Ominous sounding roads.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Osthagen

Re: Ominous sounding roads.

Post by Osthagen »

owen b wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 20:38 Almost certainly the same school as I went to. When I went up to the senior school I was given a little green booklet containing the school rules. One of them was the prohibition on visiting Grape Lane. Writing out the school rules was sometimes given as a punishment.
If its the one attended by Alexander Armstrong and Geoff Parling then yes. A small world it is.

I don't come from the region, but my sole experience of the Durham Grape Lane is of parking around my sister's then-school and walking to Ye Olde Elm Tree pub along a discreet pathway, which dumped me onto the street in question.

Looking at an c. 1900 of the area, it appears that the 'Grape Lane' designation refers or referred to the entire pathway.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
owen b

Post by owen b »

Osthagen wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 17:45
owen b wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 20:38 Almost certainly the same school as I went to. When I went up to the senior school I was given a little green booklet containing the school rules. One of them was the prohibition on visiting Grape Lane. Writing out the school rules was sometimes given as a punishment.
If its the one attended by Alexander Armstrong and Geoff Parling then yes. A small world it is.

I don't come from the region, but my sole experience of the Durham Grape Lane is of parking around my sister's then-school and walking to Ye Olde Elm Tree pub along a discreet pathway, which dumped me onto the street in question.

Looking at an c. 1900 of the area, it appears that the 'Grape Lane' designation refers or referred to the entire pathway.
Yep. I overlapped with Alexander Armstrong, although he was younger than me and in a different house, so I didn't know him. I've never heard of Geoff Parling. I didn't know where Grape Lane was exactly when I was growing up in Durham, but have subsequently been there out of curiosity. It didn't seem remotely unsavoury when I had a look and can only assume that it being out of bounds in the school rules was some kind of anachronism, maybe even some kind of in joke on the part of the school governers or head teacher or whatever.
Owen
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Geoff Parling was an England and Lions international rugby union player, b 1983, now retired, who played as a lock forward for Newcastle, Leicester and Exeter.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
dereer

Post by dereer »

Although it's not a single road but a junction, Hackballs Cross on the N53 sounds rather dangerous.
it/he/they | aka computerfan0
My travelled roads can be found here.

From the SABRE Wiki: Hackballs Cross :

Hackballs Cross is a crossroads in Barronstown townland, County Louth where local roads meet the N53. With a poor safety record on its historic alignment, the junction was improved in the late 1990s to stagger the L3125 and further improved in 2015 to incorporate a turning lane and LED street lighting.

Local legend states that the junction's name came from an 18th century landowner who hacked thieves disturbing his property to

... Read More
nearM65

Post by nearM65 »

Bone Hill Lane near Nateby lancs.. this road name does have a story behind it. Many years ago I delivered to a house on this road and the old lady said it was something to do with some baby bones found nearby. Always feel abit weird when driving past..
5000 miles a month and counting.. :D
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Ominous in a different way - Carsick Hill in Sheffield. Hope you brought your cleaning supplies...
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

solocle

Post by solocle »

Spain and not a road name, but an ominous distance marker:
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:32 Dead Mans Hole Lane
Steep Hill obviously
Here's another Steep Hill. Yeah, right.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
B4444

Post by B4444 »

More toilet humour twinned with Puddletown
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 16:56 Here's another Steep Hill. Yeah, right.
It seems that it leads to "The Steep". And it is a hill, at least at this end.
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Thought it may take a long time to drive Universal Road but it was only around a fifth of a mile long.
Duple

Post by Duple »

Surprised it's not been mentioned yet as there's a few local on here...

Slaughter Hill
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Gibbet Hill with its associated Gibbet Hill Cross used to to be accessible from the A3 as it wound its way around the Devil's Punch Bowl. The A3 still passes within 100 metres of Gibbet Hill, but as part of teh Hindhead Tunnel, so neither the cross nor the hill are accessible from the A3.

The hill got its name after three murderers were hanged there in 1786 for murdering and robbing an unknown sailor.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Morpeth, Northumberland is derived from the Old English morthpaeth meaning 'murder road'.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

On my virtual travels around the C roads of Yorkshire I came across Hell Lane near Wakefield. Apparently it has the "Yorkshire Scare Grounds Scream Park" on it. Sadly the road number is way off being the number of the beast, it's the C154.
SteelCamel wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 15:44 Ominous in a different way - Carsick Hill in Sheffield. Hope you brought your cleaning supplies...
We have a Carsic Estate in Sutton-in-Ashfield. It's as nice as it sounds.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: C154 %28Wakefield%29 :

The C154, maintained by Wakefield Council, is route running from Wakefield to Featherstone via New Sharlston.

... Read More
ikcdab

Post by ikcdab »

In the Quantocks there is a short stretch of road and car park called Dead Woman's Ditch. Although it's an ancient name, rather horribly, a dead woman was found murdered there in 1988.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

In Raunds, Northants you have "Rotton Row":
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3459344 ... ?entry=ttu

(not far up from the 'rude' street name of "Titty Ho")

and then in Wollaston, home of Dr Martens, you have "Rotten Row"!
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2550975 ... ?entry=ttu

(also not far up from 'Bell End'!)
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

The Italian A6 motorway is officially named 'La Verdemare' ('the green sea'), but has acquired the unofficial sobriquet 'Autostrada della Morte' ('motorway of death').

It features a loop-the-loop on the southern carriageway, and part of it collapsed in a landslide a few years ago, although neither of those attributes are responsible for the nickname.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Owain wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 20:20 The Italian A6 motorway is officially named 'La Verdemare' ('the green sea'), but has acquired the unofficial sobriquet 'Autostrada della Morte' ('motorway of death').

It features a loop-the-loop on the southern carriageway, and part of it collapsed in a landslide a few years ago, although neither of those attributes are responsible for the nickname.
California highway 152 is known as the Ho Chi Minh Trail due to the amount of accidents that have occurred on it, I assume it's almost as if they are being attacked!
Beware of the trickster on the roof