Local Road Projects

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

droopsnoot

Re: Local Road Projects

Post by droopsnoot »

brummie_rob wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 23:34 The fact there is a reasonable underpass makes this even worse.
I questioned the need for a pedestrian crossing when there is a perfectly good underpass on a local Facebook group. I wish I hadn't. As I recall it the pedestrian crossing is for those who prefer not to use the underpass. I can understand that if it's like the underpass in "Harry Brown", but I'd expect a new one to be a bit nicer. I also wonder how many people need to use a crossing there anyway, but I'm not going to ask.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Will the underpass be retained or closed?
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

SteveA30 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 19:54 Will the underpass be retained or closed?
The underpass is brand new and was a cut and cover job. It serves a footpath which runs down to the Riverside and heads up towards Reaseheath college. However this wasn't deemed good enough, the area is not rough and an underpass won't have ASB I wouldn't have thought!
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Project underway during the school holidays on Maypole Road, just north of Heybridge, which is shut whilst they build a staggered junction, as part of a future housing development. Been causing big delays through Heybridge and even Maldon, including the A414, so shudder to think how bad it would have been at any other time. Be a shame to see the end of a nice flat 60 section of road, as the new junction will be set at 40, but that's what they call progress.
In the long run, they are set to build a link road that runs from the B1018 to the east of Langford, to the B1022 just north of the existing Heybridge boundary, as part of a future development of the area. Not sure if it's being designed to be a link road for the new estates, or a genuine bypass for Northern Heybridge? At present, traffic going from Maldon to Heybridge has to snake along the B1022, over an old bridge, plus squeezing between some old buildings. Often a very busy section of road, so if this new road is used to take traffic away from Maldon and Central Heybridge, it may be sensible in the long run.
droopsnoot

Post by droopsnoot »

brummie_rob wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 17:56
danfw194 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:22 Thanks for the answers. I'm heading this way Easter Friday, doesn't sound like it will be finished by then unless they kick into gear.
Now delayed until Summer to install a pedestrian crossing (despite there being an underpass for horses/cycles/people):

https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2022/03/3 ... th-bypass/
"Still being assessed" and "not our fault" suggests that work hasn't started on the crossing yet. https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2022/08/1 ... -says-cec/
jackal

Post by jackal »

Ben302 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 23:53 Medway Council as part of its local regeneration programme have started work on improvements to the A289 to increase capacity at certain places on the route. The first stages were completed via contributions from Asda and involved upgrading Gillingham Gate to provide a new entrance to Asda and a new, wider entrance to the Docks plus adding a 3rd lane through the junction. along with upgrading the Strand Roundabout to add an extra lane on the appraches and make it bigger. This was completed a few years ago and now the focus has switched to the Medway City estate, sans Pareil and four Elms roundabouts. The first phase is due to be completed next week and involves adding a freeflow slip around the outside of the roundabout so that traffic heading from Anthony's Way on the MCE and are heading west towards the Sans Pareil and the M2 can by-pass the roundabout and filter into the road up the hill. However it will be bisected by an existing toucan crossing. Also the works are massively overrunning having been started in September last year. the traffic management has also been a cause of frustration as the Medway Tunnel has been reduced to 1 lane westbound since last year and has a 30mph limit and the queues are often back to Gillingham Gate at peak times. Phase two which is due to start next year will see the road from the MCE widened to 3 lanes up the hill to a relocated Sans Pareil roundabout with free-flow left turns provided on all arms and the Wainscott by-pass widened to 3 lanes up to the Four Elms roundabout, which will be made bigger and include left turn freeflows for the A228 and A289 movements.
This sounds quite decent for local authority work. If only NH had a similar willingness to use cheap freeflow solutions.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Went through Methley Lanes to the A642 to see that the B6135 Newmarket Lane has been built on a completely new alignment with wide footways and cycle paths and a new roundabout midpoint. The old road is used for access. My guess is Amazon paid for it all as opposed to Wakefield Council. It's much better as the narrow bends have gone. Quite a surprise because I didn't see much about this in the local press. Effectively its a small bypass seeing how the properties along the route are no longer on the B6135.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Planning permission has been granted for a load of demolition within Ennistymon in County Clare to build a replacement for the historic stone arch bridge in the town centre - further details are linked from the wiki page here: Ennistimon
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: Ennistimon :

Ennistimon is a market town in County Clare in the west of Ireland. It is an intermediate destination on the N67 and a terminal destination on the N85.

