Worst motorway junction in Britain

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

What do you think is Britain's worst motorway junction?

M1/M6/A14 catthorpe interchange
46%
M25/M26/A21
8%
M40 J15 longbridge
1%
M60 simister island
8%
M27/M271
5%
M57/M58/A59 switch island
7%
M8 J20 kingston bridge (source of M8 jams)
3%
M62/M621/A62/A650 J27 on M62 (again, big queue causer)
5%
please state if other junction
18%

Total votes: 169

RoadaddictReece

Worst motorway junction in Britain

Post by RoadaddictReece »

What do you think is the worst junction out of these 8? if your option is not here please choose other.this poll will run forever.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

They are all bad except for Chevening. I don't know why people think it's so bad. It's fully freeflow and although one key movement is missing and the M25 TOTSO's it's a brilliant piece of engineering. The queuing below is caused by a lack of capacity on the M25 rather than the junction itself.

Last edited by Truvelo on Fri Feb 22, 2008 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

M50 J3 is the worst, but most of those are pretty bad too.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

StormA1022 wrote:M50 J3 is the worst, but most of those are pretty bad too.
Yes, but it's perfectly fine for the traffic levels it handles. Most of those on the list can't handle the traffic levels that use them.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
A8000Bob

Post by A8000Bob »

Hermiston Gait.

The Queues aren't so bad on the M8, but its just so frustrating that they spent all that money on fancy flyovers for the A71, but the M8 ends at a trafic light controlled roundabout. Why not grade seperate it instead of wasting all the money. :roll:

Most of the queues on the bypass are nothing to do with the junction itself, but the lack of capacity on the bypass between Hermiston Gait and Lothianburn.
Capsulk

Post by Capsulk »

Catthorpe gets it for me, it's not the worst junction because it's busy, it's just terrible, not how major roads should meet.
RoadaddictReece

It looks like at this moment catthorpe is the worst with 57% percent the poll only just started though and i thought Simister would be more known and more chosen since i uploaded 5 photos around that interchange...

however, as i promised this will go on for ages so anything can happen.
M45 Tailback

Post by M45 Tailback »

I presume your defenition of 'Worst Junction' is the same as CBRD. As others have pointed out some junctions are just overloaded (Tollbar) whereas some may be poor design but the low traffic levels don't justify altering them (M50 Jn3).

I could reel off a list of congested junctions but are they 'Bad Junctions'?
Steve S

Resurrect the A604!
RoadaddictReece

yeah i could say that really as i learnt about these junctions there but i also looked in my collins atlas and found the junction designs. i have not visited the bad junctions area recently but i know M8 J20 was not there. also i feel these junctions are badly designed
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I think the big one is missing: M40 J10. J15 isn't that bad provided you get in the right lane and 'go with the flow', same with Tollbar. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be removed, though.

Out of the ones listed there, Catthorpe is the worst. M27 J3 and M50 J3 are both absolutely fine.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Halstead

Post by Halstead »

Truvelo wrote:They are all bad except for Chevening. I don't know why people think it's so bad. It's fully freeflow and although one key movement is missing and the M25 TOTSO's it's a brilliant piece of engineering.
I used to be a local of this junction and would rather defend it than attacking it. Sadly they want to add extra slip roads to M26 and I'm partly against this due to the fact that Chevening Road may be demolished in the process which IMV is a very impressive road that provides a great view of the motorway as shown above. Plus travelling on the loop to the A21 can be pretty fun too.
6 years...
RoadaddictReece

I felt like putting cheivening in due to the TOTSO and dont forget traffic driving west through this junction who forgot about J2a and wanted to exit...
RoadaddictReece

dont forget westbound M26 here. one of the reasons i placed this junction here.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I’d like to also nominate M6, Junction 15. The off and on-slip southbound aren’t that bad to be fair, but they’re ridiculously tight on the northbound carriageway and the on-slip is far too short given the speed you have to approach it from the tight loop.

Catthorpe is badly designed and one place where I wouldn’t want a Dumbell to be used. The lane drop between both roundabouts under the M1 really doesn’t help either. This junction certainly needs a complete redesign to increase free-flow.

M50 junction 3 also has to be amongst the worst. It may be acceptable for the traffic levels I agree, but this is barely acceptable for a busy dualled A road...
RoadaddictReece

Looking at the ariel veiw there looks like a bit more space for the northbound slips or they could bulldoze M6 J15 and make a new GSJ with the road where the northbound exit leaves the M6. may need to put James irlams depot into consideration though...
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Something like this?

The problem is that, IIRC, the gradient isn't all it seems in the aerial view so any decent GSJ would cost a lot of money.

Are north-facing slips even needed now we have the D-road?
RoadaddictReece

sounds like a real good idea. i would kepp the north facing slips as without these a southbound journey would have 20+ miles without exiting (not including MSAs. you managed to not chop many trees down and saved james irlam as well.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

RoadaddictReece wrote:sounds like a real good idea. i would kepp the north facing slips as without these a southbound journey would have 20+ miles without exiting (not including MSAs. you managed to not chop many trees down and saved james irlam as well.
20? I (or Google, actually) make it 9 miles!
RoadaddictReece

oh pardon. as in J14 to J16 is around 20 miles i was meant to say...
The road addict has returned!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Sorry, you're right.