A635(M) Anybody?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Paul

A635(M) Anybody?

Post by Paul »

I was making my way back from Swinton to Sheffield yesterday via Manchester so was zipping along the Mancunian Way, looking out for the totso from A57(M) to A57 at Ardwick. I overshot (damn close junction spacing on ubran motorways!) but ended up back on the A57 via Fairfield Street and Ardwick Station.

Anyway, what's interesting is tha the flyover that runs into the A635 is obviously motorway-class for the length of the bridge because traffic flows inexorably into the A57(M) the other way. But the A57 number leaves just before the flyover. So is thisa very short bit of what must be A635(M) or is it a very short spur of the A57 as A57(M)?

Map to help:
https://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dl ... 50&A=Y&Z=1

Paul
Regards,
Paul
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Paul,
That bit of the A57(M) is relatively recent, being built in about 1991. Previously there was a flat roundabout junction at this point.
In addition, the A57 only leaves the A57(M) as a multiplex with the A6 down towardsThe Apollo.

If memory serves, the start of restrictions sign heading westbound clearly says "A57(M)". It's basically just a section of the junction, rather than anything in its own right.
Mind you,the same sort of claim could be made for the A666(M)...
Steven
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Paul

Post by Paul »

Nice try though, eh?

Paul
Regards,
Paul
M56phil

Post by M56phil »

Ax(M) roads are my nemesis....they are the "dark side" of SabreImage
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

M56phil: <<that revolting A6144(M) which is (thank god) to be declassified post M60 widening.>>

Steady on! It's not all that bad, it's just a road with fewer lanes than you'd expect!

Chris
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

Not just fewer lanes - it's one whole carriageway short of being a proper motorway!
swanofkennet

Post by swanofkennet »

>>it's one whole carriageway short of being a proper motorway!

Hey, I'm learning a lot since I've been here!

I used to think the now defunct M41 Shepherds Bush Bypass, which I used to use quite a lot when I commuted from Notting Hill to Uxbridge, was a singular anomaly because it had a 40mph speed limit along its entire length. Now I learn there are more wacky motorways that I ever dreamt of!

But then I've also learned that a motorway is like a forest. A motorway is a road covered by motorway regulations, regardless of number of lanes, number of carriageways, speed limit or provision of hard shoulders - am I right?

Just as a forest is an area in which forest law applies, regardless of the presence or absence of trees (which is why there aren't many trees to be seen from the A537 through Macclesfield Forest or the B3212 across the middle of Dartmoor Forest.

So, as a matter of interest, what is the largest number of carriageways on a British motorway?
si404

Post by si404 »

DI Blanchard<<So, as a matter of interest, what is the largest number of carriageways on a British motorway?>>

4 M20 j5-6, M60 j7-8 (will be 6-8 not long from now), M8 in Glasgow j20-21 (sort of-you never really know with the Glasgow M8), M5 j15-16, M25 j14 (when T5 spur is done), several more with all purpose roads (and on all purpose roads). M61 j1-3

there are a couple of threes, but there is the fantansticbit the M60 that has 6 parallel carriageays (j15-14). 4 of these are pretty much slips however.

Simon

PS ignore any crap typing-it was my last day at schoolyesterday (it now being Tuesday) and a went and had alittle drink with mymates yesterday evening. Kids-don't do what i've done-not good (especially when you are a lightweight like me).
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

<<which is why there aren't many trees to be seen from the A537 through Macclesfield Forest>>

Most of Macclesfield Forest lies to the South of the A537 - and is actually stillvery heavily wooded.

<<but there is the fantansticbit the M60 that has 6 parallel carriageays (j15-14). 4 of these are pretty much slips however.>>
2 of them form the mainline of the M60 - 2 of them effectivelyform the mainline of the M61 - the other 2 are basically sliproads from the M60 to the A580 - but 6 parallel carriageways nevertheless.
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

Seulementsix chaussees?Zut alors!Pathetique!Ici nous avons huit!AFrance la Gloire!
(Yes, I did draw attention to this road in message 10 (same number) of another thread. Is this convergent evolution?)
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Di: <<Now I learn there are more wacky motorways that I ever dreamt of!>>

You'd better believe it!

Normal ones are just dull...

Simon H: <<the fantansticbit the M60 that has 6 parallel carriageays >>

To be honest, I'm alwayss more impressed by the M8 just east of the M77 junction. It may only have four carriageways, but they are full carriageways, each one has three lanes plus hard shoulder, and are completely parallel.

Steven
Steven
Motorway Historian

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I think that it is actually the A635(M).
See here...
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/s ... 6_en_2.htm
:oP
Chris
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Thryduulf

Post by Thryduulf »

"The City of Manchester (Mancunian Way A635(M) and A57(M) Mancunian Way Slip Roads) Special Road Scheme 1992"

Is there a reason why the A635(M) number comes after the road name (Mancunian Way) but the A57(m) number comes before it?

The latter is the way I phrase things (e.g. M5 Avonmouth Bridge, M4 Port Talbot Bypass) and I think that (for once) I don't differ from the conventional common useage.
The user formerly known as Chris 'Awkward' McKenna
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

<<"The City of Manchester (Mancunian Way A635(M) and A57(M) Mancunian Way Slip Roads) Special Road Scheme 1992">>

Flipping heck!

(shuffles off to change PM's A57(M) page....)

Steven
Steven
Motorway Historian

Paul

Post by Paul »

Vindicated! Image

Paul
Regards,
Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

<<"The City of Manchester (Mancunian Way A635(M) and A57(M) Mancunian Way Slip Roads) Special Road Scheme 1992">>
<<Flipping heck!>>

Yes, the A64(M) is no longer the UK's shortest length of motorway! It is however, still the shortest on maps and signs, as no on-the-ground reference exists for the A635(M).

Paul
Regards,
Paul
si404

Post by si404 »

i think the A635(M) wins the prize of being britain's most pathetic motorway!

unless there are more like that...

The A308(M) is shorter than the A64(M), or one carraigeway of it at least!

i'm off to look at some SIs now... hopefully find something good.

Simon
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Roadtripper_Ian

Post by Roadtripper_Ian »

Have a look for the A195(M) in Washington.....
Ian
"I don't make the rules, ma'am, I just make them up and write them down"
M60-Tony

Post by M60-Tony »

Does the A635(M) also win the prize for being the shortest lived motorway in Britain?

Tony
Tony

"We have more and more laws, and less and less law enforcement."