A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gaz909909

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by Gaz909909 »

IAN wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 23:33 Obviously, some way off yet but I wonder what the first section will be where traffic is transferred onto the new A30 if only as an S2 contraflow arrangement.
Richard Evans will be all over this! I seem to recall part of the section between Chivvy and Chubucca opening pretty early so that both junctions can be evolved. I imagine that A30 traffic around Zelah will be moved to the LAR once the bridge is done while the main line is repositioned.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by IAN » Sun Aug 07, 2022 23:33

Obviously, some way off yet but I wonder what the first section will be where traffic is transferred onto the new A30 if only as an S2 contraflow arrangement.
As part of the traffic management at Chivvy. They will probably need to close part of the existing A30 for a time, to connect the new roundabout to the old A30, and the link to the A390. So traffic will have to run along the new route, (probably in contraflow) between Chybucca and Chivvy. That is the most likely 1st use of a new section.

It's hard to know when that will be, as I haven't found anything much recent about what is happening at Chivy. However some plans I have show that the 1st major change is diverting the A3075 along the northern edge of the roadworks. This orphans the section of the A3705 with Trevisome park. So a temporary access from the existing A30 to that part of the A3075 is likely. The video seems to shows signs of building this. So perhaps we are getting close to this 1st switch. Using part of the new A30 comes quite soon after that.

PS. I think the temporary access to Trevisome Park is placed just east of the part of the A30 they will need to close. So access to Trevisome Park should still be possible via the A30 from Cybucca.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

An interesting piece about how some of the nearby china clay mining waste is being utilised in this project.

Years ago mining waste from the tin mining operations was used in construction of some Cornish properties. This is called mundic block construction which has subsequently proven to be detrimental to the strength of the blocks, resulting in properties being condemned or at least unmortgageable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-62485527
IAN

Post by IAN »

Picture of a bridge beam being put in place and news of further closures.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... st-7441332

Edit - Since my original post, 'Cornwall Live' has removed a reference to a whole weekend closure between 16th and 19th Sep.
AKA M5 Driver
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

An interesting piece about how some of the nearby china clay mining waste is being utilised in this project.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-62485527
I just came across lots of web pages about that, and wondered why they are suddenly talking about it now.

In a video I posted many weeks ago, somebody from Costain explained it. Apparently they decided the scheme had a deficit of fill material. He said that since they also wanted the traffic switch at Chybucca to be on time, they imported a by product from the China Clay mining. He said it's basically washed granite.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by IAN » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:05

Picture of a bridge beam being put in place and news of further closures.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... st-7441332
Several recent videos and pictures, (over the last few months,) show this bridge beam in it's temporary location. I hear they plan to lift it into position in September. Also, I notice that there is traffic on the road in this picture. I think surely when they finally lift it into place, they will close the road for safety.

So I would think that picture was probably from a few months ago, when they were putting it into it's temporary location.

Also I have a feeling I saw pictures of more of the bridge deck built onto that beam, although I'm not sure whether I'm right about that.

Edit :
In the video I posted a few days ago, at about 5:57. You can see there is a lot of scaffolding around this beam. I don't know what that is for, but perhaps it's something they are doing to the beam before they lift it into place,
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://report.nationalhighways.co.uk/report/3744043

They are talking about A30 westbound queues blocking the Carland Cross roundabout. So blocking A39 traffic from getting onto the roundabout wanting to go eastbound. So causing long queues on the A39.

Humm...
They have a point that some traffic management might be appropriate at peak times. Although it's a bit harsh to suggest that this problem is just due to the roadworks.

The junction improvement should fix this problem. Although if the improvement was not coming, then it would be appropriate to consider part time traffic signals. If the A30 traffic is getting held up ahead anyway, I can't see if making much difference stopping in now and then to let A39 traffic out. Since many people just blame the roadworks, perhaps it would be appropriate to use a temporary fix, using temporary part time traffic lights. Or a traffic marshal.
adam 1972

Post by adam 1972 »

I did notice at the weekend that tarmac is now going down on the westbound side of the new D2 just west of Chybucca
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 21:45 It will be interesting to see if the A30 bridge / roundabouts diversion is in place before the summer, otherwise it's going to be horrendous for West Cornwall w/bound traffic. Chivvy (and the lead up) is bad enough as it is in the summer.
Just saying that I called the traffic disruption. It's the same every year!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Gaz909909 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 22:01

Just saying that I called the traffic disruption. It's the same every year!
Hence the whole dueling scheme ;).
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

There needs to be much better planning around traffic flows...
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Gaz909909 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 20:52

There needs to be much better planning around traffic flows...
I assume you mean during the roadworks.

