A6(NI) dualling to start

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

murphaph

Re: A6(NI) dualling to start

Post by murphaph »

Does this new stretch mean Newry residents might think about taking the route via the A6 rather than the A5 if heading towards Derry/Londonderry?

It seems to be an impressive scheme which somehow flew under my radar.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

murphaph wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 07:07 Does this new stretch mean Newry residents might think about taking the route via the A6 rather than the A5 if heading towards Derry/Londonderry?

I'm not so sure they wouldn't have opted for the A6 over the A5 anyway.

Even before any of the recent improvements, the A6 was a far better road than the A5; the only settlement it didn't avoid was Dungiven, whereas the A5 seems to pass through endless towns/villages with constantly changing 30/40 limits, and little prospect of any improvement in sight. It's a real grind, and a candidate for the 'Worst Green-Signed A-Road in the UK' award.

I used to hate the A5, whereas I loved the A6!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
murphaph

Post by murphaph »

Owain wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 09:14
murphaph wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 07:07 Does this new stretch mean Newry residents might think about taking the route via the A6 rather than the A5 if heading towards Derry/Londonderry?

Even before any of the recent improvements, the A6 was a far better road than the A5; the only settlement it didn't avoid was Dungiven, whereas the A5 seems to pass through endless towns/villages with constantly changing 30/40 limits, and little prospect of any improvement in sight. It's a real grind, and a candidate for the 'Worst Green-Signed A-Road in the UK' award.

Ah I see. I know virtually nothing about the A6. I think I was only on a very short part of it, if at all. I certainly never drove its length as living in Dublin or being based out of there on holiday these days, I'd either be heading to Belfast or Derry, but never both on the same trip.

If you were coming from Dublin you'd still be advised to take the A5, or would you?
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

murphaph wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:02
Owain wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 09:14

Ah I see. I know virtually nothing about the A6. I think I was only on a very short part of it, if at all. I certainly never drove its length as living in Dublin or being based out of there on holiday these days, I'd either be heading to Belfast or Derry, but never both on the same trip.

If you were coming from Dublin you'd still be advised to take the A5, or would you?
The reason I drove the A5 fairly frequently was because I'd sometimes opt to to take the ferry from Dublin instead of Belfast or Larne. The A5 was pretty much obligatory then - I certainly wouldn't have used the A6 for Dublin - and the only element of real choice came further south, where I'd sometimes favour the N2 over the N33-M1. In fact I liked the N2, and would sometimes choose to drive all of it; overall it's far more enjoyable than the A5.

If you do get the North and drive any of the A6, the Glenshane is by far the best bit! A real spectacle, which is not unlike some stretches of Scotland's A9. I always loved it... but watch out for the camera vans! :driving:

On the return from Dublin to Derry (with no ferry to catch), I'd sometimes even take the N4-N15-N13, but that was just for fun; it certainly wouldn't be the quickest route!

Viva la Repubblica!
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

The entire A6 between Dungiven and Drumahoe is now open although it's just one lane per carriageway with a 40mph limit. All junctions open except B74 Feeny Rd and Ardmore Rd. Great news.
Attachments
a6.jpg
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

A42_Sparks wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 16:46 The entire A6 between Dungiven and Drumahoe is now open although it's just one lane per carriageway with a 40mph limit. All junctions open except B74 Feeny Rd and Ardmore Rd. Great news.
My partner went to Derry a couple of weeks ago. She commented on "the road being better" than it used to be. Now I see why!

Viva la Repubblica!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Pity it wasn't an extended M2(2), we'll avoid the M26 Ballymena argument, but I said the same about the A4 over a decade ago being good enough to be an extended M1...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Well, given that the M1 J12-J15 is in fact the A4 ;) Wesley's not on here very often, but I think he can confirm that Armagh County Council happened to be improving the A4 anyway.
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Great news that this major A6 dualling scheme is now effectively open to traffic, subject to finishing works.

I'll be driving on it myself later this month when I'm up North to visit my uncle, aunt and other extended family in Belfast and Derry. :driving: :driving: :thumbsup:

Now, what's been happening with the eternally postponed/delayed and badly needed A5 scheme?
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Drove it last week, albeit the Dungiven bypass was 1 lane each direction 40mph. Seemed to go on forever, I read on NIRS site that it is now the longest uninterrupted stretch in NI.

Mostly complete, works taking place including signage and the central wire barrier. Some nice engineering including the cutting through the hill, and bridges (especially as we turned off Ardmore Road for a child related emergency).

Drumahoe being left as a "temporary" terminus is typical NI road short sightedness, and will end up like this forever like the A55 at Purdysburn Hill/Milltown
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

In fairness, there is a major issue with the Drumahoe-Maydown section (involving a toxic waste dump, IIRC). So it's not really "short-sightedness", just ill fortune.

But yes, the issue now is that it will probably never be worth doing that section (versus competing projects). There'll be very little major work done between now and late decade anyway - maybe Ballynahinch bypass and a few A1 junctions, but that'll be all.
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

IJP1 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:53 In fairness, there is a major issue with the Drumahoe-Maydown section (involving a toxic waste dump, IIRC). So it's not really "short-sightedness", just ill fortune.

But yes, the issue now is that it will probably never be worth doing that section (versus competing projects). There'll be very little major work done between now and late decade anyway - maybe Ballynahinch bypass and a few A1 junctions, but that'll be all.
I'm reminded a bit of Sheriffhall https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... Roundabout and how the mine workings meant it could never be GSJed.

Fair Ballynahinch needs that bypass, drove though on a Monday lunchtime and it was congested, best avoided on a summer day with Newcastle traffic. And the A1 I've had my fair share of scares especially when lorries and tractors with trailers need to cross over the central reservation. Sad that we don't have a government to assign spending, and that the York Street junction improvements will likely be at least a decade away.

