A64 Rillington Sink Hole

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

NICK 647063

A64 Rillington Sink Hole

Post by NICK 647063 »

So this afternoon the A64 had to fully close due to a sink hole, teams are onsite this evening already trying to fix, it’s a big job, probably couldn’t be at a worse time considering it’s the summer holidays, the sink hole is right in the middle of Rillington just east of Malton, National highways say minimum closure of 24 hours but could be weeks in the worst case, depending what is found beneath.
Attachments
A64 Rillington
A64 Rillington
Lockwood

Re: A64 Rillington Sink Hole

Post by Lockwood »

Shall I get it out of the way?

"National Highways staff are looking into it."

I did it so you don't have to.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

"Yup, that's a hole"

Investigation complete?

I wonder how long it'll take to be repaired... I'm consistently amazed by the Japanese example of getting a busy city street going in just 7 days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnXNefDarjM
doebag

Post by doebag »

I don’t know the area but looking on google maps it looks like a long closure and consequently a very long diversion.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Diversion...!??

Is the old A30 involved? :roll:
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Anglian Water have taken several years to fix some here in Lincolnshire, one in Boston Road South, Holbeach has been on/off for 3 years or more.
The problem here is that the area is artificially drained and there’s still slow moving rivers of silt underground. It’s a quick fix to fill the hole & resurface but it always comes back again.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Sounds like it was down to a large water main burst, I know after all the dry weather then a bit of rain in the last few days the ground has moved causing issues, also the ground there is pure sand so once a main goes it blows the ground out easy, if only Rillington had a bypass! Latest estimate is 48 hours to get the A64 back up and running.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Some years ago there were major problems on the Madingley Road in Cambridge where a burst water main had been eroding the road base for some time before it was discovered and the fix took a long time. This is an increasing problem with utility services using cast iron and will require a proper plan to manage it.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Yet more evidence of the dire need for a long overdue bypass.