ULEZ Cameras could be illegal

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Re: ULEZ Cameras could be illegal

Post by FosseWay »

Bomag wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 14:00 This is the same sort of spurious chunter on speed limits. When looking at POPE, reduced permanent speed limits as part of highway improvement works reduced reduce accidents. This is not the same as evidence showing that reducing the limit will directly improve safety. As found with temporary limits, the lower the limit the without changing the underlying design speed the less effective the limit is at maintaining safety.
Rather often, the public-facing pronouncements of authorities regarding reduced speed limits don't mention safety improvements at all; they simply announce that speeds have reduced by x mph, generally a small fraction of the actual limit reduction involved. Indeed, these pronouncements are often made far too soon after the change comes into force for any sensible statistical analysis of accident rates to be possible, even if the limit reduction *is* effective in reducing accidents by itself.

Whether the people responsible for these press releases genuinely think that the whole point of speed limit reductions is just to reduce speed, or whether in fact they do look at safety statistics in the background but don't go into detail in public documents because they think ordinary people's brains might explode, I don't know.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

FosseWay wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 14:12
Whether the people responsible for these press releases genuinely think that the whole point of speed limit reductions is just to reduce speed, or whether in fact they do look at safety statistics in the background but don't go into detail in public documents because they think ordinary people's brains might explode, I don't know.
These are calculations I've been familiar with for many years, and I do not believe my brain has exploded (your opinion may vary) :)
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

WHBM wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 15:29
FosseWay wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 14:12
These are calculations I've been familiar with for many years, and I do not believe my brain has exploded (your opinion may vary) :)
Whether your brain has exploded or not is by the by :wink: My point was that people in council PR departments tend to dumb things down if they think the readership can't cope.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

FosseWay wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 17:13 My point was that people in council PR departments tend to dumb things down if they think the readership can't cope.
I don't believe they just "dumb things down", I think it has become endemic to conceal and misrepresent them to get their own way. The concept of public service has been lost.

What has happened to "public consultation" is typical, a worthwhile initial idea to involve the actual community, it has been progressively bent to "we're telling you what we are doing" to an absolute minimal audience that can legally be accepted (putting advertisements at the back of local newspapers that nobody buys any more is typical).