A1(M) BRAMHAM WETHERBY

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

mehere

A1(M) BRAMHAM WETHERBY

Post by mehere »

I was wondering when is work to start? I have seen surveyors parked up last week and all the fences seem to have notices pinned.
jcb336

Post by jcb336 »

Good question-my last info from the Agency was the spring.
John Butler
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

If the works involve ground clearance they would be likely to start soon as bird nesting season is March to September when they can't be disturbed
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
luchar

Post by luchar »

Just a question: is the whole upgrade to motorway of the A1 between London and Newcastle planned ? Or just a few sections ?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

luchar wrote:Just a question: is the whole upgrade to motorway of the A1 between London and Newcastle planned ? Or just a few sections ?
The entire section between the M25 and Gateshead was planned to be upgraded to motorway in 1994.

However, that was cancelled in 1997, and now it's only the sections north of the Doncaster Bypass that are due to be upgraded to motorway.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

C83

Post by C83 »

There also doesn't appear to be any intention of upgrading the 2 lane (but already motorway) section around Durham, unless they're assuming that enough traffic will turn off onto the A66.
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

Steven wrote:
luchar wrote:Just a question: is the whole upgrade to motorway of the A1 between London and Newcastle planned ? Or just a few sections ?
The entire section between the M25 and Gateshead was planned to be upgraded to motorway in 1994.

However, that was cancelled in 1997, and now it's only the sections north of the Doncaster Bypass that are due to be upgraded to motorway.
Oh well, If I go up to newcastle in the future, it'll be good to know I'll be on a proper motorway :D
C83 wrote:There also doesn't appear to be any intention of upgrading the 2 lane (but already motorway) section around Durham, unless they're assuming that enough traffic will turn off onto the A66.
I'd personally think (as you've said) a fair amount of traffic would go onto the A66 there. Just as a lot of traffic comes off the A1 onto the A64 (eastbound), not all that traffic is for york or the east coast - a fair amount goes onto the A19 northbound. I'd expect a lot of freight would turn off onto the A66 for teesport.

--

I've just thought: will they simply improve the existing road, or build a whole new road parallel to the existing A1? (I haven't read much about it yet). On the north side of bramham crossroads there is a local road on the right-hand-side (if viewed on multimap) that I think was the old A1 before the crossroads was altered for the A1/M1 scheme. What would happen at the bramham area, where the A1 is 'boxed in' by bramham village on one side, and a manor on the other side?
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
stu531

Post by stu531 »

The existing 3-lane A1 won't need so much work to get it up to D3M quality - it's pretty much already there. Between Wetherby Grange and Aberford, the main bits of work are the removal of the south-bound lay-by between Boston Spa and Bramham, and the closure of the Bramham (Tenter Hill) junction - it wouldn't be part of a motorway network.

So the road to the east of the A1 between Aberford and Bramham will be upgraded to a single-carriageway, similar standard to the Aberford road, to connect to the old A1 at Bramham. Then it will run on the western side of the A1 from Tenter Hill to the A659 junction.

Stu
MJN

Post by MJN »

True Yorkie wrote: I'd expect a lot of freight would turn off onto the A66 for teesport.
Surely Teesport traffic from the south would use the A168/A19/A66 from Thirsk? Unless of course it joined the A1 north of here.

Hopefully I didn't misread that...
A303Paul

Post by A303Paul »

Steven wrote:

Have any plans been published for Doncaster - M62?

I would not be surprised if Baldock - Alconbury eventually gets upgraded.
MatthewB6323

Post by MatthewB6323 »

