Two street name changes at a point

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Keiji

Two street name changes at a point

Post by Keiji »

Here's a (hopefully) fun one for the trivia collectors...

What I mean by this, is where four roads with different street names meet at a point, and they meet such that each road has a pretty obvious "straight on" to an opposite one, making it look like there's two crossing roads that just happen to change name at the same point. This could either be at a crossroads, or at a four-armed roundabout. A larger junction also qualifies if removing extra arms would make it so, as long as the removed arms don't share a street name with the four that are kept. Roads with only numbers do not count, every (kept) arm must have a street name.

Here's the local example I noticed that inspired this, where as a pedestrian all four street name signs are actually visible at once: https://goo.gl/maps/trP2FsUPGvsjwqCx7
When you look at this as two crossing roads rather than four separate ones, you get Barton Hill Way changing to Cassiobury Way, which is pretty understandable as the latter is effectively a cul-de-sac (one with two adjacent entries - not sure if there's a term for this), and Browns Bridge Road changing to Beechfield Avenue, which is the more surprising one but makes sense when you realise that Beechfield Avenue used to be a no-through road from its eastern end and was then connected up to it.

Then, while looking for counter examples I found this interesting case: https://goo.gl/maps/y9cDjnGke7bDEuUy8
The A380 changes name from Hellevoetsluis Way to Marldon Way here, and you'd expect the main roundabout to be an example, but no, the other two arms are both Preston Down Road (according to Google Maps at least - I haven't verified this one on the ground). But the tiny roundabout next to it does qualify, as Preston Down Road changes to Five Lanes Road, and Vicarage Hill changes to Vicarage Road.

Any more examples? :)
KeithW

Re: Two street name changes at a point

Post by KeithW »

Here is one in Middlesbrough where on this roundabout the following roads converge
Eastbourne Road
York Road
Valley Road
Bishopton Road
Marton Burn Road
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.55742 ... !1e4?hl=en

I used to live just off York Road

At the other end of the spectrum is Hemlington where they seem to have run out of imagination so there are roads such as Jocelyn Way and Brookfield Avenue which snake around all over the place, it must be a nightmare for delivery drivers.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.530241,-1.2580432,18z
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

If you sit on this bridge then the road to the north is Spalding road in the village of Pinchbeck and the road to the south is Pinchbeck Road in the town of Spalding. The bridge (or rather the drain underneath it) marks a solid physical boundary between the 2 but there's loads of examples where that same format of Town St, Village changes to Village St, Town locally at an arbitrary point.
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

Here's one that absolutely fails to qualify for this. I think only one arm of the roundabout has a road name, but the road number is, well, take a look at each arm.... https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 17&layer=0

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

I imagine the situation in Chichester must be replicated in several places, where four streets each with its own name converge on a central square or junction.

In Chichester's case, the streets can't logically continue the other side of the Market Cross, as they're called North, South, East and West Streets. The same would apply if they were named after other towns they lead to.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

I can think of a few examples in Durham, which suggests it can't be that rare?

* Newcastle Road, Darlington Road, Crossgate Peth and Neville's Cross Bank meet at Neville's Cross.
* Milburngate, Milburngate Bridge, St Godric's Way and Framwellgate all meet here.
* Margery Lane, Crossgate Peth, Crossgate and Alexandria Crescent here.
* Quarryheads Lane, Stockton Road, South Road and Church Street here
* Front Street, Pittington Lane, Lady's Piece Road, Station Road in Pittington

Perhaps more common in older towns/cities where modern routes have been constructed out of these older street patterns?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Ladies and gentlemen, the Fighting Cocks junction, Wolverhampton.

To the north, A459 Dudley Road, arriving here from central Wolverhampton*.
To the south, A459 Wolverhampton Road East, arriving here from Dudley via Sedgley*.
To the west, A4039 Goldthorn Hill, heading towards Penn Fields.
To the east, A4039 Parkfield Road, heading towards Ettingshall and then Bilston.

The junction takes its name from a public house, now demolished, that stood on the site that the Aldi supermarket now occupies.

* if you didn't consider their origins, you might think that they were heading the wrong way from here. I must admit that I'm puzzled by the "East" bit of Wolverhampton Road - if anything it's a southern extension of Wolverhampton Road heading out of Sedgley, and there really isn't much that is "east" about it at all.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

TS

Post by TS »

Here is a 5-road junction.

We are approaching a crossroads on Bengal Road*, which ahead becomes Withermoor Road.

The roads to the left and right, directly facing one another, are Edgehill Road and Heathwood Road respectively.

For good measure, Frederica Road also comes out here on the diagonal.

*The original designation of Bengal Road seems to have been lost. Nowadays, on all online maps, Withermoor Road is showing as continuing for a few yards behind us to the more natural end-point at the Fernside Road junction. However, there used to be an old cast-iron nameplate stating Bengal Road just to our left, and the old Kelly's Directories list Bengal Road as starting here.

There are no properties on the 'disputed' section, so which name is used is fairly academic.
TS

Post by TS »

FosseWay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:32 I imagine the situation in Chichester must be replicated in several places, where four streets each with its own name converge on a central square or junction.

