A27 Worthing and Lancing improvement

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

Re: A27 Worthing and Lancing improvement

Post by SteveA30 »

By sheer accident, the 3 sets of lights on the A27 west of Lewes, may all be removed. The Arundel set at the unfinished GSJ at at A284 will be bypassed and hopefully removed, once A27 traffic has gone.

The other 2 are less certain, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-57736487 Ikea pulled out of their plan last year but, a recent journey showed hundreds of houses under construction next to Shoreham Airport. I'm not sure if the new rbt and removal of the lights where the Hunter crashed is still going ahead though.

Lastly, the lights on the Chichester bypass are removed for general traffic. I believe it may be for buses only in future, still, less usage than before. So, 1 out of 3, 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 3?
Last edited by SteveA30 on Fri Jun 24, 2022 07:13, edited 2 times in total.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Phil

Post by Phil »

SteveA30 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 21:00
The other 2 are less certain, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-57736487 Ikea pulled out of their plan last year but, a recent journey showed hundreds of houses under construction next to Shoreham Airport. I'm not sure if the new rbt and removal of the lights where the Hunter crashed is still going ahead though.
The new roundabout wasn't just for Ikea - the large housing estate was part of the plan from the start and is obviously unaffected by the Ikea pullout.

Supposedly Ikea were going to sell the store to someone else but in todays challenging retail environment I could see the part built store being pulled down and yet more houses built instead.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Phil wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 21:18
SteveA30 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 21:00
The new roundabout wasn't just for Ikea - the large housing estate was part of the plan from the start and is obviously unaffected by the Ikea pullout.

Supposedly Ikea were going to sell the store to someone else but in todays challenging retail environment I could see the part built store being pulled down and yet more houses built instead.
The roundabout is still going ahead, and preliminary works have commenced. If you look at Google Earth and select history button, you can see the side as of March 2022, for whatever reason by default and on Google Maps it shows April 2019.
Sussex Pad Roundabout.PNG
Sussex Pad Roundabout.PNG (360.04 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
The roundabout will also have its Northern arm linking to Lancing College, and the Crossroads will be completely closed up - initially this was going to be a LILO.
Drawings for the roundabout can be found here - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1991345

The Ikea building is no longer planned to be constructed (although the planning application would still allow any other company to build the physical store to and use it to the approved use code). I believe that the all stakeholders are wanting that land to use utilised for retail, although I presume if there is no interest in the coming years they may allow it to be used for other purposes.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

jervi wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 21:51Drawings for the roundabout can be found here - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1991345
Ugh, another brand new roundabout signalised from the outset. I think I did know that at one time and must have forgotten. It's so disappointing.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

So that seems to be 2 out of 3 to be removed or bypassed. I don't count signalised rbts as the rbt would still be there anyway.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 21:55
jervi wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 21:51Drawings for the roundabout can be found here - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1991345
Ugh, another brand new roundabout signalised from the outset. I think I did know that at one time and must have forgotten. It's so disappointing.
And?

Given the A27 crashes into a roundabout just as it enters Lancing 800 yards to the west I really don't see this as the end of the world. Certainly there is zero justification for a GSJ unless Lancing gets a by-pass

Given the dominant flow on the A27 signalisation is probably necessary to allow traffic on the other arms the opportunity to get onto the roundabout. Yes I suppose you could put in place another straight signal controlled crossroads instead is that really any better?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Phil wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 22:24
And?

Given the A27 crashes into a roundabout just as it enters Lancing 800 yards to the west I really don't see this as the end of the world. Certainly there is zero justification for a GSJ unless Lancing gets a by-pass

Given the dominant flow on the A27 signalisation is probably necessary to allow traffic on the other arms the opportunity to get onto the roundabout. Yes I suppose you could put in place another straight signal controlled crossroads instead is that really any better?
Yes, it is better. A brand new junction being built from scratch should be appropriate to the level of traffic it's going to carry. If a roundabout cannot handle the predicted traffic flows then a roundabout should not be built. A properly designed signalised junction, with appropriate channelisation and turning lanes, is better for traffic flow (since it can offer direct paths through the junction and fewer signal stages for motor traffic) and better for non-motorised users (who can take a more direct line through the junction, often with fewer crossings, rather than having to walk around a roundabout). They are also easier to use for cyclists and can incorporate high quality cycle infrastructure more straightforwardly.

