A1 Elkesley scheme back on

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: A1 Elkesley scheme back on

Post by wrinkly »

Changes coming up on the southbound at least:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2795048
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

This is a very slow and cautious revocation of a speed limit, isn't it! So the southbound side will revert to NSL, as far as the point where the 50 was always due to resume halfway past Elkesley, while the slips to and from the local junction on the southbound side will get a new 40 limit. I can live with that.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Chris5156 wrote:This is a very slow and cautious revocation of a speed limit, isn't it! So the southbound side will revert to NSL, as far as the point where the 50 was always due to resume halfway past Elkesley, while the slips to and from the local junction on the southbound side will get a new 40 limit. I can live with that.
Why isn't northbound getting it as well?? I don't understand it.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Berk wrote:
Chris5156 wrote:This is a very slow and cautious revocation of a speed limit, isn't it! So the southbound side will revert to NSL, as far as the point where the 50 was always due to resume halfway past Elkesley, while the slips to and from the local junction on the southbound side will get a new 40 limit. I can live with that.
Helpfully, someone hit the crash barrier northbound the other week, slightly further south from where the streetlamp was taken out. The barrier has been replaced.

So either they're looking at that, or the orders have already been made but they're waiting until both carriageways have the orders made before doing the work....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Confusion last night as I drove northwards on this road, temporary signs stating 50mph along the roadworks but brand new "unlimited/national" speed limit signs being put up in the central reservation not covered up!
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

I passed through in both directions on Saturday and Sunday, heading northbound there are NSL signs just before the new junction, but then a mixture of NSL and 50 repeaters after that. Heading southbound, there's still 50 signs at the previous start of the limit, followed by a mixture of 50 and NSL signs, and you can see two new illuminated posts/brackets have been erected where the new start of the 50 limit will be.

It's a step in the right direction, but whoever is running the job is having a bit of a mare...
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I drove through on Thursday evening. The road was down to one lane southbound for works, presumably signage - so it shouldn't be long now...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

I passed through earlier this week in both directions, heading northbound the NSL signs have been sprayed out so the 50 limit is the same as it was before. Heading southbound, the 50 limit starts at the end of the on slip from the new junction so that is now sorted. Hopefully over the next few days they will sort out the northbound signage and it'll be all done.
Last edited by TheKeymeister on Sun Jun 25, 2017 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Simon_GNR

Post by Simon_GNR »

TheKeymeister wrote:I passed through earlier this week in both directions, heading northbound the NSL signs have been sprayed out so the 40 limit is the same as it was before. Heading southbound, the 40 limit starts at the end of the on slip from the new junction so that is now sorted. Hopefully over the next few days they will sort out the northbound signage and it'll be all done.
The speed limit in both directions is 50 mph, not 40.
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

Whoops, typo, edited :)
Berk

Post by Berk »

c2R wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 21:52
Berk wrote:
Helpfully, someone hit the crash barrier northbound the other week, slightly further south from where the streetlamp was taken out. The barrier has been replaced.

So either they're looking at that, or the orders have already been made but they're waiting until both carriageways have the orders made before doing the work....
Does anyone have a more up-to-date answer to this??

Google has now been updated - both for north- and southbound. The southbound limit seems reasonable in the circumstances, but the northbound is still far too long.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I drove this way about a week ago, and the speed limits are still different in the n/b and s/b directions; I've not heard anything.
James

Post by James »

It is very strange. Seems the terminal signs got put up northbound, but the order to raise the limit wasn't made

Here is the location (one post empty and the other with a covered NSL)
https://goo.gl/maps/mMTa1payw7Q2

I dont see any reason why NB can't be raised now the junction works are complete
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

So, because I seem to be spending half my life on the A1 lately, I finally got round to asking Highways England why the Northbound speed limit is still 50, here's the answer I got...
Thank you for your enquiry dated 29 May regarding the speed limits on the A1. We apologise for any problems that this might have presented you with.

A1 Elkesley Improvements scheme – Speed Limits.

As you may be aware the A1 southbound carriageway speed limit through the improvement scheme limits was raised from 50mph to national speed limit during the scheme.

The intention was to do the same on the northbound carriageway, however to do this Highways England were looking to purchase a property (located on the northbound carriageway) with the intention to close the property access due to its substandard forward visibility onto the A1 (if a national speed limit is applied). With the access closed we could resolve the safety risk and then raise the speed limit on the northbound to 70mph through the improvement scheme limits. Unfortunately, we weren’t able do so.

Highways England may now be looking at alternative safety measures, as the current 50mph speed limit will have to remain.

The A1 section between Elkesley and Twyford Bridge (south of Elkesley)

This will remain 50mph speed limit through the Twyford Bridge junction, both northbound and southbound, until this is improved to current standards. At the moment there’s no scheme in the Highways England forward programme for the improvement of the Twyford Bridge section of the A1.

I trust this answers your enquiry, but if you want to discuss further please do not hesitate to contact us and we’ll do our best to assist you.
My original thought was that the access they were referring to was the shut down Chinese restaurant, but I now think its probably the property access just before the current NSL sign, I believe it serves a house which is currently up for sale.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Perhaps we can all club together, buy the thing and sell it on to HE?? :wink:
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

Is it this one they're referring to: Google link?

Assuming the house also owns the fields around it I wonder if HE could pay for a new access to be added to the east coming out on the B6387? Looks like it would need a bridge over the River Poulter but can't be take expensive in the grand scheme of things and would be a nicer way in and out for the owners surely?
TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

Achmelvic wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 17:20 Is it this one they're referring to: Google link?

Assuming the house also owns the fields around it I wonder if HE could pay for a new access to be added to the east coming out on the B6387? Looks like it would need a bridge over the River Poulter but can't be take expensive in the grand scheme of things and would be a nicer way in and out for the owners surely?
I believe this to be the property they're referring to

Worksop Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/xD41ioQFfpaQWDaG7

The one you linked to is in the 'yet to be improved' section of A1 so stuck at 50mph regardless of property access
Yorkshirelad

Post by Yorkshirelad »

It beggars belief that HE spent so much on the Jockey Lane remodelling then have left almost the same situation with regard to 50mph limit on the A1.

I know they are waiting for the Vertical Park development to be sold to remodel the B6387 junction but surely there must be some way of financing this to do it now and clawing it back later from the developers. Otherwise it's been a total waste of time and money.

https://cushwakeproperty.co.uk/our-prop ... m00/151651
Simon_GNR

Post by Simon_GNR »

HE don't explain in their reply why there were unable to acquire the property on the n/b carriageway. Perhaps the price wasn't right? Would compulsory purchase not be possible in this case? I can see from the picture on GSV that that is a dangerous property access which precludes 70 mph NSL, but surely some solution can be found?
Berk

Post by Berk »

Looking at that house on Google, I really doubt it would be given planning permission today. Maybe it was less of an issue in the 1950s (looks like it’s that sort of age).

Other similar houses have been knocked down (like Mr Noel Sims of Colsterworth).