A28

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mr C

A28

Post by Mr C »

The road nerd in my needs to know about the start of the A28!

Is it at the clocktower roundabout with interchanging with the B2051 Marine Drive and the A254 running along Marine Gardens or does it start at the junction of the Marine Gardens and Belgrave Road with the A254 starting on Belgrave Rd? The sign on the A28 heading east towards the roundabout doesn't mention the A28 but that could simply be for economy of expression. The T junction where Belgrave Rd meets Marine Gardens has a sign saying that the road to the left is the A28 but as this is only a few yards from the roundabout this too could be for the sake of simplicity.
si404

Re: A28

Post by si404 »

The Ordnance Survey says the latter.

Looking at older maps, this makes sense (see the 1:25000 layer on SABRE maps - the A254 and B2051 run along the High Street.

Of course, Advance Direction Signs treat Clocktower as one junction. The ones on the A28 and B2051 show the section of road between the C503 and the mini roundabout as narrower than the primary route approaching from. However, from the A254, the thick line starts on the ADS as you turn left, but is an older sign without the junction name. This, however, is merely dealing with primary status. OS goes with the A254's sign.

The Flamingo is considered to be on Marine Terrace, which is A28.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Mr C

Post by Mr C »

Sorry you've lost me! What is the C503. It isn't obvious from your post.
si404

Post by si404 »

Look on Open Street Map. It's Marine Gardens. But I wanted to separate it from the bit of 'Marine Gardens' between the mini roundabout and Belgrave Road, as until I looked up the Flamingo's address, I didn't know that that bit of road wasn't Marine Gardens, but rather Marine Terrace.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson