M62 barrier replacements in West Yorkshire

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

millionmiledriver

M62 barrier replacements in West Yorkshire

Post by millionmiledriver »

There are several miles of lane closures and a 50mph limit passed there yesterday at about 7.30 am and not a soul working .Passed again at lunchtime nothing had happened again not a soul .Are the contractors on strike in solidarity with the railwaymen ? Or like so many working from home ? Delays like these are absurd the contractors should be penalised
KeithW

Re: M62 barrier replacements in West Yorkshire

Post by KeithW »

millionmiledriver wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 16:41 There are several miles of lane closures and a 50mph limit passed there yesterday at about 7.30 am and not a soul working .Passed again at lunchtime nothing had happened again not a soul .Are the contractors on strike in solidarity with the railwaymen ? Or like so many working from home ? Delays like these are absurd the contractors should be penalised
In the construction game you usually get this type of stuff done before you bring the workforce, having a lot of people standing around waiting costs serious money and is also less than safe.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

millionmiledriver wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 16:41 There are several miles of lane closures and a 50mph limit passed there yesterday at about 7.30 am and not a soul working .Passed again at lunchtime nothing had happened again not a soul .Are the contractors on strike in solidarity with the railwaymen ? Or like so many working from home ? Delays like these are absurd the contractors should be penalised
Perhaps you could tell us what Highways England have said in reply to your query?
I am presuming you have raised one with them as they are not known for monitoring web forums for complaints.
millionmiledriver

Post by millionmiledriver »

its on my list to do but some barrier has been removed and machines are there Yet its causing delays they need to get their backsides into gear !
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

millionmiledriver wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 17:45 its on my list to do but some barrier has been removed and machines are there Yet its causing delays they need to get their backsides into gear !
Again, giving uninformed opinion on here will not get the issue brought to HE attention or an answer given. It will be the case that the delays to drivers caused by the imposition of the 50mph limit and day shift working have been appraised as the best use of public money to get the job done safely and efficiently without paying lots of non-productive overtime.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

If it is the same as the M6 barrier replacement works then the work is taking place overnight under lane closures. The area to work in is deemed too narrow on the M6 during the day even with the temporary barrier in place.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

From the National Highways web site:

Latest updates
29 April 2022
Update - April 2022
We are in the early stages of the road works, and the traffic management is still being established.

A 50mph speed limit will be in place to protect the travelling public and the workforce while this is being implemented. If an incident occurs the speed limit can be reduced to 40mph for safety reasons. Average speed cameras will be in use.

In periods when we are not working, such as over the Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend, the speed limit will be increased to 60mph.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

What is the location and length of the works please? "M62" is a bit vague. Are narrow lanes in place, or just offside lane closures?

I suspect the works will be carried out overnight. The lanes that are currently closed during the day will most likely only be a safety zone for the missing barrier lengths, an extra overnight lane closure will allow access through the works area.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Conekicker wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 22:56 What is the location and length of the works please? "M62" is a bit vague. Are narrow lanes in place, or just offside lane closures?

I suspect the works will be carried out overnight. The lanes that are currently closed during the day will most likely only be a safety zone for the missing barrier lengths, an extra overnight lane closure will allow access through the works area.
It's concrete barrier construction around the J27 (M621) area - generally it seems to the typical narrow lanes setup with a 50 limit. From my travels through there yesterday morning the traffic heading westbound wasn't too shocking, but it could have been worse heading eastbound as it took me the best part of 20 minutes to negotiate J26 and onto the M606. Glad I allowed the extra hour to get to Shipley from home, but I've always known that part of the world to be awful for traffic.

I've noticed the occasional closure overnight (as shown on Google Maps traffic layer) whether that's for moving cones about or the work itself I don't know.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

KeithW wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 20:00 From the National Highways web site:

Latest updates
29 April 2022
Update - April 2022
We are in the early stages of the road works, and the traffic management is still being established.

A 50mph speed limit will be in place to protect the travelling public and the workforce while this is being implemented. If an incident occurs the speed limit can be reduced to 40mph for safety reasons. Average speed cameras will be in use.