I assume there are limits to how much is worth doing for temporary arrangements. Although I'm not sure about some of the side roads that seem to have been closed for a long time.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Ultimately there will be programme managers whose job is to get the planning right and to execute to scope. Maybe they factored in the traffic chaos, maybe they didn't, maybe they didn't care. Either way, they will have a detailed plan and traffic management should have been part of it.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Gaz909909 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 14:29

Maybe they factored in the traffic chaos, maybe they didn't, maybe they didn't care.
I don't really know what is happening with the traffic in the area. But this stretch of road was already very overcrowded in the summer. So there are bound to be traffic problems until they get the scheme built. So what sort of problems do you actually mean? Is there some temporary arrangement that is makings things significantly worse?
IAN

Post by IAN »

Latest You Tube videos from Dave Briffa who can be given credit for providing regular updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co_-amj ... DaveBriffa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHnSxQ ... DaveBriffa
AKA M5 Driver
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Good updates! Thanks!

That giant bridge in Zelah can't be far away from being moved into position now.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Gaz909909 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 08:11
Good updates! Thanks!

That giant bridge in Zelah can't be far away from being moved into position now.
I wouldn't call it giant. It will just be a single track access road. Although it will need quite a big span, to go over all the lanes.

If you pause the 2nd video at the right moment, you can see the bridge peeres on the south side. They still have rebar sticking out of the top, so not finished yet. I don't really know how long it takes to finish them, and whether the concrete needs much time to strengthen.

I heard quite some time ago, that they hope to do the bridge lift in September. I could believe they might be ready by then. Perhaps in late September. Although so far I have not received any Emails about the road closure they would need.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

I was also curious about Chybucca.

They seem to have built up the earthworks about were the North Roundabout will be. But they don't seem to have done the same to the east of here, to connect the existing A30 to the roundabout. I couldn't see much to the west, but (from earlier videos) I think they have done a lot to the west.

I'm wondering if there might be another traffic stage of using the area of the North Roundabout. Perhaps then using either the slip roads to connect to the A30 to the west. Or going over the bridge to then use the B3284 to connect to the west.

Either way, I don't see why they wouldn't want to also use the finished bit (to the A30 west). Perhaps they simply haven't done that bit yet. Perhaps they haven't moved enough fill material into the area yet. Or perhaps they plan to do something completely different.

On a slightly different subject. At the end of the 1st video, You can just about see where they seem to be surfacing part of the new D2 towards Chiverton.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

3 of the pics taken on Aug 23 during a trip to Penzance. A rare journey this far west. The A3075 was very heavy as far as the connection to the temp rbt to avoid the long queues on the A30. Result, 2 long queues, at least in summer.
Attachments
Heading west at the start of the Zelah bypass
Heading west at the start of the Zelah bypass
Temp rbt from the B3284 via A3075
Temp rbt from the B3284 via A3075
Heading east at Zelah
Heading east at Zelah
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Not Carland to Chiverton but, a future improvement that will be in the spotlight once C-C is done. In fact, the Hayle bypass is part of the problem. We queued from half way back along the bypass for the St Erth rbt, then through the station junction lights and slowly on to Long Rock. Apart from Pelican crossings, these are the only signals on the A30 from Upottery, except at the M5 junction which is just.....ridiculous

I assume the trunk A30 finished by the station at Penzance. Great end of the road location, for A30(T)
Attachments
A30 Crowlas
A30 Crowlas
Mounts Bay comes into view and an AA rescue van needs rescuing
Mounts Bay comes into view and an AA rescue van needs rescuing
Old A30 Penzance
Old A30 Penzance
Last edited by SteveA30 on Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/