West Winch Housing Access Road (AKA the A10)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Kinitawowi

West Winch Housing Access Road (AKA the A10)

Post by Kinitawowi »

That old chestnut is apparently back on the cards!

King's Lynn council are fishing for opinions on 4000 more houses in West Winch, with a plan to reroute the A10 - sorry, the "West Winch Housing Access Road"! - east of the village to run into the A47 at a signalised roundabout, which will be dualled up as far as everyone's favourite nonsense at the Hardwick.

The proposal documents suggest "Modifications to the Hardwick Interchange to accommodate additional housing traffic and the rerouted A10". No specifics, presumably until the housing plan is approved.

Lynn News
BCKLWN Council - South East King’s Lynn Growth Area Framework Masterplan consultation

(Still think extending the A10 up to the Jubilee Roundabout - at minimum - is the next obvious step. I grew up in Hunstanton, so visiting family down south meant that A149-A10 was my most common movement here. No ambulance is going to want to do almost a whole lap of the Hardwick Roundabout to get from Setchey to the hospital. Assuming the hospital itself doesn't get moved at some point if and when the roof finally completely collapses...)
skiddaw05

Re: West Winch Housing Access Road (AKA the A10)

Post by skiddaw05 »

Kinitawowi wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 18:58 to run into the A47 at a signalised roundabout
Dear God! Just what's needed on the A47, which is currently (thanks to the flyover) free of signalised junctions between Great Yarmouth and Wisbech or even Peterborough. So they're already admitting the traffic flows are wrong for a roundabout at this location
B1040

Post by B1040 »

I don't think there are any signalised junctions until you get to Leicester.
doebag

Post by doebag »

A1/A47 at Wansford is part time signalled roundabout.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

This section of the A10 is particularly poor in terms of its impact upon the communities it passes through and poor journey time reliability. There is an obvious case for a new road linking the A134 with the À149 and then dialling of the king's Lynn bypass up to the A148 junction.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
B1040

Post by B1040 »

doebag wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 06:23 A1/A47 at Wansford is part time signalled roundabout.
So it is!
Apologies
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

c2R wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 08:24 This section of the A10 is particularly poor in terms of its impact upon the communities it passes through and poor journey time reliability. There is an obvious case for a new road linking the A134 with the À149 and then dialling of the king's Lynn bypass up to the A148 junction.
The A10 is horrible at this point in West Winch, between the church and local shops. Horrible to walk along the footpaths when I was a kid, horrible to drive along now!

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.7156713 ... 384!8i8192
Kinitawowi

Post by Kinitawowi »

skiddaw05 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 20:01 Dear God! Just what's needed on the A47, which is currently (thanks to the flyover) free of signalised junctions between Great Yarmouth and Wisbech or even Peterborough. So they're already admitting the traffic flows are wrong for a roundabout at this location
Obviously they're nowhere near that far yet, but... I'd wager it'll be another Pullover - built with flaring so when it inevitably turns out to not work they can dual the A47 over the top.
Kinitawowi

Post by Kinitawowi »

Kinitawowi wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 09:36 Obviously they're nowhere near that far yet, but... I'd wager it'll be another Pullover - built with flaring so when it inevitably turns out to not work they can dual the A47 over the top.
I was wrong.

Consultation's up. A47 looks like a hodgepodge.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Kinitawowi wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 15:31
Kinitawowi wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 09:36 Obviously they're nowhere near that far yet, but... I'd wager it'll be another Pullover - built with flaring so when it inevitably turns out to not work they can dual the A47 over the top.
I was wrong.

Consultation's up. A47 looks like a hodgepodge.
"Housing Access Road", whatever next? Fast Food Route? Retail Link Road?

What about that well known description, Bypass?
Kinitawowi

Post by Kinitawowi »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 17:31"Housing Access Road", whatever next? Fast Food Route? Retail Link Road?

I wonder if "bypass" is one of those words that's seen to draw in objectors, whereas "Housing Access Road" makes it sound like its primary purpose is something else entirely.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Kinitawowi wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 21:16
Norfolktolancashire wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 17:31"Housing Access Road", whatever next? Fast Food Route? Retail Link Road?