In periods when we are not working, such as over the Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend, the speed limit will be increased to 60mph.
Are they planning on using 40/50/60 fixed signage for this if it's an average zone. Not seen something like this before. Would make more sense if they are using the smart motorway signals to set the speed but then that would just be standard cameras where they exist.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

brummie_rob wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 03:16
KeithW wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 20:00 From the National Highways web site:

Latest updates
29 April 2022
Update - April 2022

Are they planning on using 40/50/60 fixed signage for this if it's an average zone. Not seen something like this before. Would make more sense if they are using the smart motorway signals to set the speed but then that would just be standard cameras where they exist.
The temporary roadworks speed limit signs are prism signs with solar panels on the top, allowing the speed limit through the roadworks to be varied without needing the smart motorway signals.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

c2R wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 07:35 The temporary roadworks speed limit signs are prism signs with solar panels on the top, allowing the speed limit through the roadworks to be varied without needing the smart motorway signals.
That seems sort of sensible, but if there are variable speed limit signs on gantries, why wouldn't you use them? I assume they can be overridden by the control centre - they surely don't *only* work automatically.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 00:46
Conekicker wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 22:56 What is the location and length of the works please? "M62" is a bit vague. Are narrow lanes in place, or just offside lane closures?

It's concrete barrier construction around the J27 (M621) area - generally it seems to the typical narrow lanes setup with a 50 limit. From my travels through there yesterday morning the traffic heading westbound wasn't too shocking, but it could have been worse heading eastbound as it took me the best part of 20 minutes to negotiate J26 and onto the M606. Glad I allowed the extra hour to get to Shipley from home, but I've always known that part of the world to be awful for traffic.

I've noticed the occasional closure overnight (as shown on Google Maps traffic layer) whether that's for moving cones about or the work itself I don't know.
I never understood why the barrier through J27 wasn't replaced, you know, when they had 3 years of roadworks here to prepare for installation of the smart motorway in the first place. I remember those horrible days when there were 20+ miles of roadworks between J22 and J30, it's one of the reasons I stopped working in Yorkshire beyond the fact my visa expired.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 00:46

Ta. Works on that section will be certainly be overnight only. As you'll be well aware, taking a lane out on there during the day would be rather amusing.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 09:57I never understood why the barrier through J27 wasn't replaced, you know, when they had 3 years of roadworks here to prepare for installation of the smart motorway in the first place. I remember those horrible days when there were 20+ miles of roadworks between J22 and J30, it's one of the reasons I stopped working in Yorkshire beyond the fact my visa expired.
Possibly because it wasn't life-expired at a guess. That and a dollop of HE (as it then was) not-joined up thinking...
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

c2R wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 07:35 The temporary roadworks speed limit signs are prism signs with solar panels on the top, allowing the speed limit through the roadworks to be varied without needing the smart motorway signals.
The delay through the roadworks last Friday on my way to Halifax was so frustrating I took the A629 home instead (no quicker but less frustrating) and working in Morley for most of June could now be a bit of a bummer :-x as well as some enticing visits to the pork pie shop :cloud9: .

However the manually variable temporary speed limit signs were a very welcome innovation :thumbsup:. I assume there's a button and motor to change them, or is there a handle to turn? Can they all be changed remotely, or does someone have to drive along changing them all individually?

I also assume the smartified gantry signs have had to be reprogrammed not to contradict the temporary limit (display NSL or 60 or be blank), so the manual signs seem superfluous, but perhaps they're a vital back up if there's a power cut or if the electricity has to be turned off to dig the road?
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Similar matter on the A12, where there's a ten mile section between Stratford St Mary and Stanway - a ten mile stretch either side of Colchester, straddling over the Suffolk border - at 40mph, whilst they replace sections of the barrier, and carry out other works overnight with closures. Must be a real drag if coming down from Ipswich down the incline. Set to be in place for a few months as well.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 13:54
However the manually variable temporary speed limit signs were a very welcome innovation :thumbsup:. I assume there's a button and motor to change them, or is there a handle to turn? Can they all be changed remotely, or does someone have to drive along changing them all individually?
I'm guessing that the solar panels on top mean that they're able to be altered remotely, rather than someone having to go and physically change each one.

the only reason I can think of for not using the variable speed limits is that they may need to turn them off as part of the work?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Runwell wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 13:58 Similar matter on the A12, where there's a ten mile section between Stratford St Mary and Stanway - a ten mile stretch either side of Colchester, straddling over the Suffolk border - at 40mph, whilst they replace sections of the barrier, and carry out other works overnight with closures. Must be a real drag if coming down from Ipswich down the incline. Set to be in place for a few months as well.
The A63 into Hull had this last year too, miles and miles of open carriageway but a 40 limit in case there was a crossover. Rather makes a mockery of the single carriageway limit being 60?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

c2R wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 21:31 I'm guessing that the solar panels on top mean that they're able to be altered remotely, rather than someone having to go and physically change each one.
Probably, but it could just mean there's a motor but no communications equipment, so someone has to visit each one to press a button.