Skipped a red tempoary light

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

qwertyK

Skipped a red tempoary light

Post by qwertyK »

Coming home from work and I don't know who put these tempoary traffic lights there but they were placed in a ridiculous place causing traffic to back up through a proper , permeant traffic light junction. I get towards the start of the tempoary lights and within two seconds they changed back to red. I'll look at my dashcam to see what happened again but I think the guys must have been finishing their works because they gestured towards the guy in front to go through the red and I followed.

I've looked at the highways map and there doesn't appear to be any notice for a permit for works so might just be builders, are the lights legally binding if they're not council etc?

EDIT: they might be council authority actually eek. I've looked at the video and four cars in front of me jumped them so I just followed, assuming they were being taken down or something

Is it worth contacting the roadworks providing and asking them, as it looks like the roadworks were either just being put up or taken down, I can't see how four cars in front of me would have jumped the lights without coming to the conclusion they werent working etc
Conekicker

Re: Skipped a red tempoary light

Post by Conekicker »

Ask yourself this question, "What does a red light mean?"
Whether they were in the process of being removed or not is irrelevant.
Had the coning been removed, opening the carriageway up to it's normal width?
The usual way to take temporary signals out of use is to turn the head away from traffic.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

Conekicker wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 20:11 Ask yourself this question, "What does a red light mean?"
Whether they were in the process of being removed or not is irrelevant.
Had the coning been removed, opening the carriageway up to it's normal width?
The usual way to take temporary signals out of use is to turn the head away from traffic.
It looked like they were taking the lights or moving the signs. I also guessed perhaps wrongly the time of day being about 7PM they were finishing.
As I said about 4-5 cars in front of me ran the light so I assumed the guy gestured at them to pass, either they were finishing or there was a fault with the lights as it was only green for about 7 seconds
avtur

Post by avtur »

The question is ... what was seen and by whom. There is simply zero chance of enforcement if there was no enforcement technology in place, which for temporary work is highly unlikely.

To enforce a breaking of the law you need evidence that a law was broken and a mechanism to capture the evidence of law breaking and then a mechanism to support a prosecution.

There is simply no chance that this was in place ...

Compliance in these situations is all down to personal moral values. But if you don't comply there is almost zero chance of enforcement action.
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

avtur wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 20:19 The question is ... what was seen and by whom. There is simply zero chance of enforcement if there was no enforcement technology in place, which for temporary work is highly unlikely.

To enforce a breaking of the law you need evidence that a law was broken and a mechanism to capture the evidence of law breaking and then a mechanism to support a prosecution.

There is simply no chance that this was in place ...

Compliance in these situations is all down to personal moral values. But if you don't comply there is almost zero chance of enforcement action.

I actually just went back to speak to the guys. They said they saw me but they're not going to report me or the other drivers, I felt like an idiot asking but whatever. They said though the ones in central london have cameras which seems like BS but I'll take their word for it.

Theoretically though someone could have a dashcam (like I do) and report it, though whether the police do anything about it is a different matter as I've sent in stuff before. this one trime this idiot driving a van swerved into my lane at 50mph and nearly hit me and the police did sweet fa. Same time I sent in a clip when I was driving and the camera i had filmed a man assaulting a woman at a bus stop