M27 terminal junction

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Nick_A34

M27 terminal junction

Post by Nick_A34 »

Can anyone local help me with a quick question. At the eastern end of the M27 is the A27 junction signposted as junction 13?

Thanks,

Nick
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

The A27's junctions are not numbered so we'll never know. Maps mark it as J12 though.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
sotonsteve

Post by sotonsteve »

Junction 12 has two slip roads and merges in each direction; for the M275 and for the A3/A27.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

A handful of Collin's Atlases in the mid 1990's showed this junction as jnc 13. It also showed the A27 as motorway upto the A3(M) with jncs 14 (A2030) and 15 (A3(M)).
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

We seem to have this photo at the western end of the M27, saying J12. I wouldn't have thought that the junction immediately prior to that (i.e. on the A27 itself) has a junction number
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

RickyB_uk wrote:We seem to have this photo at the western end of the M27, saying J12. I wouldn't have thought that the junction immediately prior to that (i.e. on the A27 itself) has a junction number
I should've thought of that one - I took it!
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Nick_A34

Post by Nick_A34 »

Thanks for the help folks!

Nick
Rubberduck

Post by Rubberduck »

Slightly off topic, but when was the decision taken that the M27 would end at the M275 and not continue along the route of the present A27 to Chichester?

I ask this because I have a 1975 road atlas that shows the M27 under construction between Portsmouth and Chichester on the route planner but not on the actual road map :?.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Rubberduck wrote:Slightly off topic, but when was the decision taken that the M27 would end at the M275 and not continue along the route of the present A27 to Chichester?

I ask this because I have a 1975 road atlas that shows the M27 under construction between Portsmouth and Chichester on the route planner but not on the actual road map :?.
IIRC it was one of the later "Oil Crisis" cuts. Probably 1977 or so. I can check later.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Lewis

Post by Lewis »

The Havant to Chichester section of the M27 now exists as a high quality D2 built in the 1990's. It amazes me that the plans or the M27 dont have it replaceing the Chichester Bypass, but instead terminating at Fishbourne roundabout.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Lewis wrote:The Havant to Chichester section of the M27 now exists as a high quality D2 built in the 1990's. It amazes me that the plans or the M27 dont have it replaceing the Chichester Bypass, but instead terminating at Fishbourne roundabout.
To be fair, though, the Chichester Bypass is D2, so the M27 (and the new A27) bypassed the single carriageway sections of the old A27.

The fact that the Chichester Bypass is utterly rubbish is neither here nor there...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Steven wrote:
Lewis wrote:The Havant to Chichester section of the M27 now exists as a high quality D2 built in the 1990's. It amazes me that the plans or the M27 dont have it replaceing the Chichester Bypass, but instead terminating at Fishbourne roundabout.
To be fair, though, the Chichester Bypass is D2, so the M27 (and the new A27) bypassed the single carriageway sections of the old A27.

The fact that the Chichester Bypass is utterly rubbish is neither here nor there...
But if your building a motorway all the way from the New Forest, surely extending it just past Chichester isnt difficault. But then, bypassing Arundel and Worthing seems like such hard work for this country, its amazing any motorway got built at all ;)
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Lewis wrote:But if your building a motorway all the way from the New Forest, surely extending it just past Chichester isnt difficault
Not technically, no.

Put yourself in the mid-1970s, though. I rather suspect that the Chichester Bypass wasn't anywhere near as bad then as it is today, and if you just looked at a map you might well conclude that it's no worse than the sections of D2 A27 to either side...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Steven wrote:
Lewis wrote:But if your building a motorway all the way from the New Forest, surely extending it just past Chichester isnt difficault
Not technically, no.

Put yourself in the mid-1970s, though. I rather suspect that the Chichester Bypass wasn't anywhere near as bad then as it is today, and if you just looked at a map you might well conclude that it's no worse than the sections of D2 A27 to either side...
Thats true. But then I don't remember the 70's, I'm not old enough ;)
Rubberduck

Post by Rubberduck »

RickyB_uk wrote:We seem to have this photo at the western end of the M27, saying J12. I wouldn't have thought that the junction immediately prior to that (i.e. on the A27 itself) has a junction number
Just noticed the road numbers on the primary signs are in white :wink:.