Open Street Map

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RR8

Open Street Map

Post by RR8 »

Is there a version of the maps on OpenStreetMap that you can download for private editing, or even just a way of being able to edit privately so that other users cannot see your edits?
nowster
Treasurer

Re: Open Street Map

Post by nowster »

Of course, you can download the data for your own use.

Why on earth would you want a PRIVATE section on an OPEN street map? It's totally against its principles.
bealach na ba

Post by bealach na ba »

RR8 wrote:Is there a version of the maps on OpenStreetMap that you can download for private editing, or even just a way of being able to edit privately so that other users cannot see your edits?
I expect that's what the 'offline' option in Merkaartor is for (assuming you've already downloaded an appropriate data set). The OSM Wiki is probably a more productive place to ask than here, though.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

nowster wrote:Why on earth would you want a PRIVATE section on an OPEN street map? It's totally against its principles.
I'm taking a wild stab in the dark that they may want to create fantasy maps? Seems like possibly a good idea, which certainly wouldn't be a good idea for editing live OSM data!
mackerski

Post by mackerski »

nowster wrote:Of course, you can download the data for your own use.

Why on earth would you want a PRIVATE section on an OPEN street map? It's totally against its principles.
It could be as a result of the abuse you get when you break the real OSM data through fantasy edits.

Just a theory...
Edgemaster

Post by Edgemaster »

There are some sandbox OSM websites available, however they have a completely blank database, and the data does not get rendered into the pretty map.
However, it has been a long standing intention of mine to provide this functionality.

I'll have a stab at setting it up when given the OK to do so by the server admins.
kevjs

Post by kevjs »

nowster wrote:Why on earth would you want a PRIVATE section on an OPEN street map? It's totally against its principles.
Fantasy Road Maps

(Done in Merkaartor BTW)

Just remember not to press that upload button :cop:
vlad

Post by vlad »

kevjs wrote:Fantasy Road Maps

So if we look at openstreetmap in a few weeks and notice far more blue lines than there should be, we'll know that certain Sabristi have been having fun and forgetting where to save their finished product.... :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
kevjs

Post by kevjs »

vlad wrote:
kevjs wrote:Fantasy Road Maps

So if we look at openstreetmap in a few weeks and notice far more blue lines than there should be, we'll know that certain Sabristi have been having fun and forgetting where to save their finished product.... :)

Who needs to upload to OSM when you can make your own slippy maps?

http://kjs.me.uk/osm/fantasy.php?zoom=1 ... ayers=B000

Now to tidy up my instructions http://www.kjs.me.uk/wiki/Mapnik and get a decent stylesheet as the one that comes with Mapnik is a little on the rubbish side (okay, is complete and utter shirt).
bealach na ba

Post by bealach na ba »

kevjs wrote:complete and utter shirt).
T-shirt or button-up? ;)
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

That's a pretty good impression of the Preston box. You've even made Penwortham Way freeflow at the A59 GSJ like I have.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
kevjs

Post by kevjs »

bealach na ba wrote:
kevjs wrote:complete and utter shirt).
T-shirt or button-up? ;)
Moth eaten - worked out why the default stylesheet was rubbish - it's been changed to take advantage of the latest version of Mapnik, but my Ubuntu didn't have that!

Checked out an old version of the stylesheet and it all worked :roll:
Truvelo wrote:That's a pretty good impression of the Preston box. You've even made Penwortham Way freeflow at the A59 GSJ like I have.
It reminds me of the A453 into Nottingham from the A52 - a bit of a winding route into the city from a major "ring" road, and you can't really make it the main route in and have the A59 roundabouts...

Was trying to work out how to make the A582/M59 junction freeflow for M59 to Preston traffic without flattening half of Penwortham though..
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Here's what I did around Penwortham although it doesn't feature any M59.

Click image to enlarge
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.