I wonder if "bypass" is one of those words that's seen to draw in objectors, whereas "Housing Access Road" makes it sound like its primary purpose is something else entirely.
A couple of decades ago it would have been referred to as a relief road.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Doesn’t look too awful.

Not sure how the single flyover lanes will cope without the dispersal of traffic once it’s a proper junction.

Also not sure the A10 > A47 west really needs the express lane either. Looks so out of place in fact that I’d wager it’s there to be taken out later and the planners can rave about ‘efficiencies’
Kinitawowi

Post by Kinitawowi »

Hdeng16 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 22:43Doesn’t look too awful.

Not sure how the single flyover lanes will cope without the dispersal of traffic once it’s a proper junction.

Also not sure the A10 > A47 west really needs the express lane either. Looks so out of place in fact that I’d wager it’s there to be taken out later and the planners can rave about ‘efficiencies’
Presumably with the A10 being moved further down there's less need for the dispersal - A47 eastbound-A10 traffic can now use the flyover and the new junction at the HAR without needing to skip half the roundabout. The nasty movements now will be A149 from the hospital to A47 westbound, and A10/A47 westbound to either A149 which will get mixed up with the previous bunch. (Maybe they thought the traffic flows might make it a non-issue.) I still think extending the A10 to the Jubilee roundabout is the next obvious step.

That express lane does look weird.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Planners need to be careful, given XR, JSO and the other anarchist groups. Much harder to object if will enable much needed housing to help with the housing crisis to be built. Very Clever.

Also it will be funded partially by the developers, so again selling it to the locals. You want a bypass, but the only way you will get one is through housing development.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

A303Chris wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:00

Planners need to be careful, given XR, JSO and the other anarchist groups. Much harder to object if will enable much needed housing to help with the housing crisis to be built. Very Clever.

Also it will be funded partially by the developers, so again selling it to the locals. You want a bypass, but the only way you will get one is through housing development.
Which is exactly what XR and JSO are opposed to. Housing developments that fuel more driving because they're part of a badly thought out road scheme are the last thing we need right now.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Kinitawowi wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 00:07
Hdeng16 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 22:43Doesn’t look too awful.

Presumably with the A10 being moved further down there's less need for the dispersal - A47 eastbound-A10 traffic can now use the flyover and the new junction at the HAR without needing to skip half the roundabout. The nasty movements now will be A149 from the hospital to A47 westbound, and A10/A47 westbound to either A149 which will get mixed up with the previous bunch. (Maybe they thought the traffic flows might make it a non-issue.) I still think extending the A10 to the Jubilee roundabout is the next obvious step.

That express lane does look weird.
That's a fair point actually. Hardwick will still be massively overloaded but yes I guess dispersal will be less of a requirement - especially if we get a northern extension too.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It's a roundabout infested abomination. Better would be to link the new developments in with the existing A10 and build a new road with no roundabouts or property frontage as a bypass to take traffic away from where the people live.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
doebag

Post by doebag »

I doubt it is associated with this, but there is tree removal on the south side of the A47 and the large lay-by area on Constitution Hill has been fenced off to form a compound.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

c2R wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 22:06 It's a roundabout infested abomination. Better would be to link the new developments in with the existing A10 and build a new road with no roundabouts or property frontage as a bypass to take traffic away from where the people live.
Yes - I go that way pretty regularly, probably at least once a week, and in principle a new piece of high quality road to bypass that slow built-up section of the A10 is a good idea.

But this seems like quite messy, quite low-spec solution, shoving the interchange between the A10 and A47 away from Hardwick, which actually has had quite a lot of money spent on it over the years. Surely it's the last thing that's needed from the point of view of upgrading the A47 corridor?

I doubt the housing itself will get many objections - there's plenty of space in the Fens and they're building all over the shop, without much fuss. Seems to be a different attitude to much of the rest of the country.

PS that section of the A10 currently has a 40 mph limit but at least it's a fairly unencumbered run through. I can't see that a single carriageway replacement with lots of roundabouts and taking extra traffic from the development itself will be much better or quicker or offer much more capacity than what's already there.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon