The old M1 jct2

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DavidNW9

The old M1 jct2

Post by DavidNW9 »

I walked a short part of the old M1 offramp in Mill Hill some years ago, and revisited it today in case there were any road signs as it was totally untouched since closure, but it's now locked up and unable to access. Does anyone know if there were any left behind, and better still any photos of them? I am guessing as it was a very early junction it may even have had some pre-1964

Last edited by DavidNW9 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: The old M1 jct1

Post by Steven »

DavidNW9 wrote:I walked a short part of the old M1 offramp in Mill Hill some years ago, and revisited it today in case there were any road signs as it was totally untouched since closure, but it's now locked up and unable to access. Does anyone know if there were any left behind, and better still any photos of them? I am guessing as it was a very early junction it may even have had some pre-1964

If you mean Junction 2, then I was that way a few years ago. There was no signage left then, just the odd barrier.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

DavidNW9 wrote:I am guessing as it was a very early junction it may even have had some pre-1964
And the M1 didn't reach J2 until 1967. It ended at J5 until 1966.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Do I remember correctly that the sliproad was reopened temporarily in 92 after the Staples Corner bombing?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
si404

Post by si404 »

Steven wrote:If you mean Junction 2, then I was that way a few years ago. There was no signage left then, just the odd barrier.
It was weird, but mostly in the lack of obviously being a former motorway - it harked more to its earlier past as a disused railway alignment rather than a motorway slip road most of the time (ie when there was the odd catseye or barrier bit or white line), IIRC (was it 2005 we did it or 2006?).

Except, of course, when you end up with just a barrier separating you from the M1 here.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I wandered along this in May 2011 with quite easy access, the huge security fence that appears on Streetview wasn't there then. There are no signs visible in my photos, just lots of overgrown trees and graffiti on the walls.

Rubbish lay everywhere but white lines, rumble strips and some catseyes had survived. Very weird to be standing on a road connected to a motorway with only a crash barrier between you and 80mph cars.
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

In June 2013 I recall there being a few cones, but definitely no signs
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

I'd imagine that the signs would be the first thing taken down when the junction was taken out of use
Built for comfort, not speed.
samxool

Post by samxool »

the streetlights are still standing (and rusting away)
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Steven wrote:
DavidNW9 wrote:I walked a short part of the old M1 offramp in Mill Hill some years ago, and revisited it today in case there were any road signs as it was totally untouched since closure, but it's now locked up and unable to access. Does anyone know if there were any left behind, and better still any photos of them? I am guessing as it was a very early junction it may even have had some pre-1964

If you mean Junction 2, then I was that way a few years ago. There was no signage left then, just the odd barrier.
Thanks Steven, that will save me thinking I'd missed something. I walked a short way that time, and didn't see any, but being the end of the line you'd have expected an 'end of motorway' and a direction sign to the A roads and as it was left totally as it was and derelict ever since normally if nothing was touched the signs would have been left like the Marie Celeste.

I forgot the junction number detail, but was it assigned J2 specially at the time as they planned to extend it to Staples Corner, although that took many years after the original part was created? That would have been fairly presumptuous, looking at how many other motorways have never been extended, some even after work began like the dire M23. Normally adding an A after the old junction is sufficient, although the M4 at Maidenhead just removed one number entirely leaving a gap (I used to remember most exactly but life's too short...).
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

wrinkly wrote:
DavidNW9 wrote:I am guessing as it was a very early junction it may even have had some pre-1964
And the M1 didn't reach J2 until 1967. It ended at J5 until 1966.
I forgot that, I thought the M1 was one of the first run before 1965. If not then all the signs would be the current style so nothing there of note regardless. At least they clearly intended to build to Mill Hill in 1967, they just took a little time to finish it so opened it in two stages. Leaving what, two decades, between 2 and the new 1 though seems a bit cheeky to me.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

All Anderson era motorway signs are gone now. Sadly.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

DavidNW9 wrote:I forgot the junction number detail, but was it assigned J2 specially at the time as they planned to extend it to Staples Corner, although that took many years after the original part was created?
Well, the M1 has actually been slowly chopped back over time. The original planned terminus was near Marble Arch at the "A" Ring, then pared back to the North Cross Route (Ringway 1). Staples Corner itself has stubs for the M1 to continue south - bizarre in itself as Ringway 1 was already dead by the time construction on that section of M1 started.

<insert obligatory joke here>
PM article
CBRD article
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Steven wrote:<insert obligatory joke here>
Sheesh, does nobody make the obligatory joke any more? :wink:
DavidNW9

Re: The old M1 jct2

Post by DavidNW9 »

Had Flickr kept the search the date feature I'd have added this earlier

Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Steven wrote:Staples Corner itself has stubs for the M1 to continue south - bizarre in itself as Ringway 1 was already dead by the time construction on that section of M1 started.
They probably forgot to alter the Staples Corner plans after Ringway 1 was cancelled, so when the M1 was built, it was to the original spec.
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

More likely it wasn't worth the expense of doing any more design work at that stage.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Fahad wrote:More likely it wasn't worth the expense of doing any more design work at that stage.
I think more likely is that there was an assumption that further road construction would continue southwards in some format a future stage, irrespective of the cancellation of plans at the time; so it would seem reasonable to leave provision for that to occur..
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

Indeed or that! I just doubt that it was purely an accident that the stubs were left in
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I think I posted this before but if there's a competition for the worst roundabout stub in the world I'd offer this one in Cobham, the Sainsbury's roundabout apparently with the second car park idea being abandoned after the event.