A303Paul wrote: Have any plans been published for Doncaster - M62?
The current state of affairs seems to be that included in a report found at this address: www.gos.gov.uk/goyh/docs/199734/199807/352620. It's a Word document, and while the scheme is mentioned in several places, pages 24-25 are the most relevant:
5.36 The A1 Redhouse – Darrington improvement will help contribute to the regional priority of improving north-south strategic road links. Whilst the scheme scores well, and is an important scheme for the region, it does not help to deliver the two highest priority outcome identified in the RTS, and does not demonstrate as strong a policy fit as the other schemes named here under prioritisation. It is understood that whilst this, and the A160/A180 Improvements and A63 Castle Street are all being considered in the identification of priorities under the Northern Way connectivity stream, the latter two named are regarded as being important in the next 5-10 years, whereas the A1 Redhouse – Darrington improvement is being examined as part of the 10-20 year programme. Thus, whilst the prioritisation identifies the scheme as an important one for the region, because of affordability and programming issues, it is recommended that this scheme is considered to be of longer term importance, rather than for inclusion within advice to government in the period to 2015/16.
Elsewhere the A1(M) improvements with which Redhouse-Ferrybridge was joined are treated as entirely a Highways Agency scheme and not related to regional funding decisions. There was, a few months ago, a discussion document for the relevant local authorities online which described the route of the proposed A1(M) from Redhouse to Ferrybridge, but I can't find it at the moment.
A303Paul wrote:I would not be surprised if Baldock - Alconbury eventually gets upgraded.
Agreed, though the only plans on the table (without a route having been published, and unlikely to proceed before 2016) are those for the A1 Sandy and Beeston By-pass.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I'd personally think (as you've said) a fair amount of traffic would go onto the A66 there. Just as a lot of traffic comes off the A1 onto the A64 (eastbound), not all that traffic is for york or the east coast - a fair amount goes onto the A19 northbound. I'd expect a lot of freight would turn off onto the A66 for teesport.
They'd have to add a D2 Darlington bypass into the contract for that to be feasible I suggest but it seems to be a good idea.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

MJN wrote:
True Yorkie wrote: I'd expect a lot of freight would turn off onto the A66 for teesport.
Surely Teesport traffic from the south would use the A168/A19/A66 from Thirsk? Unless of course it joined the A1 north of here.

Hopefully I didn't misread that...
whoops! I got the positions of Durham and Darlington swapped around again!
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
Roadtripper_Ian

Post by Roadtripper_Ian »

Bryn666 wrote:
They'd have to add a D2 Darlington bypass into the contract for that to be feasible I suggest but it seems to be a good idea.
Its simple. Extend the A66(M) south of the current Darlo bypass, give proper access to Teeside airport, then merge the motorway into the Stockton Bypass section of A66. Run motorway status through 'Boro and give it to the A689 - A174 section of A19(M) at the same time.

Hang on, this is 2056 isn't it?
"I don't make the rules, ma'am, I just make them up and write them down"
mehere

Post by mehere »

SO back to the question at hand does anyone have any idea of a start date?
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

You would think that a lot of traffic would leave the A1 n/b to go to the A66, but it doesn't. It gets busier, and upgrade to D3M will needed soon.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

mehere wrote:SO back to the question at hand does anyone have any idea of a start date?
Work in respect of detail design and environmental mitigation have already started.
As Glenn said higher up there are envronmental and ecological constraints and these mean that actual construction will start in spring 2007. (It's also generally a bit too wet for eartmoving until after Easter)
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Its simple. Extend the A66(M) south of the current Darlo bypass, give proper access to Teeside airport, then merge the motorway into the Stockton Bypass section of A66. Run motorway status through 'Boro and give it to the A689 - A174 section of A19(M) at the same time.

Hang on, this is 2056 isn't it?
Unfortunately so! Would be good to see though - the A19 is deserving to be a motorway in its own right; Teeside is a large conurbation. Built up areas smaller than that in Germany have motorway networks, after all.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
DeightonDriver

Re: A1(M) BRAMHAM WETHERBY

Post by DeightonDriver »

mehere wrote:I was wondering when is work to start? I have seen surveyors parked up last week and all the fences seem to have notices pinned.
I've been waiting for signs of a contractors depot or something to appear, but not noticed anything as yet. But I don't travel further south than the A659 junction most of the time, so I wouldn't necessarily see it. But as has already been said, between Bramham crossroads and Wetherby Grange it won't take much to upgrade the existing road. The section around Wetherby to link into the Wetherby-Walshford section of A(1)M requires a new bridge over the river Wharfe and asymmetric widening to the east of the existing carriageway, so that will be very obvious when it gets going.
DeightonDriver

Post by DeightonDriver »

The road orders were published in the Wetherby News last Friday