From the SABRE Wiki: Sheriffhall Roundabout :

Sheriffhall Roundabout is a junction on the City of Edinburgh Bypass. It is a notorious bottleneck, being at-grade. Construction of a grade-separated junction was considered too difficult, due to mine workings and a geological fault under the junction. In 2015 it was named the most dangerous junction in Scotland, based on figures for the number of injuries at junctions that manage.

Studies continue into how the junction might be improved, with the

... Read More
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

IJP1 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:53 In fairness, there is a major issue with the Drumahoe-Maydown section (involving a toxic waste dump, IIRC). So it's not really "short-sightedness", just ill fortune.

There's still quite a lot that really needs doing up North - the M2/A12/M3 York Street junction is a real priority, as is a freeflow GSJ between the A1 and the M1 at Sprucefield, A24 Ballynahinch bypass (planned since the 1970s), A29 Cookstown bypass, A4 Enniskillen Southern bypass, dualling the A3 between Portadown and Armagh and of course closing all the remaining at grade junctions on the A1 which are real death traps. Something also needs to be done about the section of A2 between Hollywood and Ballyrobert as well.

Dare I even mention the forever-postponed A5 scheme? :twisted:
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Agreed. Also the A2 relief road for Newry would be on my list to get Warrenpoint freight out of the congested town centre
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

wallmeerkat wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 13:09

I'm reminded a bit of Sheriffhall https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... Roundabout and how the mine workings meant it could never be GSJed.

Fair Ballynahinch needs that bypass, drove though on a Monday lunchtime and it was congested, best avoided on a summer day with Newcastle traffic. And the A1 I've had my fair share of scares especially when lorries and tractors with trailers need to cross over the central reservation. Sad that we don't have a government to assign spending, and that the York Street junction improvements will likely be at least a decade away.
But the DUP keep telling us that not having a government doesn't affect this and it doesn't affect that and it doesn't affect the other. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's a tacit admission that Stormont never did anything anyway.

From the SABRE Wiki: Sheriffhall Roundabout :

Sheriffhall Roundabout is a junction on the City of Edinburgh Bypass. It is a notorious bottleneck, being at-grade. Construction of a grade-separated junction was considered too difficult, due to mine workings and a geological fault under the junction. In 2015 it was named the most dangerous junction in Scotland, based on figures for the number of injuries at junctions that manage.

Studies continue into how the junction might be improved, with the

... Read More
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Fair Ballynahinch? First time I’ve heard it called that ;)

The one way system helps, but only so much.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

A42_Sparks wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 16:46 The entire A6 between Dungiven and Drumahoe is now open although it's just one lane per carriageway with a 40mph limit. All junctions open except B74 Feeny Rd and Ardmore Rd. Great news.
The incomplete junction at the western end is interesting - I take it that the eventual plan is for a continuation to the Foyle Bridge?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

AndyB wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 18:14 Fair Ballynahinch? First time I’ve heard it called that ;)

It very much needs that bypass... although existing poor junction designs don't help such as the B2, A24, B175 junctions at the south of the town.

However, as traffic goes, Downpatrick is far worse.... the hilly geography of the town and multiple different important routes for traffic with lack of clear strategic flow and no outer relief roads has meant that all traffic is essentially stuck at the Market Street/Church Street/Irish Street junctions in the centre....
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

c2R wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 22:18
The incomplete junction at the western end is interesting - I take it that the eventual plan is for a continuation to the Foyle Bridge?
Supposedly eventually, but it'll be in its current state for a good while. http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/a6d ... derry.html nirs seems to think it won't happen.

Strange to be on a HQDC then be thrown onto a single carriageway road through a residential area, to then go back onto a dual carriageway to the Foyle bridge.
c2R wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 22:32
AndyB wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 18:14 Fair Ballynahinch? First time I’ve heard it called that ;)

It very much needs that bypass... although existing poor junction designs don't help such as the B2, A24, B175 junctions at the south of the town.

However, as traffic goes, Downpatrick is far worse.... the hilly geography of the town and multiple different important routes for traffic with lack of clear strategic flow and no outer relief roads has meant that all traffic is essentially stuck at the Market Street/Church Street/Irish Street junctions in the centre....
My "local" (Ballygowan is closer but different council area and during the pandemic they took to checking addresses) council recycling centre is Ballynahinch and I've taken to using some of the backroads such as Glassdrumman Road. If I'm headed for Newcastle I'll head Crossgar to Loughinisland and join the A24 there.

In Downpatrick there was talk of a Ballynahinch style one way system a while back http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/iri ... trick.html , though as that shows it just improves flow but doesn't alleviate congestion. For the south east eg. the hospital Saul Way / Scotch Street is a defacto bypass.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

wallmeerkat wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 09:59 In Downpatrick there was talk of a Ballynahinch style one way system a while back http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/iri ... trick.html , though as that shows it just improves flow but doesn't alleviate congestion. For the south east eg. the hospital Saul Way / Scotch Street is a defacto bypass.
I think I recall reading something in the Mourne Observer last week about compulsory purchases of properties in Irish Street where the police station was - which would be a shame as they've actually got a bit of character about them, and presumably also flattening Gibney's on St Patricks Avenue. The plans Wesley links to also indicates that a second one way system would be created around Edward Street/John Street/Dillons Avenue, which makes sense to try and eliminate rat running through the estate to avoid the town centre (which I admit I always do).

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/201 ... atrick.pdf

However, I can just hear in the back of my head Bryn telling me that this is all the sort of stuff that England did in the 70s and 80s, and that creating gyratories and flattening parts of the town to add new roads in isn't the solution.... ;)