A Load Of Bollards

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Re: A Load Of Bollards

Post by FosseWay »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 09:27
WHBM wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 00:07 These ones in Dublin are useful for stopping vehicles getting onto the paved area. The installation crew are just cleaning up after a day of cementing them all in ...

Contractors clean up.jpg
I’m fairly sure that’s Manchester - when the picture first did the rounds online it was supposedly there, and the pedestrian sign is the type installed across the city centre there in the 2000s.
It's certainly somewhere with the BR logo pointing to the railway station. They don't use that in Dublin.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

I sketched up a bollard I wanted to stop footway over runs by large vehicles in the 1990s because I didn't want to use Bell bollards which take up too much footway space. We were already working on a large area wide scheme and had a street furniture supplier working with us. I based my sketch on some mooring posts I'd seen around Canary Wharf/East India Docks etc. I asked that it take the place of a kerb and have a slightly rounded front so it wouldn't look too out of place if used in place of a radius kerb. The company drew up proper drawings and we put the first ones in Roman Road E2.

The company put a written description in an article in a trade magazine and my employer got a letter from a solicitor representing the Bell Bollard producers saying we were stealing their idea. This stopped when they finally saw the real thing.

About 10 years ago the company asked if I would give them a private reference for a military establishment who wanted to use the same bollards to protect a gatehouse that tanks run either side of, which I did. Unknown to me it later appeared on their website with extra words underneath saying that people should try them to see how good they are. The Bell bollard people contacted my employer and I got called in for a formal interview. Luckily I still had my original email without the offending extra text and stating it was a private opinion only and not for publication. The company took it down of their site and apologised.

You see them about in lots of places now. https://goo.gl/maps/oz4uzW7WbKwkSDLm6
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

:cool: :thumbsup: :smile: Thanks for the ideas folks. I must visit some of them sometime. :rolleyes:

Fenlander wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 14:11 These 2 pedestrians have managed to not trip over the bollards either side of the bridge plonked in the middle of the path. They are officially there to prevent vehicles clipping the bridge rather than stop pedestrians crossing that side on the pavement as the council don't deem the thing that looks like a footway and links 2 footways to actually be a footway. There's no pedestrian phases to the traffic lights around the bridge (it's all 1 connected junction) so pedestrians are very much on their own here so take routes they want to rather than ones the council would prefer.
If only there was a footbridge a few yards away they could have used instead. :coat:
FosseWay wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 06:08 It's certainly somewhere with the BR logo pointing to the railway station. They don't use that in Dublin.
There seems to be another logo next to the BR one. Manchester Metrolink would fit. Unfortunately the words aren't readable.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 13:22 :cool: :thumbsup: :smile: Thanks for the ideas folks. I must visit some of them sometime. :rolleyes:

Fenlander wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 14:11 These 2 pedestrians have managed to not trip over the bollards either side of the bridge plonked in the middle of the path. They are officially there to prevent vehicles clipping the bridge rather than stop pedestrians crossing that side on the pavement as the council don't deem the thing that looks like a footway and links 2 footways to actually be a footway. There's no pedestrian phases to the traffic lights around the bridge (it's all 1 connected junction) so pedestrians are very much on their own here so take routes they want to rather than ones the council would prefer.
If only there was a footbridge a few yards away they could have used instead. :coat:
You can lead a horse to water... There's nothing at the stone bridge to suggest you can't use it to cross though and if there's one thing pedestrians like it's their desire lines.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Outside Lancaster Castle there's these phallic marrows.