M25 Roadworks - Maple Cross area

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Noticed some works off the side of the M25 near Maple Cross (between J16 and J17) earlier this week. Sign boards indicate that the works will take approx 18 months. At the moment, there's a 50 limit northbound, but no special limit southbound and it only goes on for about a mile at most.

Anyone local know what is being done?
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
frediculous_biggs
President

Re: M25 Roadworks - Maple Cross area

Post by frediculous_biggs »

Roadworks.org suggests it is this. They have it for 1 month for HS2 enabling works (is that starting already?!)
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Glom

Post by Glom »

How exciting! It must about the only section of HS2 that's above ground.
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

At this stage, it's probably geological and ecology related surveys rather than anything physical - there's a series of pylons nearby that may need moving as part of the HS2/M25 crossing, could also be related.
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

Just had a nosy at the HS2 parliamentary plans - there's two bits of work that look suspiciously like temporary slip roads to a large site area just to the east of the M25 - My educated guess is that the current 1 month works are the geotechnical investigations for these temporary slip roads, with the 18 month works period to build them and an associated temporary bridge. The slips being used as direct access to the eastern end of the tunnel that extends 13.5km to the northwest of the tunnel portal just east of the M25

Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Haydn1971 wrote:Just had a nosy at the HS2 parliamentary plans - there's two bits of work that look suspiciously like temporary slip roads to a large site area just to the east of the M25 - My educated guess is that the current 1 month works are the geotechnical investigations for these temporary slip roads, with the 18 month works period to build them and an associated temporary bridge. The slips being used as direct access to the eastern end of the tunnel that extends 13.5km to the northwest of the tunnel portal just east of the M25
That's my understanding as well.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I drove past today, there's definitely a temporary sliproad being constructed.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps