A6183

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

A6183

Post by Steven »

Just found this one whilst trawling through some documentation.

The uncompleted Kirkhamgate - Dishforth road (when downgraded from motorway) was allocated the number A6183, which according to the RD has never been allocated to a completed road.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

si404

Post by si404 »

was there not a A6xx road free? Rerouting the A61 would have been sensible, with the old road number A6183 (or A613 if that was free by then, which could also be used for the M1-A1 scheme)
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

OK, it would have been out of zone, but wouldn't an extension of the A168 made more sense, bear in mind that this would have been well before that was allocated to the local access road off the A1(M)?
MatthewB6323

Re: A6183

Post by MatthewB6323 »

Steven wrote: The uncompleted Kirkhamgate - Dishforth road (when downgraded from motorway) was allocated the number A6183, which according to the RD has never been allocated to a completed road.
I'm sure that I've seen A613 allocated to it as well, on the DoT's list of road numbers circulated here some years ago; either an error, or a decision made after the A613 Gateshead Western By-Pass became the A69.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

MatthewB6323 wrote:
Steven wrote: The uncompleted Kirkhamgate - Dishforth road (when downgraded from motorway) was allocated the number A6183, which according to the RD has never been allocated to a completed road.
I'm sure that I've seen A613 allocated to it as well, on the DoT's list of road numbers circulated here some years ago; either an error, or a decision made after the A613 Gateshead Western By-Pass became the A69.
Quite possibly - the documentation I'm talking about was the DoT's 1985 annual report, so it could well have changed after then.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Bob,

What's your thoughts on adding this number to the Digest? I can see both for and against arguments...
Steven
Motorway Historian

bob@romiley1

Post by bob@romiley1 »

Steven wrote:Bob,

What's your thoughts on adding this number to the Digest? I can see both for and against arguments...
Sorry I had taken no action. Probably because I have no idea of the exact route.
However I have now added the A6183 as a planned route.

Let me know re any developments & what notes(if any) you want.
Bob
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

bob@romiley1 wrote:Probably because I have no idea of the exact route.
Started on M1 at Kirkhamgate, south of the Lofthouse Interchange (M1/M62), heads kind of north west, through what passes for a gap between Leeds and Bradford and then a general NNE meandering until Dishforth.

Deleted in favour of a route from M1 to A1 that went east of Leeds, which eventually morphed into the M1 extension.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

A6183 would've been a bit of a pants number for such a big road though - surely that was only a 'working title' number, like A446(M)?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote:
bob@romiley1 wrote:Probably because I have no idea of the exact route.
Started on M1 at Kirkhamgate, south of the Lofthouse Interchange (M1/M62), heads kind of north west, through what passes for a gap between Leeds and Bradford and then a general NNE meandering until Dishforth.

Deleted in favour of a route from M1 to A1 that went east of Leeds, which eventually morphed into the M1 extension.
Is the A658 extension from Pannal to Goldsborough a remnant of that scheme, do you think?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Bryn666 wrote:A6183 would've been a bit of a pants number for such a big road though - surely that was only a 'working title' number, like A446(M)?
A446(M) lasted for a heck of a long time though - it was certainly assigned in the mid 1980s.
Steven
Motorway Historian

DeptForLameExcuses

Post by DeptForLameExcuses »

The Wiki page has caught up with this road.
http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... itle=A6183

In May 1975, the DoE consulted many people about this route - 35 years ago.

There were four routes:
The blue and purple routes both went westwards from Kirkhamgate along what is now the A650. However, they crossed the M62 west of the M621 junction - north of Birstall and that huge retail park, then would have skirted Drighlington to the west - where its bypass is now, then between Leeds and Bradford up to Leeds-Bradford Airport. Then it went past Bramhope and Arthington, to cross the A659 - a easy way to bypass Leeds.
At Weeton it split into both routes - the blue route followed what must have been the original route to the west of Harrogate. It followed the A61 north of Harrogate to Wormald Green then it went in a north-east direction past Newby Hall, joining the A1 at Dishforth itself.
The purple route from Weeton essentially followed what is now the A658 bypass - almost perfectly, then joined the A1 north of the A59 junction.
The A658 bypass is what you have left of the blue and purple routes.The Yorkshire and Humberside Road Users Group supported the blue route.

The brown route left the M62 at the A642, following this to the west of Garforth then broadly headed north across Bramham Park, joining the A1 at the A659 - what is now junction 45 south of Wetherby.
You may have seen this route on more recent maps such as Leeds A-Z maps in the 1990s.
Like the blue and purple routes, the red and brown did share common sections.
The red route - broadly what was chosen - left the former M1 where it does now at Stourton and followed the route that was chosen except that west of Garforth the red route shared the brown route directly over Bramham Park, joining the A1 south of Wetherby.
So no-one objected to the Leeds section, but someone owning Bramham Park wasn't taking it lying down.

So there you have it - what took until 1999 to build was mostly worked out by 1975. As it avoided going across Bramham Park, it's turned out to be a replacement for the A64 out of Leeds, or in the direction of the A64 instead.

In 1974 prices:
The blue route - the original no-holds-barred route - 42 miles long, £92m, use 325 acres (290 agricultural) and demolish 45 houses.
The purple route - almost the original but partly used for the A658 bypass - £96 million, 335 acres (300 agricultural), and demolish 60 houses.

Now the less ambitious east Leeds routes -
The brown route (A642) - 36 miles long, £93m, 360 acres (290 agricultural), and demolish 125 houses.
The red route - the first half was chosen - 36 miles long, £90m, take 360 acres (290 agricultural), and demolish 125 houses.

The chosen route was chosen in July 1977 by Bill Rodgers. It prevented an open cast mine at Gamblethorpe from being built.

The chap from the Yorks & Humber Road Group said 'there is an undoubted need for a three-lane motorway through Yorkshire to the North.'
The he said 'We are pleased the department has rejected the improvement of the A1 from Ferrybridge to Dishforth.
Well, he got half of his Kirkhamgate-Dishforth road, and the rest was made by improving the A1, but 15 years after he expected it,
and 20 years for the full route, or even 25 if you include the Bramham-Wetherby section, although that was the first bit to be built of the original plan.

In 1972, the whole road was planned for completion between 1978-80.
Give your heart and life gives you a receipt.

From the SABRE Wiki: A6183 :

The number A6183 was reserved on 20 June 2007 for the section of the A43 from the Kettering northern bypass to Stanion, which would be bypassed by the Corby Link Road. In the event, most of the road was numbered as an extension of the A4300; however a small section of the Kettering bypass was allocated this number.

The short A6183, therefore, starts at a roundabout where the A43

... Read More