What are they doing at Markeaton Island on the A38?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Graham

Re: What are they doing at Markeaton Island on the A38?

Post by Graham »

Helvellyn wrote:I remember as a kid lots of work going on on the A38 to the north of Markeaton, any idea why Markeaton Island didn't get sorted out at the same time? (was it ever even suggested?)
I was living in Allestree in the early 1980s, at the time the Allestree Link Road (now the A38) was being built. AFAIR, a flyover at the Markeaton roundabout was never on the cards.
marknotgeorge

Post by marknotgeorge »

Well, I'll drag this back from the depths of August, to report that after many delays, it looks like work is on the home straight. Today I noticed that workers from Siemens Traffic Management on the site, and on my way back home, saw that the lights had been switched on.
--
Mark, Derby, UK.
Doing sums for a living since 2009...
Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

And now they are consulting on the flyovers and underpasses.

Why the devil didn't they do this in the first place?

Is it me?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-de ... e-31024195
SC2

Post by SC2 »

Good news. Does anyone know how I can complete the consultation?
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

swarkestonecauseway wrote:Good news. Does anyone know how I can complete the consultation?
Starts Monday. Try looking then...
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Comstock wrote:And now they are consulting on the flyovers and underpasses.

They did, in 2003, according to the article you linked yourself. Except that then it was just flyovers.
Originally suggested in the 1970s, flyovers on the A38 were rejected because of their visual impact on nearby park land.

A public consultation in 2003 backed revised plans but funding was never secured.

Smaller scale improvements were carried out in 2014 but faced criticism for causing tailbacks, harming businesses and overrunning.

Now the Highways Agency wants public feedback on a new long-term strategy to create underpasses at Markeaton and Kingsway and a flyover at Little Eaton.
Exhibitions on Friday and Saturday according to the scheme page.
M19

Post by M19 »

wrinkly wrote:
Comstock wrote:And now they are consulting on the flyovers and underpasses.

They did, in 2003, according to the article you linked yourself. Except that then it was just flyovers.
Originally suggested in the 1970s, flyovers on the A38 were rejected because of their visual impact on nearby park land.

A public consultation in 2003 backed revised plans but funding was never secured.

Smaller scale improvements were carried out in 2014 but faced criticism for causing tailbacks, harming businesses and overrunning.

Now the Highways Agency wants public feedback on a new long-term strategy to create underpasses at Markeaton and Kingsway and a flyover at Little Eaton.
Exhibitions on Friday and Saturday according to the scheme page.
This question might be worth a thread of its own: Why does the Highways Agency hide details of the proposal that it is exhibiting? For a lot of schemes the closest you get to any plans is a fat blob on a map and er that's about it. Do you think it is trying not to show how the schemes nearly always fall far too short of the very grand sounding announcements?

"Were undertaking major a major £2m upgrade to this junction"...(whiuch actually means with a bit of paint - so that's £1,999,900 for the consultancy fees and £100 for Malcolm to come along at an obscure time and slap a bit of the white stuff on the tarmac)
M19
Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

wrinkly wrote: Exhibitions on Friday and Saturday according to the scheme page.
I might try and make this, especially as I'll be in the area on Saturday. If photos are allowed, I'll try and take some, but I'll need help uploading them to here.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Most of the exhibition materials will probably be put on the web eventually.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

wrinkly wrote:Most of the exhibition materials will probably be put on the web eventually.
Yes there wasn't anything not online other than some videos on big screens which apprantly are on the HAs YouTube channel.

It's not that it is a bad idea per se. It's just that we are constantly being told that the country is flat broke
SC2

Post by SC2 »

I'm not entirely convinced by their proposal for Kingsway, but it looks a fairly decent overall plan.
urbanfox

Post by urbanfox »

Went through here earlier tonight for the first time since it's been finished...

Must say I was very surprised to see the zebra crossing immediately as you enter/leave the roundabout on the Derby side of the A52 is still there!

Slightly further along, but there was a sign warning of 23 weeks of roadworks starting the 8th of March near Branston. Had a quick search and can't find any info - anyone on here know?
jackal

Post by jackal »

vlad

Post by vlad »

jackal wrote:Preferred route announcement:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... provements
Grade separation plus increase in speed limits? What's the catch? :)

I always wonder whether it's better to follow the A50 all the way to the M1 rather than turn off and go up the A38 through Derby - but if this goes through as advertised then I'll probably stop thinking that.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
jackal

Post by jackal »

In 2002, Option 1 for Kingsway was an asymmetrical freeflow design. As the public exhibition boards explain: "The design does not allow for the A38(Northbound) to the A5111 movement. This is because the low level of existing usage and the simple alternative route (via Uttoxeter Road) make the additional cost uneconomic". Total costs of the improvement were estimated at a mere £6m :shock:
A38 A5111 - Copy.PNG
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... boards.pdf
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

That's quite elegant.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

This appears to be our main current thread on the A38 junctions in Derby. I can find a couple of threads with "A38" and "Derby" in their names, but no posts in recent years.

A new consultation is being held:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cons ... 8-in-derby
Simon_GNR

Post by Simon_GNR »

The proposals look pretty good to me. It's a pity it's about six years before it'll be finished and in use. I've tended to avoid the A38 route from the North to the Birmingham area in recent years largely because of the congestion around Derby. When this scheme is completed it might be more attractive to use the A38 route instead of A42/M42, given how awful the M42 can be these days, but without a freeflow link from M1 s/b to A38 s/b there's still the problem of getting held up at junction 28.

Incidentally, I've never really encountered delays at the A38/A61 and A38/A5111 roundabouts, just at the A38/A52 Markeaton roundabout, which can be awful for queuing traffic.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Why is there yet another consultation? Just get on and build it :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.