reasonably busy) road. From memory the only road warning signs are the "People crossing ahead" ones - and don't ask me what the actual markings on the road are supposed to signify.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
jnty

Post by jnty »

AlexBr967 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 18:31 Thought this was unusual. Why have give way markings when building a parallel (zebra with bicycles) crossing would do the exact same job?
How new is it? I think tiger crossings were only introduced relatively recently.
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

Looks like it was early 2016 based on street view so you're probably right