Note that the official English-language spelling Ennistimon is used on all directional signs, although the alternative spelling Ennistymon may also be seen in other contexts.

In September 2022 Clare County Council were given

... Read More
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

Oxfordshire County Council improvements to the A423 (part of the Oxford southern bypass) including a new left-turning lane:

https://letstalk.oxfordshire.gov.uk/a42 ... provements

I hope the assembled Sabristi will be leaving their comments, if only to say "please renumber this isolated section of the A423 as the A4142 and stop the madness" ;)
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
droopsnoot

Post by droopsnoot »

droopsnoot wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 09:46
brummie_rob wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 17:56
danfw194 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:22 Thanks for the answers. I'm heading this way Easter Friday, doesn't sound like it will be finished by then unless they kick into gear.
Now delayed until Summer to install a pedestrian crossing (despite there being an underpass for horses/cycles/people):

https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2022/03/3 ... th-bypass/
"Still being assessed" and "not our fault" suggests that work hasn't started on the crossing yet. https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2022/08/1 ... -says-cec/
A51 Reaseheath bypass set to open "by the end of October", according to local news reports. This report suggests it's linked to how many of the nearby new houses are occupied. https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2022/10/0 ... f-october/
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

N56 north of Glenties is looking well one the way - used a couple of the new sections today.

Interestingly they were using temporary traffic signals to manage tie ins between the old and new carriageways with countdown in the amber phase. Two local vehicles behind me opted to game the system at 40 seconds remaining to overtake me while I was waiting for the lights to change and proceed through the red light. Upon approach to the lights I'd thought to myself that having a countdown like this seemed a particularly terrible idea because it would allow people to do exactly that....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
DB617

Post by DB617 »

I'm surprised we've never had a thread on this, but the A36 Cleveland Bridge in Bath has (mostly) reopened to two-way traffic this week. I'm noticing an immediate drop in journey time detriment from the roadworks, offset by the fact that lorries (up to 18T) are now using the route again and for some reason insist on never exceeding 40mph on any of the A46 from Tormarton, which is all 50mph (for anything larger than a car).

The solution to the severe structural defects that were found what seems like years ago now appears to have been to install a set of movement gauges on the supports which will try to measure and predict the structure's response to larger vehicles, up to 44T once the initial 18T tests are completed. I dread to think what will happen if the engineers later decide that the movement is excessive - they have clearly exhausted all options with regards to fixing the complex, unique Victorian structure.

All the times I sat in the tailback south of the bridge, I could not help wondering how the probably long-dead BANES (or its predecessors) councillors would feel knowing that their clever chicanery in preventing the Batheaston Bypass Link from being built all those years ago had caused such headache for their successors and users of the city roads and trunk road network. Short-sighted road planning steered by elected officials who probably used to be businessmen, not engineers, is a curse.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

DB617 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 15:23 The solution to the severe structural defects that were found what seems like years ago now appears to have been to install a set of movement gauges on the supports which will try to measure and predict the structure's response to larger vehicles, up to 44T once the initial 18T tests are completed. I dread to think what will happen if the engineers later decide that the movement is excessive - they have clearly exhausted all options with regards to fixing the complex, unique Victorian structure.