Signalisation of roundabouts is something that can be done where an existing junction is overloaded and there isn't the space, money or will to replace it with something else, but it is always a poor compromise and ought to be a last resort. They should never be built brand new. But unfortunately we now have so many of them that the "signalised roundabout" has - wrongly, IMV - gained legitimacy as a type of junction in its own right. It's an unfortunate result of decades of capacity upgrades on the cheap that mean the highway engineering profession has a wealth of experience designing and installing these dysfunctional Frankenstein junctions, so they become the cookie-cutter answer when a new junction is needed.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Indeed, two examples of rbts built with signalisation are A4/A46 and A38/link road to A370. The first is too small for stacking more than a couple of cars and neither have been tried without the signals, so there is no data to prove whether they are actually necessary or not. A 2 week trial without the lights should be enough to clarify the situation.
xnx

Post by xnx »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 23:19
Phil wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 22:24
And?

Yes, it is better. A brand new junction being built from scratch should be appropriate to the level of traffic it's going to carry. If a roundabout cannot handle the predicted traffic flows then a roundabout should not be built. A properly designed signalised junction, with appropriate channelisation and turning lanes, is better for traffic flow (since it can offer direct paths through the junction and fewer signal stages for motor traffic) and better for non-motorised users (who can take a more direct line through the junction, often with fewer crossings, rather than having to walk around a roundabout). They are also easier to use for cyclists and can incorporate high quality cycle infrastructure more straightforwardly.

Signalisation of roundabouts is something that can be done where an existing junction is overloaded and there isn't the space, money or will to replace it with something else, but it is always a poor compromise and ought to be a last resort. They should never be built brand new. But unfortunately we now have so many of them that the "signalised roundabout" has - wrongly, IMV - gained legitimacy as a type of junction in its own right. It's an unfortunate result of decades of capacity upgrades on the cheap that mean the highway engineering profession has a wealth of experience designing and installing these dysfunctional Frankenstein junctions, so they become the cookie-cutter answer when a new junction is needed.
I think a signalised junction would have been better like Birch Coppice on the A5 which has a double turn provisioned to the industrial areas.
jervi

Post by jervi »

TRO Consultation open from Thursday for the new roundabout works.
Plans are here: https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/media/17930/adr9017.pdf

Includes closing of roads at Sussex Pad crossroads and U-turn facilities.

Includes speed limit plan. Existing 40mph boundary on the Western side stays the same. Roundabout is 50mph and from / to both A27 approaches/exits. The side arms of the roundabout will be 30mph.

Also according to one.network the weekend closures will be starting in a few months time. Currently there is only night time lane closures.
Full Closures:
16 Dec 20:00 - 19 Dec 06:00
6 Jan 2023 20:00 - 9 Jan 2023 06:00
13 Jan 2023 20:00 - 16 Jan 2023 06:00
20 Jan 2023 20:00 - 23 Jan 2023 06:00
27 Jan 2023 20:00 - 30 Jan 2023 06:00
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Apparently there's a long term plan to build a tunnel for the A27 around Worthing. They hope to start construction between 2045 and 2050.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

It isn't too bad if it means losing the lights there. With Crossbush lights replaced by the Arundel bypass and I believe, the Chichester lights at Oving converted to LILO(?) or a bus only crossroads, there will be only the Sompting crossroads lights remaining. Only a full Worthing bypass can sort that one out but overall, a big improvement...eventually.
Herned

Post by Herned »

How does a signallised roundabout mean losing the lights?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

roadphotos wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 21:27 Apparently there's a long term plan to build a tunnel for the A27 around Worthing. They hope to start construction between 2045 and 2050.
Reading the article it sounds more like wishful thinking by the council than a plan.
https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/susse ... ed-7551537
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/2111929 ... along-a27/

There would be little possibility of reducing carbon emissions, which seems to be the main justification, as by then we are supposed to have phased out internal combustion engined cars !

There is no way the local council could raise the £2 billion price tag, this sounds like the 21st century version of the East Coast Motorway of myth and fable.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

KeithW wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 08:37There is no way the local council could raise the £2 billion price tag, this sounds like the 21st century version of the East Coast Motorway of myth and fable.
They shouldn't need to - the A27 is a trunk route so the money would come from National Highways, who do have the resources for projects on that scale if they choose to pursue them. As Jackal mentions upthread, there's a consultation due later this year in which NH are widely expected to include a tunnel option as one of the long term solutions, and this has been hinted at by Transport for the South East as well as the local councils. I think all you're seeing at this stage is local councils hoping for a tunnel and laying the groundwork by lobbying NH via the local press. So not really a mythical East Coast Motorway, more an aspirational project in the very earliest stages of development.
jervi

Post by jervi »

New consultation will be held from Monday 6th February till Sunday 19th March. According to the A27 scheme page, nothing mentioned on the Worthing & Lancing page.
It appears that these consultations will be on "short-term" improvements which may start as early as 2025.
Interestingly they are resurfacing and repairing the road between Sompting and Lancing from 6th Feb till 18th April. Surely this has to be terrible asset management...
jervi

Post by jervi »

Consultation is open (opened over an hour early)
https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.co ... sultation/
The consultation is on four main parts of the corridor.
1 - Offinton Corner (roundabout).
There is only one option and that involves all approaches to be widened to three lanes, with two exit lanes & with presumed Toucan crossings on all arms (entry & exits). The minor arm onto Goodwood Road would be closed.

