A1 Wittering preferred route announcement

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

Re: A1 Wittering preferred route announcement

Post by jackal »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 16:22 CrashMap suggests only 7 collisions in the last 5 years, and only one of those was a KSI. That puts it well down the list for things being done, I suspect, whereas Elkesley was riddled with KSIs.
Those are much better than the numbers I mentioned above for 2012-16. I wonder if something minor but effective has been done since then? Signage, markings, etc?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It got resurfaced and relined a couple of years ago with modern cats eyes and thicker rumble strip edge markings.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jackal wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 17:50
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 16:22 CrashMap suggests only 7 collisions in the last 5 years, and only one of those was a KSI. That puts it well down the list for things being done, I suspect, whereas Elkesley was riddled with KSIs.
Those are much better than the numbers I mentioned above for 2012-16. I wonder if something minor but effective has been done since then? Signage, markings, etc?
It looks to be a mix of better road markings and, dare I say, reputation. If a junction is deemed terrifying and deadly, a lot of the less confident or competent drivers will avoid it.

None of this really justifies having an at-grade junction on the main north-south trunk road from eastern England of course.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

"MP wants action on 'mad' A1 junctions"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4n1n1p9n31o
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jackal wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 23:57 "MP wants action on 'mad' A1 junctions"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4n1n1p9n31o
It staggers me that RIS isn't treating the A1 as a priority for safety improvements; we could blow nearly half a billion on Wisley to achieve nothing yet we still leave death trap at-grade junctions untouched?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Here we go again… another cycle of it being talked about for a bit and nothing happening

Sabre is good for documenting these schemes.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

jackal wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 17:50 Those are much better than the numbers I mentioned above for 2012-16. I wonder if something minor but effective has been done since then? Signage, markings, etc?
Can it be that military activity at the base has reduced ? I haven't seen an aircraft there for a long time.

By coincidence, I came through here only last week. I always notice how it's going. The A1 traffic didn't seem heavy, but when southbound at 5pm there were still several cars queued there waiting to turn. It has always seemed the busiest of the remaining A1 flat junctions. In contrast I can't recall ever seeing multiple vehicles waiting at the other A1 flat junctions, like Great Ponton, which has a whole string of measures - substantial lighting, protective speed cameras both ways, etc. The Wittering turn has a very lengthy deceleration lane, which I have on occasion seen near-full with waiting vehicles, on one occasion in darkness and rain.
doebag

Post by doebag »

WHBM wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 09:06
jackal wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 17:50 Those are much better than the numbers I mentioned above for 2012-16. I wonder if something minor but effective has been done since then? Signage, markings, etc?
Can it be that military activity at the base has reduced ? I haven't seen an aircraft there for a long time.

By coincidence, I came through here only last week. I always notice how it's going. The A1 traffic didn't seem heavy, but when southbound at 5pm there were still several cars queued there waiting to turn. It has always seemed the busiest of the remaining A1 flat junctions. In contrast I can't recall ever seeing multiple vehicles waiting at the other A1 flat junctions, like Great Ponton, which has a whole string of measures - substantial lighting, protective speed cameras both ways, etc. The Wittering turn has a very lengthy deceleration lane, which I have on occasion seen near-full with waiting vehicles, on one occasion in darkness and rain.
There is currently works going on to the runway, dispersals and lighting. UAS Cambridge are still there and it gets occasional visits from C17's and A400's apparently.

I wonder how many locals do a risk assessment and drive south down to Wansford and turn back northbound.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

WHBM wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 09:06 Can it be that military activity at the base has reduced ? I haven't seen an aircraft there for a long time.

Its primarily used for training and logistical support these days rather than operational flying but there are still up to 1000 personnel on the base and there are at least two gates on the A47 that provide access. I would expect that HGV's would come via the A1 rather than gates like this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5967616 ... &entry=ttu

A poster on another forum asked if there were any plans in the pipeline for upgrades on the A1 and the answer from Highways England was simple and succinct - No !
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

When northbound on the A1 at Wittering I did once have a Hercules pass right overhead me at VERY low height to land. Fortunately, not having tunnel vision, I had seen it coming, indeed from half a mile back, but it could have given someone else a considerable fright.
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Years ago I was buzzed by a fighter jet crossing my path at right angles somewhere around here on the A81. Gave me quite a shock. Initial thought was have I had a blow out. The driver in front panicked and slammed on their brakes and come to a complete stop. I estimated it was flying about twice the height of the trees, which is about as low as I think they are allowed to fly.
Nicola_Jayne

Post by Nicola_Jayne »

CJ wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2009 19:19
Achmelvic wrote:Whilst I reckon the whole route should be upgraded to D3M in the long term I can't help wondering if the HA have any more plans for the A1 or will be just be the odd junction improvement like this?
The A1 is a funny one -- as I understand it, D3M'ing the whole lot between Peterborough and Ferrybridge is still "supported in principle" by the government, ie. they haven't formally scrapped it due to environmental reasons or anything -- it's just that it has never been seen as a high enough priority to attract any funding.

