Rare Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Rare Roadsigns

Post by Chris Bertram »

Alderpoint wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 16:05 This is the only "graphical" no-SatNav sign I've seen (assuming that is what it means).

https://goo.gl/maps/3kR9TPmNnJzNy1mx7

I'm actually pretty impressed that the googlecar made it down the road even beyond this point.
Here's another: https://goo.gl/maps/MYkuZ97XUWAnvYqv8
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 16:48
Alderpoint wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 16:05 This is the only "graphical" no-SatNav sign I've seen (assuming that is what it means).

https://goo.gl/maps/3kR9TPmNnJzNy1mx7

I'm actually pretty impressed that the googlecar made it down the road even beyond this point.
Here's another: https://goo.gl/maps/MYkuZ97XUWAnvYqv8
A Welsh speciality maybe? But not quite sure what the potential problem is there, except maybe for anything turning N onto Victoria Road across the valley.
Let it snow.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I’m sure I’ve seen those graphic no-satnav signs somewhere down the A442 between Bridgnorth and Kidderminster but I can’t see it on the street view.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
jnty

Post by jnty »

Occurs to be that this "fire lane" signage and layout, which has been around for decades, is pretty unusual?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Rgr7Jr2zKzfU6nhr8
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

jnty wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 23:57 Occurs to be that this "fire lane" signage and layout, which has been around for decades, is pretty unusual?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Rgr7Jr2zKzfU6nhr8
Very. Whoever designed it was at pains to put signs up for pedestrians, warning to look left/look right - there's three or four on each side of the road. I like that, where the Fire Lane emerges onto the main road around the corner, it looks strange because it has no give way line or other priority marking, but that's presumably because the only thing emerging will be a fire engine on blue lights and it will be taking priority over all else!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Big L wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 20:39 I’m sure I’ve seen those graphic no-satnav signs somewhere down the A442 between Bridgnorth and Kidderminster but I can’t see it on the street view.
You may be thinking of this sign, which isn't graphic but does advise to ignore sat-nav.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

swissferry

Post by swissferry »

SOS signs are generally incorporated in a blue parking, emergency refuge area or distance sign.

I think ones without the blue background are rare but were more common in the past.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 13:47 Differential weight limit
Is that sign actually correct? Buses and coaches aren't goods vehicles, so I don't see the exception plate actually has any effect.

The warning signs seem to disagree with the restriction (and each other), too:
Rowsley and Baslow Nothing over 7.5 tonnes (weight, not MGW), no exceptions.
Beeley No HGVs over 7.5 tonnes MGW, no exceptions
Pilsley Nothing over 7.5 tonnes MGW, no exceptions
Both signs at the bridge - No HGVs over 7.5 tonnes MGW, except HGVs that are buses and are under 13.5 tonnes.
the cheesecake man

SteelCamel wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 13:48
Is that sign actually correct? Buses and coaches aren't goods vehicles, so I don't see the exception plate actually has any effect.
:facepalm: Err good point I didn't think of that.
the cheesecake man

Signs in Maltby take the rare step of referring to East Retford rather than just Retford.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 13:18 Signs in Maltby take the rare step of referring to East Retford rather than just Retford.
The sign at the actual A634 junction does likewise. And it's odd, because if you take A634 you will in fact arrive in West Retford first!

PhilC

Post by PhilC »

the cheesecake man wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 17:29
SteelCamel wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 13:48
:facepalm: Err good point I didn't think of that.
How about this one then? I presume the exception was to allow a long discontinued bus service to cross this bridge.

https://goo.gl/maps/Qd4aJqo5hPSkPiKy6

In the opposite direction, however, there aren't any axle weight limit signs at the bridge, implying anything can cross it. The only clue is this information sign at the end of the lane, partially hidden by the ford sign.

https://goo.gl/maps/iGSurujcmxHxUZRW9
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Reminded me of these no vehicle over 6T per axle and no track laying vehicles signs.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

I've not seen one of these before...

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5687806 ... 384!8i8192

Looks like nothing special, but the dates get regularly updated... all the way into 2022. Interestingly, the dates themselves seem to get patched now and then.

I wonder what defines an "event". Usually with parking restriction signs for "event days", there's no specific date mentioned so it always struck me as very ambiguous.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

tom66 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:11 I've not seen one of these before...

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5687806 ... 384!8i8192

Looks like nothing special, but the dates get regularly updated... all the way into 2022. Interestingly, the dates themselves seem to get patched now and then.

I wonder what defines an "event". Usually with parking restriction signs for "event days", there's no specific date mentioned so it always struck me as very ambiguous.
The ones by the (former) Ricoh Arena in Coventry have not only specific dates but specific times too.
Let it snow.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 13:18 Signs in Maltby take the rare step of referring to East Retford rather than just Retford.
Closely followed by the school boy error of a green background flag pointing to a non-primary route.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Not a plate I've seen before. But the local kids seem to ignore it.
Let it snow.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Conekicker wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 14:48
Closely followed by the school boy error of a green background flag pointing to a non-primary route.
Another flag sign with the same problem further along, also referring to "East Retford" despite the route entering via the West!
the cheesecake man

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 13:46
The sign at the actual A634 junction does likewise. And it's odd, because if you take A634 you will in fact arrive in West Retford first!
Technically true but West Retford barely exists whereas East Retford is a market town so is worth signing. However only the signwriters of Maltby call it East Retford. Everybody else calls it Retford, for example Network Rail. Similarly noone refers to West Hartlepool.