2 - Grove Lodge Roundabout.
There are two options at Grove Lodge Roundabout.
The first option is widening of the circular carriageway to provide 4 lanes instead of three on two of the sides, as well as widening the A27 Eastbound approach and exit from the roundabout to provide two through lanes. Additional Toucan crossings would also be provided across the A24 Entry/Exit.
The second option is to "validate and optimise" existing signals, and keep the layout the same. - You'd like to think they do this regardless.

3 - Lyons Way Junction & Upper Brighton Road Junction.
Apart from keeping it as is, there is only one option.
There is only one option here as well. It involves widening the approaches and exits of the junctions to mostly three lanes throughout, with an additional fourth right turning lane, this would require consutrction of a retaining wall to facilitate the additional carriageway width. The Western junction (Sompting Road) will become one-way Northbound on the Northern side to allow optimisation of the junction. In addition the minor residental road, Hadley Avenue would have its junction with the A27 stopped up. Very little improvement for NMU's with only a currently uncontrolled left turn would come under signal control for a pedestrian crossing, and one staggered pedestrian crossing would become in-line.

4 - Upper Brighton Road
A section of Upper Brighton Road (the very old A27 which is S1.5) would be made one-way Eastbound between "The Templars" and "Church Lane". There would be a contra-flow cycle lane, this road is part of the West Sussex's draft Local Cycling and Walking Improvement Plan.

5 - Busticle Lane Junction
Additional though lane A27 Eastbound (which merges after the junction). Exit from parade of shops closed off from A27 & left turning traffic on Northern side of junction to be under signal control (existing giveway) to allow a pedestrian crossing to be installed.

NMU Improvements.
The individual junctions show new Toucan and Puffin crossings would be provided as part of the scheme, however the project to link them all together would not be funded within the existing budget, instead it would have to come from the designated funds budget - I think this is stupid, its part of the RIS scheme, therefor it should be funded from the same pot like how the A27 East of Lewes scheme included £12m on a new 12km NMU paths.

That aside, the proposed NMU path would run beside the A27, within the highway boundary by the looks of it between Durrington Hill (near Western side of Worthing) through to Grove Lodge Roundabout where it would join a short section of "segregated" NMU path which quickly turns into a sub-par shared use pavement. This proposed path would be 4m wide where possible, with a white line giving cyclists 2.5m and pedestrian 1.5m, although the path may narrow to 3m where 4m cannot be achieved. The path will be no closer than 0.5m from the carriageway.

Within the scheme additional VMS are to be located at key decision points along the A27, and bus stops upgraded to include real-time passenger information.

The cost of the scheme is expected to be around the £30m mark

From the SABRE Wiki: Offinton Corner :
... Read More
jnty

Post by jnty »

jervi wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 23:56 NMU Improvements.
The individual junctions show new Toucan and Puffin crossings would be provided as part of the scheme, however the project to link them all together would not be funded within the existing budget, instead it would have to come from the designated funds budget - I think this is stupid, its part of the RIS scheme, therefor it should be funded from the same pot like how the A27 East of Lewes scheme included £12m on a new 12km NMU paths.
I would agree with this. Cynically, I think the motivation is that spending huge amounts on NMU infrastructure alongside roads schemes burns active travel budget allocations very effectively and avoids the need to identify and design NMU-focused schemes that would deliver greater benefits. It's also poltically much easier to put in glorified pavements by rural roads and add toucans to junctions that were going to be signalised anyway than to reallocate road space in urban centres.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Works for the new A27 roundabout at Lancing (Monks Farm) has been under major construction requiring road closures (Westbound) over the past two weekends and again this upcoming weekend.

Eastbound Traffic is now running around the roundabout. Westbound traffic is not tied into the roundabout yet, nor are the traffic signals installed.

https://twitter.com/brightonsnapper/sta ... 5178170375
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

The contractor building the new roundabout for the Shoreham airport Monks Farm development appears to be going into administration and so construction work has currently halted...

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/tr ... n26aLleUp4

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-road ... anor-farm/