Central Park Drive, Rugby: Construction Date

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Traps4988

Central Park Drive, Rugby: Construction Date

Post by Traps4988 »

Hello all,

This is my first post so hopefully I'm posting this in the correct location. I'm wondering if anyone knows or could point me in the right direction to an answer to my query, I'm looking to find out when Central Park Drive in Rugby was constructed. The road in question is just off the A426 near Junction 1 of the M6, I've attached a snip from Google Maps if that helps.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Central Park Drive .png
RichardA35
Committee Member

Re: Central Park Drive, Rugby: Construction Date

Post by RichardA35 »

Welcome - a couple of sources came to mind
1. A quick spin through GSV gives a date earlier than 2009
2. A quick planning application search for Rugby Borough has speculative developments being applied for in 2005-6 accessed off the road.
I reckon opening of the road would be about then as developers rarely hang about.

Application to Rugby Borough Council or whoever is the adopting Highway Authority may give better sources of information
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Before 2009 I know from GSV, the property sales listings seem to start in 2007 and in 2009 they were still building houses just off it.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.40099 ... 6656?hl=en

Looking at applications for planning permissions there are none before Feb 2006, the first was for planning permission to the Brewers Fayre.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

KeithW wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 13:05 Before 2009 I know from GSV, the property sales listings seem to start in 2007 and in 2009 they were still building houses just off it.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.40099 ... 6656?hl=en

Looking at applications for planning permissions there are none before Feb 2006, the first was for planning permission to the Brewers Fayre.
I think that is a limitation of the council database.
Further review of the restaurant application officer report has the road outline approval granted in 2000.
I would revise my earliest estimate of construction to 2000-1 and opening to c. 2001-2
OLD GIT

Post by OLD GIT »

Would this also go by the name of the Western Bypass ? I ask as I worked in Rugby till May 2010 and the bypass was still under construction. From memory of 13 years ago I seem to remember that this road ended up nearthe Cement works . From Google maps I think it is the A4071. Again looking at Google maps it would seem to be a road from the roundabout with Newbold road ( just after the rail overbridge on the M6 SIDE).
As far as I can remember that was the only major road construction in that time span.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

OLD GIT wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 20:10 Would this also go by the name of the Western Bypass ? I ask as I worked in Rugby till May 2010 and the bypass was still under construction. From memory of 13 years ago I seem to remember that this road ended up nearthe Cement works . From Google maps I think it is the A4071. Again looking at Google maps it would seem to be a road from the roundabout with Newbold road ( just after the rail overbridge on the M6 SIDE).
As far as I can remember that was the only major road construction in that time span.
No, the road under discussion isn't the western relief road.