A1 GSJs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Lonewolf

A1 GSJs

Post by Lonewolf »

Had a run down and up the A1 today. Can report that work is progressing at Blyth, Apleyhead and Markham Moor at pace. Can't say the same for Gt Gonerby or Colsterworth.

Wolfie
Wolfie

FB me!
Sam

Post by Sam »

The HA's page on this project is here.

The northernmost four roundabouts (Blyth, Apleyhead, Markham Moor and Gonerby Moor) are all underway. Apleyhead and Gonerby are mostly offline works, so I guess there's not as much to see at those junctions.

Colsterworth and Carpenter's Lodge still haven't got the final go-ahead, so it's unlikely you'll see anything happening there just yet.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Are the flyovers being built to allow D3 or will they need replacing when it's finally upgraded to a motorway in 50 years time?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Roadtripper_Ian

Post by Roadtripper_Ian »

A pity that they didn't GSJ the Black Cat when they rebuilt it last year....
"I don't make the rules, ma'am, I just make them up and write them down"
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The reason apparently being that section may be bypassed 'soon'...

Presumably then, it'll be done before I get my telegram from the Queen on June 22, 2088? :?:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Roadnut

Post by Roadnut »

Re the question on the width of the flyovers. I went to the public exhibition at Stamford sometime back and was told that as it was likely that if ever that stretch of the A1 was to be brought up to 3 lane motorway standard it would probably not be on the present line of the road, so the bridges were only 2D width.

Roadnut
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

I'm hoping that they'll at least build them as D2H with hardshoulders under the new bridges??
Ian198

Post by Ian198 »

Bryn666 wrote:Presumably then, it'll be done before I get my telegram from the Queen on June 22, 2088? :?:
I wonder if Big Ears knows his Ma will still be in the job?
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

Traffic is now being diverted around temporary roundabouts at Blyth. I think these are the sites for the dumbbell roundabouts. I've seen the n/b one, but there are regular 5 -7 mile queues s/b, so I haven't seen that one yet! I'm going down the M1 or A60 instead.

Five Lanes End is a huge building site!

Earthworks are continuing at Gonerby Moor, and the bridge supports and embankments are progressing well.

Tree clearance has begun at Colsterworth; the only work done to date here.

Zilch is happening at Stamford - at this rate it'll be 2009 before this project is complete!

Andy
Andy

If you've got it, a truck brought it!
Sam

Post by Sam »

It's a shame the Stamford (Carpenters' Lodge) roundabout scheme is one of the two not-yet started, because in my experience, it's the joint worst of these six roundabouts for causing traffic problems (sharing the title with Blyth).

I haven't looked at the details, but I'm surprised Stamford's been the slowest to get started. It's only a three-arm junction and arguably there's not much flow from southbound A1 onto the B-road, or from Stamford going to A1 north, so it could just be replaced with a pair of south-facing slips...
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I wonder if Big Ears knows his Ma will still be in the job?
I'm hoping for some medical miracle to make HMQ outlive the Charles... :P

Back to the original post, I doubt any of these will be built with motorway upgrade in mind...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

The bridge girders are in position at Five Lanes End now, whilst Blyth is rapidly becoming unrecognisable. There is now a new roundabout on the s/b side - in addition to the n/b one - on an embankment roughly next to where the exit from the services met the A614.

The A614 itself meets the A1 here at this new roundabout, whilst services traffic now emerges directly onto the old roundabout, which all A1 traffic still has to negotiate. Hope that's clear as mud!

Andy
Andy

sotonsteve

Post by sotonsteve »

Bryn666 wrote:The reason apparently being that section may be bypassed 'soon'...

Presumably then, it'll be done before I get my telegram from the Queen on June 22, 2088? :?:
Don't get your hopes up, whether it's the section getting bypassed, getting your telegram from the Queen, or telegrams being handed out at 100 if at all.
Sam

Post by Sam »

The HA have just updated the project page (here) to say Colsterworth and Carpenters Lodge have successfully gone through that statutory procedures, and works will begin next month. Start of works exhibitions have been announced.

So finally work will be underway on all 6 GSJs between Peterborough and Blyth.
jmbillings

Post by jmbillings »

Did anyone go to the s.o.w exhibition at the Lady Annes this weekend? I couldn't make it... wondered if anything interesting was shown!
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

Sam wrote:
So finally work will be underway on all 6 GSJs between Peterborough and Blyth.
When complete, the Black Cat will be the first roundabout you reach after the Berwick bypass - a 283 mile stretch
jmbillings

Post by jmbillings »

t1(M) wrote:
When complete, the Black Cat will be the first roundabout you reach after the Berwick bypass - a 283 mile stretch
Not quite - there is the one a few miles south of the A14 junction, with the "Car Transportes prohibited at Kimbolton" sign!
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

jmbillings wrote:
Not quite - there is the one a few miles south of the A14 junction, with the "Car Transportes prohibited at Kimbolton" sign!
Buckden here

Any plans to bypass this one? Looks too built up to have a GSJ.[/url]
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

jmbillings wrote:
t1(M) wrote:
Not quite - there is the one a few miles south of the A14 junction, with the "Car Transporters prohibited at Kimbolton" sign!
(Re-reads his own F99 account) :oops:
make that 273 miles then............
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

A small amount of tree clearance work has been undertaken at Colsterworth, on the n/b verge just north of the rail bridge, and on the n/b verge at the roundabout itself.

Andy
Andy