Bewdley Bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Bewdley Bypass

Post by Truvelo »

Does anyone know if the roundabout at the western end of the Bewdley Bypass was built at the same time as the bypass or was it added afterwards?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
IAN

Re: Bewdley Bypass

Post by IAN »

I remember it being built, opened around 1988. All the roundabouts on the route were constructed at the same time as the bypass. Wharton park golf club was not built until later on, so there was no need for a roundabout at the western end. The line of the original road, in front of the white houses, can be clearly seen on GSV.

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I found this plan for the bypass showing a T junction instead of a roundabout.
Attachments
bewdley.jpg
Big and complex.
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

Truvelo I don't know if you ever found out the date of the bypass in the 3 years since the last post! Anyway I went for an 18-mile walk the other day and found a commemorative plaque suggesting it opened on 12 June 1987.
Photo
The plaque is located next to a footpath in Blackstone car park (see map in link).
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I've parked there as well and never even noticed the plaque.

I've also found plans showing a northern extension to Habberley Road.
Big and complex.
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

Truvelo wrote:
I've also found plans showing a northern extension to Habberley Road.
Now that would have been useful - even a very short continuation north from the roundabout. The current Habberley Rd / Kidderminster Rd junction is pretty congested despite the forced left turn from Habberley Rd up to the bypass. The B4190 / B4189 is a major northern avoidance of Kidderminster town centre in any case, so it would have made good sense to link it up to the bypass. Where would the extension have come out?
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

nick_dunn wrote:The B4190 / B4189 is a major northern avoidance of Kidderminster town centre in any case, so it would have made good sense to link it up to the bypass.
That's the reason it wasn't built. It would encourage traffic to use the B4190 instead of the A456. It was planned as part of the original bypass scheme so rather than being an extension, the bypass as built is a reduction of the original plan.
nick_dunn wrote:Where would the extension have come out?
The extension would have ran from the current roundabout due north to join the B4190 to the east of New Road.

I wonder if the forced left turn at the end of Habberley Road is to deter traffic from using it to gain access to Bewdley? It certainly has no effect on traffic bypassing Kidderminster to gain access to the A456.

Google Maps is showing some of the B4190 as A4190 although I suspect this is a mistake.
Big and complex.
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

Truvelo wrote:I wonder if the forced left turn at the end of Habberley Road is to deter traffic from using it to gain access to Bewdley?
Yes I think that is it exactly. Although people just simply U-turn at the roundabout and come back down into Bewdley anyway! It then only needs one vehicle to try and turn right into Habberley Rd to cause a queue all the way back to the roundabout thus congesting the A456 in both directions. In which case I'd suggest the northern extension you have described would be a great idea. I wonder if they have any stats on usage of the B4190 / B4189. Anyone heading towards the A449 and the Black Country must surely be using that route.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

nick_dunn wrote: In which case I'd suggest the northern extension you have described would be a great idea. I wonder if they have any stats on usage of the B4190 / B4189. Anyone heading towards the A449 and the Black Country must surely be using that route.
I do use that route but only rarely and that is to get back to the A456 near West Hagley....I've found its quicker to sit in traffic in kiddiminster for 10 minutes.
IAN

Post by IAN »

The no right turn restriction at the end of Habberley road was put in place due to several accidents at the junction, involving traffic turning right.

The extract below is from the 'Kidderminster Shuttle' (2003)- The restriction has not proved popular and interestingly there were calls for the bypass extension to be built.

"RESIDENTS in Bewdley want a new link road - not traffic calming measures - to beat traffic misery.

Opposition to a proposed £70,000 scheme to build traffic humps and a raised platform on Habberley Road was voiced at a packed Wribbenhall Community Centre meeting on Monday evening.

And most of the 300 people who have responded to a Worcestershire County Council questionnaire rejected the measures, which would also include extending the 30mph speed limit north up Habberley Road.

One resident said traffic made a "real noise" as it "crashed" over the existing raised zebra crossing in Kidderminster Road.

Now the scheme has been put on hold while the possibility of a link road, which would join the roundabout on the bypass to Habberley Road, is explored.

At the meeting residents overwhelmingly backed an extension to the bypass. But county council and Wyre Forest Highways Partnership representatives highlighted the cost of a link road.

Highways partnership manager Stuart Reynolds said: "The island isn't in the best possible position. To move it and provide the link road would cost £400,000 - £450,000."

Habberley Road resident and Wribbenhall county councillor Liz Davies, who chaired the meeting, gave a "personal guarantee" she would investigate alternative funding for the road.

She also pledged to try and find a solution to the controversial "no-right-turn" junction at Catchem's End - which forces town centre-bound traffic to the roundabout and back.

The county council wants to make the four-year-old arrangement, justified by senior project engineer Richard Attwood as far safer, permanent. But Kidderminster Road residents slammed the set-up as it increases traffic past their homes.

One woman said: "I've been knocked over on the zebra crossing three times and you're telling me it's a great solution!"

Another resident claimed human rights were being infringed and said thousands of pounds had been wiped off house prices.

A man who lives on the Queensway estate - where traffic calming measures are set to go ahead following backing from residents last year - blamed the "stupid junction" for motorists "rat running" through the estate.

Mr Attwood pointed out problems with putting a mini-roundabout or traffic lights at the junction - including the cost and the layout of the roads.

The county council is this week advertising a traffic regulation order for the Catchem's End junction to allow residents to formally comment."

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I didn't realise I had a copy of the northern extension. The roundabout seems to have been built to the west of its original intended location.
Attachments
Bewd1.jpg
Big and complex.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The original proposals in the 1950 was for an inner bypass. This would have destroyed some of the historic buildings in the town centre. Both plans would have bulldozed this row of houses and the buildings behind this van. The second plan would have eliminated this row of shops. It's fortunate these plans were rejected in favour of the southern bypass.

Big and complex.
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

Very interesting. Quite easy to see why both plans would be rejected locally - the charm of the town centre would have been torn up. Not to mention two of my favourite 'watering holes' may have been in jeopardy as well!

I wonder whether the extra bridge would have been built with the character of the old town or just some boring functional crossing.
fras

Post by fras »

I know I shouldn't, but every time I have come along the A456 going east after a day out touring, I've always tended to go through Bewdleay rather than use the by-pass. I know I shouldn't, and it all adds to congestion a little bit, but I do like to see our old country towns.
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

fras wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 18:09 I know I shouldn't, but every time I have come along the A456 going east after a day out touring, I've always tended to go through Bewdleay rather than use the by-pass. I know I shouldn't, and it all adds to congestion a little bit, but I do like to see our old country towns.
If I'm not pushed for time, I too like going through old country towns, instead of using their bypasses, where you don't see much. As nearly everyone else has gone on the bypasses, it doesn't seem to add to the congestion in my experience. Maybe the time of day makes a difference...
IAN

Post by IAN »

Truvelo wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 13:05 The original proposals in the 1950 was for an inner bypass. This would have destroyed some of the historic buildings in the town centre. Both plans would have bulldozed this row of houses and the buildings behind this van. The second plan would have eliminated this row of shops. It's fortunate these plans were rejected in favour of the southern bypass.

It's interesting that the bypass we have now is due to a reversal of the situation we often have these days where schemes are 'watered down' rather than improved. The second idea is pathetic with no new bridge but with a lot of the historic centre of the town demolished.
AKA M5 Driver