IRL: MSA progress and signage

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

IrlRon

Re: IRL: MSA progress and signage

Post by IrlRon »

Supposedly the N69 upgrade is an EU-requirement due to Limerick - Foynes being designated a part of the Ten-T network. It is a national secondary route (mostly known as the "scenic route" to Tralee), though its many years since I travelled any sort of distance on it IIRC its of grand standard for the amount of traffic it carries (which in no one's book justifies a motorway). Even the NRA are saying they will only do this project because the EU is making them and it's at the bottom of their priority list...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/st ... 87160.html
nirs

Post by nirs »

Interesting. There are a number of roads in NI that are part of the TEN-T network (core or comprehensive), but I'm not aware of any requirement on Roads Service to upgrade them for this reason.
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
CrackersA361

Post by CrackersA361 »

Surely if the EU are leaning on the NRA to get on with this project then they will be stumping up a sizeable (if not all) of the money required for this?

Also, I doubt they'd use an N/M3x number for the route because it follows the N69 so closely. They'd tie it in to the N18 Limerick ring road and run it straight out parallel to the N69, thus meeting, or passing close to, all of the settlements already served by the road.

Thinking about it further, I suspect the maximum we'd get is a HQDC N69 because for it to tie into the N18 at the Limerick end it would have to be all-purpose.

The only other solution (that might then involve an N/M3x number) would be to utilise the fancy spur at M20 J3 and run something past Raheen Business Park before turning westwards further north, closer to the N69. I think this would be more logical as it would save duplicating what is already a decent route along the M20 out of Limerick and prevent having to tamper with the Limerick ring road which would be pretty disruptive.

All speculation at the present though! :)
James

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans. A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

CrackersA361 wrote:Also, I doubt they'd use an N/M3x number for the route because it follows the N69 so closely.
That's the point - the N69 would be upgraded to a National Primary Route in the process as per the N30 (formerly N79) and N26 (formerly N57).

From the SABRE Wiki: N30 :

The N30 is an important link road between Enniscorthy and New Ross in County Wexford in the south-east of Ireland. While it originally ran between the centres of these two towns to connect the N11 with the N25, the opening of new dualled bypasses at each end have seen it extended to reach the recent M11 at its eastern extreme, and the

... Read More