So I'm sure it will get done eventually, but probably not for another 20 years...
the fundamental issue is that Through Notts into S yorkshire and above the M1 is running effectively parallel until it merges and south of the A14 , the signage is trying to send the East London and Dartford crossing traffic A14 - M11
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Nicola_Jayne wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 15:41 the fundamental issue is that Through Notts into S yorkshire and above the M1 is running effectively parallel until it merges and south of the A14 , the signage is trying to send the East London and Dartford crossing traffic A14 - M11
The levels of traffic on the A1 south of Huntingdon are considerably lower than the M1. The signage is appropriate, the A1 south of Doncaster is a lower standard than the M1 so its hardly surprising traffic levels are lower on the A1(M). South of Peterborough this is what the signage is.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3933702 ... &entry=ttu

The M1 ended at Leeds for many years until it was extended to Aberford to reduce traffic merging at A1(M) at J35 which often slows to a crawl. Its clearly overloaded and has been for many years.

As for signage on the A1/A1(M) this is what you see at J35

Straight on
The SOUTH
Newark

Left
Sheffield (M1)
Scunthorpe (M180)
M18

As for the Thames Crossing where else than the Dartford Crossing would you send traffic headed for Kent and the channel crossings ?
The old ferry routes from Margate, Ramsgate and Folkestone are history, yes you can get across from Newhaven and Portsmouth but the Channel Tunnel changed the crossing patterns completely. The first time I went to the continent was in 1973 on this.
Attachments
s Hovercraft.jpg
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 23:59 It staggers me that RIS isn't treating the A1 as a priority for safety improvements; we could blow nearly half a billion on Wisley to achieve nothing yet we still leave death trap at-grade junctions untouched?
Well to be fair there has at least been improvements on the A1 including the Black Cat which is significant, back in 1993 there was a scheme intended to effectively bypass the A1 from Baldock to Alconbury with a new section of A1(M). It got as far as selecting the route before the project was dropped. With the emphasis now on reducing carbon emissions I dont see any government in the next few years getting the green light for a major road project. What I would like to see done is relatively low cost closing the remaining flat junctions between Biggleswade and Buckden. The improvements at Elkesley made things much safer, a simple dumbbell at Great Ponton for example should be a huge reduction in risk. However the anti-smart motorway mob will probably insist on spending vast amounts of money reinstating hard shoulders.
Rogndave

Post by Rogndave »

Apart from the base traffic, Wittering is a substantial village with a population of 2,675. More houses are under construction. Stamford is the nearest town for shops and supermarkets, so there is a strong desire to cross the A1 at grade when returning home. I spoke to a long term Wittering resident who says that she always assesses the amount of A1 northbound traffic before deciding whether to cross or whether to continue via Wansford. She said that the longest time she had waited to cross was seven minutes. It appears that locals are prepared to accept an uncomfortable degree of risk at this crossing. Dare I say that this dangerous situation would have been sorted out long ago if Wittering were situated in the home counties.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Rogndave wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 20:46 Dare I say that this dangerous situation would have been sorted out long ago if Wittering were situated in the home counties.
Counterexample: the A1 in Bedfordshire.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

jackal wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 21:02
Rogndave wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 20:46 Dare I say that this dangerous situation would have been sorted out long ago if Wittering were situated in the home counties.
.. and the fact that many of the more northern junctions have already been upgraded. The argument really doesn't work at all.

That said, Wittering is awful.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Hdeng16 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:21
jackal wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 21:02
.. and the fact that many of the more northern junctions have already been upgraded. The argument really doesn't work at all.

That said, Wittering is awful.
How does the traffic count here compare with the newly upgraded A1(M) in North Yorkshire? Broadly similar I would suspect. Maybe dusting off the Peterborough to Stamford scheme and extending the D3M wouldn't be a bad idea, then places like Wittering can have a proper LAR.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:34 How does the traffic count here compare with the newly upgraded A1(M) in North Yorkshire? Broadly similar I would suspect. Maybe dusting off the Peterborough to Stamford scheme and extending the D3M wouldn't be a bad idea, then places like Wittering can have a proper LAR.
AADF Bramham - 100k
AADF A1 north of Doncaster - 65k
AADF Doncaster Bypass - 80k
AADF north of Wittering - 60k

When it comes to the merge of traffic from the M1, A1 and M62 there is a lot of weaving.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.8260037 ... &entry=ttu
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Rogndave wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 20:46 I spoke to a long term Wittering resident who says that she always assesses the amount of A1 northbound traffic before deciding whether to cross or whether to continue via Wansford. She said that the longest time she had waited to cross was seven minutes.
Seven minutes wouldn't surprise me. I had to make a U turn there last year after my alternator failed just after Carpenters Lodge southbound. AA mechanic chucked a fresh battery in so we could get to Grantham where he had a new alternator. This meant having to cross the very busy northbound side, then use the junction as a jug handle to head north again. I was more scared of making that manoeuvre than I was broken down on a scratty bit of tarmac I'd managed to bail onto when my car died.

I would not have taken that option if it wasn't for the fact that we had limited time to get to Grantham before his replacement battery went flat.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!