Local Road Projects

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

multiraider2

Re: Local Road Projects

Post by multiraider2 »

Blackhorse Lane, Addiscombe is unclassified but quite well used as it is the only link (save for the ends) between the A222 and B143. A weak bridge over the now tram tracks has lead to its closure As seen here. Croydon Council's solution was to put a "We are going to start work on this in January 2018" notice on the closure (some 18 months afterwards) and ban parking on one side of the A215 Spring Lane to try to help flow there.

If you are going to be in the area, particularly at the conclusion of games at Selhurst Park, expect long delays on the A215 Portland Road towards Addiscombe. I'll report again when the route is re-opened.

In other local news, there is now a 20mph limit on all unclassified roads in the Central and East part of the London Borough of Croydon. A lot of this was developed as Edwardian or 1930s terraced houses with no garages and there is a lot of street parking. Accordingly, for the most part it is fair enough. However, without enforcement, you will not stop the usual suspects doing 50 along some of the roads. It's also a shame that they put in the 20 repeaters before the reduction went live and they had unbagged the start of limit signs.
Bagged 20 limit.jpg
20 repeater.jpg
J6onM27

Post by J6onM27 »

http://nrpcc.com/sundays-hill-bypass-starts-on-site/
Sundays Hill Bypass (Heath House Lane link), Hedge End (developer funded)
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

As of last week, work on-site has now started at Salterhebble Hill. When I went by on Friday they were clearing vegetation by the side of the road, and the northbound side was down to one lane.

The only down side is that congestion in both directions was already heavy by 1.30 pm; the Calder and Hebble was jammed solid, with a lengthy tailback onto the bypass, and the jams now last all day instead of just around peak times. If you're planning to travel into Halifax during the week, make sure you pack some sandwiches.

Still, it'll be worth it when it's finished.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Good - the whole of that south-west bypass should've been dualled in the first place. The way it widens to two lanes for the traffic light before squeezing down to two briefly before the next set, where it widens to two before narrowing again, just asks for trouble.

Many cars don't waste their time with the second lane, but there are always some who use it to move up the queue, and often have to force their way back in!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Tom H

Post by Tom H »

The almost perpetual roadworks on the A66 between Keswick and Cockermouth have finally came to an end recently. This time they've raised the road a couple of feet in places with the hopes it might not flood again. Also some strengthening of the banking on the old twisty bit of dual carriageway beside Bassenthwaite Lake.

Drove along it on Saturday, it's great to have that overtaking opportunity back :D

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Long- ... bcb7c85-ds
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Owain wrote:
Good - the whole of that south-west bypass should've been dualled in the first place. The way it widens to two lanes for the traffic light before squeezing down to two briefly before the next set, where it widens to two before narrowing again, just asks for trouble.

Many cars don't waste their time with the second lane, but there are always some who use it to move up the queue, and often have to force their way back in!
Hopefully they can sort out this left turn heading south as well, it's so short that people wanting to turn left towards the Quays ends up queuing onto the straight on lane.

I'm surprised they haven't considered dualling Castle Meads Way either as that can often be backed up all the way to the A417 on a bad day.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Beardy5632 wrote:
I'm surprised they haven't considered dualling Castle Meads Way either as that can often be backed up all the way to the A417 on a bad day.
The whole thing should be dualled, from the A417 down to the A38. And with a speed limit not lower than 40 throughout. Some of the 30s are unbelievable!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

A quick video from yesterday, the new hamburger lane on the Elmbridge Court Roundabout is finally open.

GC_A690

Post by GC_A690 »

Works on the Heworth Roundabout. The beginning of the lane closure on the A184 westbound between White Mare Pool and the A195 exit resulted in an hour of queues this morning - and it looks like the whole area's going to come to a standstill for the next six months. Not to upgrade the roundabout (which it desperately needs) but just to make the existing bridge supports safe. Oh, and as a big bonus they're going to "remove the central roundabout at this crossing. This is because it is already light controlled and therefore no longer required." Joy.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Press release on DfT site today.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... ocal-roads
A £345.3 million funding package to improve local roads and public transport across the country has been announced today (19 October 2017) by Transport Secretary Chris Grayling.

