Warburton Toll Bridge

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Squadgy

Warburton Toll Bridge

Post by Squadgy »

I occasionally use the toll bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal on the B5159 at Warburton, and duly pay my toll each time. However I was told by a local in a pub in nearby Lymm last night that the toll is in fact not payable for crossing the bridge over the canal, but in fact for using the bridge which crosses the old course of the river (Mersey??).

You can see the old river course on this aerial photo/map:

Map

Any truth in this ??- the smaller bridge is so small and insignificant as not to be really noticeable as you pass it.

If there is truth in it then maybe this gem is of use to some of the road trivia buffs out there !!

Steve
Ste
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

Yes, the toll is in fact paid for crossing the former course of the River Mersey, and not the High Level Bridge
Richard Walker

Post by Richard Walker »

Yes, indeed. I've often travelled over that bridge when going to Leigh from Leek. It was always better than going over Thellwall during all the works.
I will not sing the chain-gang song, I will not walk the line.
Paul

Post by Paul »

But the smaller bridge doesn't go over anything, unless a dried-up former course of a river counts as something!

I admit it's pretty difficult to tell on the map/aerial photo at the scale, but it can'be very big.
Squadgy

Post by Squadgy »

I admit it's pretty difficult to tell on the map/aerial photo at the scale, but it can'be very big.
No it's very small indeed, just long enough to go over the old river course. I guess there was no need for ships to pass under it either, so it's pretty much level with the road too.
Ste
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Paul wrote:But the smaller bridge doesn't go over anything, unless a dried-up former course of a river counts as something!
Yes, but the Ship Canal Company will have built the high level bridge when the canal was built, whereas the bridge (and previous bridges on that site) will go back centuries.
ParaffinPower

Post by ParaffinPower »

I believe the small bridge was originally funded by the good folk of Lymm village, and this was their efforts to get the money back.