A414 through Hemel Hempstead (Primary or Non Primary)

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

A414 through Hemel Hempstead (Primary or Non Primary)

Post by roadphotos »

Is the section of the A414 from the A41 (through Hemel Hempstead) to the M1 a Primary Route or not. All maps and atlases show it as Non Primary (coloured red) but all of the signage at every junction along the whole of this section of the A414 show the road as being a Primary Route (all of the signs are green). Even the signs on other roads such as the A4146 show the A414 as Primary while other roads on the same signs are shown as Non Primary. Does anyone know for sure ?, also I've changed the Wiki slightly as it said the the A414 had always started on the A41 (now A4251) at Apsley but it's original starting point was at Boxmoor.
Patrick Harper

Re: A414 through Hemel Hempstead (Primary or Non Primary)

Post by Patrick Harper »

According to the 2020 edition of the OS Road 8 map, the A414 is non-primary from the A41 to M1 J7.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Patrick Harper wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 13:38 According to the 2020 edition of the OS Road 8 map, the A414 is non-primary from the A41 to M1 J7.
According to the 2022 edition available on SABRE Maps it is today, and has been since at least 2010.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

trickstat

Post by trickstat »

I can understand why it isn't primary here as I would think that only a very small proportion of the traffic on it in Hemel is using it all the way from the A41 to the M1. If you are, for example, heading south down the A41 to get to most places east of Hemel it would usually be quicker to continue to the M25.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

trickstat wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 23:57 I can understand why it isn't primary here as I would think that only a very small proportion of the traffic on it in Hemel is using it all the way from the A41 to the M1. If you are, for example, heading south down the A41 to get to most places east of Hemel it would usually be quicker to continue to the M25.
Coming the other way I would take the A414 from Hatfield to the Park Street Roundabout and then the A405 to M25 J21A and then head SW to J20 for the A41, Hemel is always slow and often a nightmare.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

But
KeithW wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:06
trickstat wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 23:57 I can understand why it isn't primary here as I would think that only a very small proportion of the traffic on it in Hemel is using it all the way from the A41 to the M1. If you are, for example, heading south down the A41 to get to most places east of Hemel it would usually be quicker to continue to the M25.
Coming the other way I would take the A414 from Hatfield to the Park Street Roundabout and then the A405 to M25 J21A and then head SW to J20 for the A41, Hemel is always slow and often a nightmare.
I can't say that the section of the north orbital to Park Street is much better - when I regularly used to travel in that area at rush hour I'd often go via the Bell and Welham Green to skip the inevitable queues on it...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Looking at all of my maps and atlases only the 'AA' still show it as Primary, all of the others (OS, A-Z and Collins) show it as Non Primary. The only thing that I can't understand is why the signs still say Primary as this will probably be another place where when the signs are due to be replaced they will simply copy the old signs and they will always say Primary.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

This is a bit of a bump but I found a more reliable source than OS, at least for Herts' network. Sure enough, the A414 through Hemel has been non-primary for at least a decade, though new green signs still go up occasionally in error.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

If you leave the M1 at J8 the first sign you see is this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.75437,- ... &entry=ttu

It seems to get confused after that.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7498807 ... &entry=ttu