76 projects from across the country have been awarded funding totalling £244 million to bring key benefits to local road users - such as improving access to public transport sites, opening up more roads for cyclists, addressing key local traffic ‘pinch points’ and supporting the development of new housing. An additional £101.3 million will pay for 2 new major roads in Middlewich, Cheshire, and Worcester in the Midlands.
See link above for details.

Is this related to the money that the Chancellor mentioned during the Tory party conference?

There's also this statement to parliament, which also mentions the rescheduling of trunk road schemes that I've mentioned in another thread.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ajors-fund
IAN

Post by IAN »

Good to see £54m allocated to dual the Carrington bridge on the Worcester Southern Link Road - Work due to start in 2019.

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
lefthandedspanner

lefthandedspanner wrote:As of last week, work on-site has now started at Salterhebble Hill. When I went by on Friday they were clearing vegetation by the side of the road, and the northbound side was down to one lane.

The only down side is that congestion in both directions was already heavy by 1.30 pm; the Calder and Hebble was jammed solid, with a lengthy tailback onto the bypass, and the jams now last all day instead of just around peak times. If you're planning to travel into Halifax during the week, make sure you pack some sandwiches.

Still, it'll be worth it when it's finished.
Three months later, this scheme is fairly cracking on. A large amount of earth has been cleared next to Salterhebble Hill itself in preparation for the widening, and during the last week, the side of the hill has sprouted a large number of what look like the anchors for a retaining wall.

Weather permitting, I'll see if can get some photos over the weekend.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I imagine this is a deliberate coincidence rather than an a accidental one:

London Gazette today, A5025 improvements from Valley to Wylfa:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2928401

The Guardian today, new nuclear power station at Wylfa:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... a-anglesey

Edit: indeed it is deliberate:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-w ... ed-9587820
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

A592 closure, East Bank of Windermere, Jan-Easter 2018

Is this the right thread for this? Not quite a road 'project' as it's utilities work, but interesting perhaps for the duration of closure and distance of signed diversion. The A592 is closed for a stretch south of the B5360 from 2nd Jan until Easter, effectively shutting it as a through route from there to the A590 at Newby Bridge. The signed diversion is via the A590/A591, at just over 30 miles and 45 minutes. It's much shorter to use the A5074 or the Windermere Ferry but neither are actually much quicker than the signed route!
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

At least it's being done out of season. Although when I visited in November I couldn't believe the coachloads of Japanese/Chinese and Russian tourists that were there. Also wonder why the road has to be shut when the rest of the work has been done under lights?

When I drove through the 10mph limit was accompanied by massive speed camera signs...no evidence of any actual enforcement.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
lefthandedspanner

darkcape wrote:At least it's being done out of season. Although when I visited in November I couldn't believe the coachloads of Japanese/Chinese and Russian tourists that were there. Also wonder why the road has to be shut when the rest of the work has been done under lights?

When I drove through the 10mph limit was accompanied by massive speed camera signs...no evidence of any actual enforcement.
I've never seen in a single fixed camera in a 20 zone - is there any kind of speed camera that works reliably for speeds under 30 mph?
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Stoke council have been awarded money to fund the £2 million to re-align and improve the Cobridge lights (A53/A50) junction.

Designs are being drawn up ready to show off in Spring.

The junction was last improved about four years ago and was improved 10 years ago as well so hopefully this will be a better solution.

My concern is the length of how long works last so hopefully they can get them done quickly.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

lefthandedspanner wrote:I've never seen in a single fixed camera in a 20 zone - is there any kind of speed camera that works reliably for speeds under 30 mph?
There are a few of them around, but not many: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34521
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Sue Hayman, the Workington MP, has brought up a local favourite of a relief road for south Workington. Being stuck at yet more temporary traffic lights and being stuck behind a bus for 2 miles yesterday, the A597 struggles to cope and is nearly as busy as the A596, and seems to have roadworks and TTLs nearly every week.