Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Conekicker »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 20:21
SteelCamel wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 16:33 Yes, that's true. I'd never noticed it, but the standard symbol does have the truck going left. And now I think of it, vehicles on signs are usually going left (if they're not front-on). Though I suppose for a road to the right it might make sense to paint a right-going truck, it's definitely non-standard.
I'm not qualified to comment on the standard but following this comment I've been paying more attention to this interesting detail :rolleyes: and it does seem to vary depending on which way the lorry would be going.

Here the weight limit is on the road to the left so the lorry is facing left. Approach from the other direction and the lorry is facing right.

Same here.

And it's not just a Sheffield City Council oddity because here's Leeds City Council doing the same.
Some symbols used on signs are reversible. Look through this lot to find out which ones:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... chedule-12

See also TSM7 for the design rules.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Conekicker wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 20:49 Some symbols used on signs are reversible. Look through this lot to find out which ones:

:thumbsup: Cheers!
:cool: Like it!
lorry.png
Is it really necessary to state that the grid shouldn't be included on the sign? :laugh:
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 20:58
Conekicker wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 20:49 Some symbols used on signs are reversible. Look through this lot to find out which ones:

:thumbsup: Cheers!
:cool: Like it!
lorry.png

Is it really necessary to state that the grid shouldn't be included on the sign? :laugh:
Better safe than sorry. Especially given the standard of some staff these days...
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

jervi

Post by jervi »

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Here too: https://goo.gl/maps/w4qVnHXmRLVBxkmb9. The issue is that new build roads like that so often get 50 limits that it would be unsurprising if most motorists assumed 50 in the absence of other evidence, even though the law says something else.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Four signs for roundabouts with bus lane bypass:
Ardeer Roundabout heading NE - clearly botched
Ardeer Roundabout heading SW - I think adding the oncoming bus lane bypass is unnecessary, confusing and possibly botched
Hawkhill Roundabout heading NE - same as previous
Hawkhill Roundabout heading SW - probably botched - should this have a bus/cycle/taxi only sign?
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

swissferry wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 19:50 Four signs for roundabouts with bus lane bypass:
Ardeer Roundabout heading NE - clearly botched
Ardeer Roundabout heading SW - I think adding the oncoming bus lane bypass is unnecessary, confusing and possibly botched
Hawkhill Roundabout heading NE - same as previous
Hawkhill Roundabout heading SW - probably botched - should this have a bus/cycle/taxi only sign?
There are 3 ways to fix those signs:

1) Insert a 20 stroke width blue bus roundel (probably TSRGD S12-20-36) into the bus lane arm and push the roundabout symbol much further away from the dedicated bus lane. God knows how huuuuuge that would make the map-type symbol though or
2) Completely delete all reference to the bus lane from the map-type symbol, as it's irrelevant to most traffic using the roundabout or
3) Replace the solid stubs indicating the bus lane with "ghost" stubs, as shown on Diagram 2123 (S12-28-6). Sadly TSM7 doesn't show the design rules for these (unless it's buried in the text somewhere and I can't be bothered to check). Although dimensions are given on the WD for 2123:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -p2123.pdf

As a first stab at it, I'd go with 3 for simplicity, given there is other signing, including road markings, present that should make it clear that it's a bus lane and not for use by other traffic. However, given that such a layout isn't shown or listed as a variation to any of the map-type symbols in TSRGD S12-7, I suspect these signs would need authorising by the relevant national organisation.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

How do you let traffic know they are approaching traffic signals? Not like this, in Weston-super-Mare:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.34124 ... 8192?hl=en
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Conekicker wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 17:32 How do you let traffic know they are approaching traffic signals? Not like this, in Weston-super-Mare:
How's about this then?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BqiaSznUqtYJh1mh7
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

What about a No Entry No Entry?
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 23:13
Conekicker wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 17:32 How do you let traffic know they are approaching traffic signals? Not like this, in Weston-super-Mare:
How's about this then?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BqiaSznUqtYJh1mh7
Better. Shame it's non-prescribed though.
the cheesecake man

This white patch on a green flag sign doesn't look normal. It's true you have to leave the primary route onto a non-primary route later to reach Stocksbridge. But that's hardly unusual. For example here at Baslow, Rowsley isn't on a white patch. The road to Rowsley and Matlock is non-primary but signs don't reflect that until you reach it.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

the cheesecake man wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 20:21 This white patch on a green flag sign doesn't look normal. It's true you have to leave the primary route onto a non-primary route later to reach Stocksbridge. But that's hardly unusual. For example here at Baslow, Rowsley isn't on a white patch. The road to Rowsley and Matlock is non-primary but signs don't reflect that until you reach it.
It's wrong, pure and simple.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I don't know whether this belongs in this thread or elsewhere.

I was driving along the M5 today when the variable message sign read "Report of Accident" and there was a 60 sign in a red circle. A little further along there was a variable message sign showing the derestricted NSL symbol. Nothing unusual in this you may think. However this section of motorway was subject to a 50mph limit because of roadworks. I presume the 50mph limit, being lower, overrides the variable message sign in these circumstances, which is the opposite to what I would normally expect.
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

PhilC wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 19:32 I don't know whether this belongs in this thread or elsewhere.

I was driving along the M5 today when the variable message sign read "Report of Accident" and there was a 60 sign in a red circle. A little further along there was a variable message sign showing the derestricted NSL symbol. Nothing unusual in this you may think. However this section of motorway was subject to a 50mph limit because of roadworks. I presume the 50mph limit, being lower, overrides the variable message sign in these circumstances, which is the opposite to what I would normally expect.
Its fairly common for the overhead gantries to display 40 on this 30 limit as GSV has captured.
the cheesecake man

Are there any rules about sign height? :paperbag: This sign in Bakewell is barely off the ground.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 13:40 Are there any rules about sign height? :paperbag: This sign in Bakewell is barely off the ground.
I've seen things like that in Conservation areas, usually it's small signs such permit parking signs that are a few inches off the ground though.