How many signal heads is "enough"?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

L.J.D

Re: How many signal heads is "enough"?

Post by L.J.D »

traffic-light-man wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 08:30 I have seen tall pole secondaries used where there's multiple movements signalled from the stop line, such as this site, as it avoids this situation where the primary tall poles viewed at distance are giving conflicting instructions that might not be ideal.
Odd first installation because they've left the odd Mellor here and there. Wonder why they didn't just replace the Mellors. Also I wonder what the arrangement was like when it was all Mellor. Did they have totems then too ?

Also I've noticed a few councils add more signal heads if there are accidents. this site had a double fatal due to a HGV turning and going through on a red so two more heads were added to that site.
traffic-light-man

Re: How many signal heads is "enough"?

Post by traffic-light-man »

L.J.D wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 17:13Odd first installation because they've left the odd Mellor here and there. Wonder why they didn't just replace the Mellors. Also I wonder what the arrangement was like when it was all Mellor. Did they have totems then too ?
The original scheme only replaced the RAG heads on the main road for ones with substitute green arrows to separately signal the right turn, as well as adding MOVA, so everything else remained Mellors. Any other ones have been casual replacements as time's gone on since then. The original arrangement had 8m tall poles in the offside primary position, one each way, with a RAG Mellor on the top.
Simon