All the times I sat in the tailback south of the bridge, I could not help wondering how the probably long-dead BANES (or its predecessors) councillors would feel knowing that their clever chicanery in preventing the Batheaston Bypass Link from being built all those years ago had caused such headache for their successors and users of the city roads and trunk road network. Short-sighted road planning steered by elected officials who probably used to be businessmen, not engineers, is a curse.
The web site states the following works were done

Repairs to the truss and deck slabs (the foundation of the flat top of the carriageway)
Repairs to hanging bars
Repairs to the masonry abutments (stone supports)
Repairs and repainting of the cast iron arches and parapets
Waterproofing to prevent future weather damage
Installing protective coating systems

Short of a complete rebuild I dont imagine they can do much more.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Yes, quite, I hope it proves to be sufficient. It begs the question, did the engineers conclude that the repairs were not necessarily satisfactory to prevent future issues, or was the addition of the movement sensing equipment just future-proofing? As AFAIK we don't tend to just routinely monitor movement under surcharge load on a bridge that is believed to be structurally sound.

Interesting that they said that repairs to the hanger bars took place considering they were making out back in April I think it was that there was "no obvious fix" for the damage. Big change of tune in a few months - as works were largely completed in August - I suppose that should be considered impressive.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

It strikes me they are being cautious which is hardly out of place on a bridge built 200 years ago when a heavy load would be a stage coach or a horse drawn wagon. Materials such as cast iron of that era are nothing like as predictable as a modern structure.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The new link road running NW from M62 J19 has been opened.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-25419654
A £20m link road connecting the M62 with key industrial and distribution hubs in south Heywood has officially been opened. Named ‘Queen Elizabeth Way’, the 2.2km stretch between Junction 19 and Pilsworth Road is expected to remove thousands of HGVs from Heywood town centre every year.

As well as paving the way for future investment in the area - including the ‘Atom Valley’ mayoral development zone and Russell's 1,000 home South Heywood Masterplan - local leaders say it will slash journey times and cut business costs. The road opens to the public today (Thursday), after it was formally launched by the Mayor of Rochdale, Coun Ali Ahmed and council leader Neil Emmott at a special ceremony on Tuesday.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Morw works on 'improvement' to the Queensway and 'Ford' (well now it's Pets At Home or Vitsoe) Roundabout on the A452. Preliminary site clearance has started with build to start Summer 2023.

Works will create some additional lanes and involve signalising both roundabouts with increased provision for NMU. Plenty of opportunity for that to go wrong and be permanently gridlocked. :roll:
The best plan I have been able to grab is below.
Image2.jpg
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

A630 Sheffield Parkway and M1 J33 upgrade nearly complete. :D
A630 now three lanes in both directions between Catcliffe and M1. :bow:
Four lanes onto the roundabout and as many as can fit on the way round it. :applause:
All exits now two lanes. :thumbsup:
No queues! : :driving:

Temporary 50 limit has unsurprisingly become permanent. :rant:
Compliance unsurprisingly negligible. In fact fewer vehicles are sticking to 50 than before the roadworks when it was NSL. :ipunch:
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 14:00 A630 Sheffield Parkway and M1 J33 upgrade nearly complete. :D
A630 now three lanes in both directions between Catcliffe and M1. :bow:
Four lanes onto the roundabout and as many as can fit on the way round it. :applause:
All exits now two lanes. :thumbsup:
No queues! : :driving:

Temporary 50 limit has unsurprisingly become permanent. :rant:
Compliance unsurprisingly negligible. In fact fewer vehicles are sticking to 50 than before the roadworks when it was NSL. :ipunch:
I’m glad you’re unsurprised by the 50 limit because it was clear on the original plans. It’s not new information - and considering the rest of the parkway was already 50 from handworth onwards I’m sure why it’s an issue.

As for the improvements, it’ll improve things. Just about. But the same limitations are in place, and there’s just too much traffic on both the parkway and the M1 itself really.

Plus the services have been fully approved now so the roadworks will be back before you know it
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Hdeng16 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 22:46Plus the services have been fully approved now so the roadworks will be back before you know it
Please tell me this isn’t the services that were proposed at M1 J33, split across two sides of the motorway and using an existing cattle creep to get between the two sides? That was hands down one of the worst proposals for new service areas I’ve ever seen and will horribly unbalance the roundabout.