[IRL] M20 Cork to Limerick Motorway EIS published

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

Re: [IRL] M20 Cork to Limerick Motorway EIS published

Post by jackal »

Looks like a good scheme. But I'm surprised by the angle they have the mainline corridor meeting the existing N21 at Attyflin, the northernmost junction. It perhaps suggests the N21 will retain the mainline, with an M20 TOTSO. Can't say for sure without drawings.
odlum

Post by odlum »

On the N21/M20 interface, the M21 to Rathkeale is due to start soon and will be finished before this so I think that has a baring on it. It will be an M21/M20 interface. Although it probably could have been planned differently.
odlum

Post by odlum »

Small update on this. It's to be a tolled motorway with final design in Q4. Mainline length would be around 80km.

https://www.irishtimes.com/transport/20 ... st-of-2bn/
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It'd be useful if it could use the same video tolling system as the M50 but I suspect that's going to be asking too much....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
odlum

Post by odlum »

https://twitter.com/LimerickCouncil/sta ... 6972968157

It says it will be barrier free long distance tolling on the road. Hopefully it's all under the one system.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Never understood why this didn’t make the cut in the first tranche of motorway schemes. Why choose Galway over Cork/Limerick??
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

odlum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:51 On the N21/M20 interface, the M21 to Rathkeale is due to start soon and will be finished before this so I think that has a baring on it. It will be an M21/M20 interface. Although it probably could have been planned differently.
To my mind, there would be something satisfying about extending the M7/N7 to take over the N21, and extending the M20/N20 to take over the M18/N18 and M17/N17.

Wasn't the trunk road in the old T/L numbering scheme a continuous route from Cork to Derry?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Berk wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 23:07 Never understood why this didn’t make the cut in the first tranche of motorway schemes. Why choose Galway over Cork/Limerick??
I think that extension of the motorway from Limerick to Galway and then further north to Tuam helps to fulfill connectivity requirements to remoter parts of the west, to stop further depopulation - whereas both Cork and Limerick are connected by high quality motorways already to Dublin - so in terms of priority I think it's always ranked lower.

The amount of traffic heading south from Tuam the other week when I was there did surprise me somewhat - I think it is a case of build it and they will come!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

odlum wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 17:58 https://twitter.com/LimerickCouncil/sta ... 6972968157

It says it will be barrier free long distance tolling on the road. Hopefully it's all under the one system.
Given that eflow is used for all other motorway tolls in Ireland, you would like to think so!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

AndyB wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 17:24
odlum wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 17:58 https://twitter.com/LimerickCouncil/sta ... 6972968157

Given that eflow is used for all other motorway tolls in Ireland, you would like to think so!

There's a couple of caveats around that though, there are different toll tag providers that are interoperable, with eflow being one - these provide an electronic tag that you can use across the motorway tolls in the south. However, only the M50 westlink currently uses barrier free video tolling. I've got an eflow account for this, but don't have a tag because I don't want to pay a higher rate for the toll, or a monthly service charge for having the tag, and therefore I need to use card payments at the other tolls. Much like the implementation of the deposit return scheme, there are far better ways that this could have been done...
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

M50 tag toll is cheaper than video tolling, but you need to use it twice a month to make paying for the tag worthwhile as there are no discounts on the other tolls.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

AndyB wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 09:48 M50 tag toll is cheaper than video tolling, but you need to use it twice a month to make paying for the tag worthwhile as there are no discounts on the other tolls.
Indeed - and I simply don't use it often enough - most of my journeys take in Drogheda and the Port Tunnel...