Streetview South Africa

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Streetview South Africa

Post by Chris5156 »

booshank wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 23:56 Streetview also answers a question I was thinking of: how would they upgrade the S4 rural main roads that are quite common in South Africa? It seems the solution is simple, turn the original road into a three lane carriageway and build a new two lane carriageway alongside.

Before

After
That's a road with some serious futureproofing! The original intention seems to be that the S4 would ultimately be one carriageway of a dual 3 setup with hard shoulders, but if the new carriageway is only D2, the upgrade surely wasn't about capacity. Was it a safety upgrade?
booshank

Re: Streetview South Africa

Post by booshank »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 09:01
booshank wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 23:56 Streetview also answers a question I was thinking of: how would they upgrade the S4 rural main roads that are quite common in South Africa? It seems the solution is simple, turn the original road into a three lane carriageway and build a new two lane carriageway alongside.

Before

After
That's a road with some serious futureproofing! The original intention seems to be that the S4 would ultimately be one carriageway of a dual 3 setup with hard shoulders, but if the new carriageway is only D2, the upgrade surely wasn't about capacity. Was it a safety upgrade?
I somehow doubt the original intention was D3, as that would be pretty unusual for a rural (rather than suburban or urban) road in South Africa - traffic volumes simply don't require it. So I'm thinking it was originally built/planned to be S2 with wide shoulders or S2+1 which could be turned into one carriageway of a D2. But for some reason they scrimped on an upgrade and built S4, despite or before SANRAL's findings that S4 has few savings compared with D2 and a lot of disadvantages.