In Chichester's case, the streets can't logically continue the other side of the Market Cross, as they're called North, South, East and West Streets. The same would apply if they were named after other towns they lead to.
Such as at Wareham which, as it doesn't have a road named High Street, is a piece of absolute perfection, being the junction of North Street, East Street, South Street and West Street without even the disruption of a central square!

Post by 6637 »

TS wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:33 Here is a 5-road junction.
Here's another 5-road one in Shanklin, Isle of Wight.
Screenshot_2022-05-17_13-22-55.png
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.56426 ... 801275,15z known locally as 5 lanes end.
Clockwise from the top...
High Levels Bank
Belton Road
Epworth Road
Idle Bank
Thorne Road

There's a mini roundabout nowadays but previously it was a 5 ways junction with no real priority.

Vince
TS

Post by TS »

Thinking about it, we have another five-way junction very close to my earlier one:

This is the junction of Redhill Avenue, Redhill Drive, Ensbury Park Road, Boundary Road and Columbia Road.

It feels less like a pure five-road meeting point now, since the gyratory was put in in about 1987 - it feels more like a regular crossroads with another road branching off a short distance ahead. But the distant shop (with postbox outside) is no.209 Redhill Drive and the houses on the right start the numbering in Redhill Avenue.
Telstarbox

Post by Telstarbox »

Staplehurst in Kent has a very logical crossroads of:

Station Road
Headcorn Road
High Street
Marden Road
Pilgrim Dan

Post by Pilgrim Dan »

Two for the price of one

Plymstock Road - Dean Hill / Dean Cross Road - Radford Park Road
Pomphlett Road - Horn Cross Road / Dean Cross Road - Church Road
Merge posts in turn
DB617

Post by DB617 »

A Cardiff example of a 5-way.

Richmond, Albany, City, Crwys and MacKintosh. They meet at a lovely junction named 'death junction' where allegedly there was once a city gallows.

Fairly appropriate to this day, as the road to the south is also colloquially known as 'Stabby Road'. I once had a job there where a restaurant manager physically blocked me accessing their meters, and then he took my customer outside and almost came to blows. Clearly the manager had something going on down there that they absolutely did not want the electric authorities seeing. That was a fun Friday night to be on a drinking street in uniform... :o
TS

Post by TS »

If we allow that "Upper X" is distinct from plain "X", then I think we have a sixer here:

S-N St Martin's Lane becomes Upper St Martin's Lane
SW-NE Cranbourn Street becomes Long Acre
W-SE Great Newport Street becomes Garrick Street
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Locally the junction of the A2022 and the B269 is also the junction of Rectory Park, Sanderstead Hill, Addington Road and Limpsfield Road.

It's not a straight-over cross but at Thornton Heath, the traffic light junction with Woodville Road and Parchmore Road also happens to be the point where Brigstock Road becomes High Street.

Last local example is a two-for-one. Two of the three junctions of the Crystal Palace Triangle have traffic light crossroads that have four differently named arms. Central Hill, Gypsy Hill, Westow Hill and Westow Street. The last two of those not being the straight-across. Just down the road: Westow Hill, Crystal Palace Parade, Anerley Hill and Church Road. The fact you are in one of the higher parts of London is not disguised by the street names.

Oh, I'll add an edit because I just thought of a "sixer". The ridiculously named Wapses Lodge Roundabout in Caterham also happens to be the junction of Godstone Road, Succomb's Hill, Woldingham Road, Caterham bypass (that's if it is a named road and not just a Google Maps statement of fact), Croydon Road and Burntwood Lane.
owen b

Post by owen b »

I don't think these are rare. It didn't take much looking in Google maps to find two in Luton. Firstly on the B579, a four armed roundabout of Marsh Road, Sundon Park Road, Bramingham Road, and Grange Avenue. Less than a mile further into town on the B579 is the signalised crossroads of Marsh Road, Leagrave Road, Waller Avenue and Blundell Road.
Owen
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

I agree, they're not rare.
There's a whole series in Inverness. The top of the High Street is where Eastgate turns into High Street, while Inglis Road turns into Market Brae Steps. Ok, you could dispute that steps count, but it's got shops along it so I'd call it a street. Down the hill, High Street becomes Bridge Street where Castle Street becomes Castle Wynd. At the bottom of the hill, Bridge Street becomes Ness Bridge, while Bank Street becomes Castle Road. Once over the bridge, Ness Bridge becomes Young Street and Huntly Street becomes Ness Walk. Young Street becomes Tomnahurich Street, while King Street becomes Alexander Place. And then the exception - despite the fact that the A82 goes from Kenneth Street to Tomnahurich Street, both names continue straight ahead over the crossroads.
vlad

Post by vlad »

I'm also of the opinion these are fairly common.

Alexandra Road, Basford Park Road, Church Lane and High Street meet here.
The other end of the High Street meets Bellefield View, Brampton Road and Rathbone Avenue here.
Brook Street, Broad Street, Compton and St Edward Street here.
Auburn Street, Ducie Street, London Road, Piccadilly and Station Approach here.
Does Congleton Road North, Congleton Road South, Liverpool Road East and Liverpool Road West, here, count? :wink:
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath