1966 OS Route Planning Map - South

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

1966 OS Route Planning Map - South

Post by Steven »

The latest addition in the "Ten Mile Road Map" series, and until 1 January 2018 the newest edition that is out-of-copyright is now available on SABRE Maps; joining its northern sheet counterpart.

The Ten Mile Map/Ordnance Survey Route Planning Map series shows the whole of Great Britain in two sheets. What they lack in clarity they make up for in having a good view of major changes within the period, especially as they were published on an at least annual basis.

Compare it, for example, to the 1964 and 1965 editions that we also have online - and see the motorway network starting to grow!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Ordnance Survey Route Planning Map :

The Ordnance Survey Route Planning Map series were the follow-up series to the Ten-Mile Road Map of Great Britain. Compared with the earlier maps they were generally less detailed, with fewer B-roads being shown, and very little detail in urban areas.

They covered Great Britain in two sheets, with Sheet 1 covering Scotland, and England south to roughly a line joining Ravenglass on the Cumberland coast with Ravenscar on the Yorkshire side. Some urban areas (depending on the

... Read More
wrinkly

Re: 1966 OS Route Planning Map - South

Post by wrinkly »

Note that a bit of the A580 north of the then-M62, now-M60 goes from dual carriageway in 1964 to single carriageway in 1965 and 1966. I suspect this may reflect the works to lower the A580 by 50 ft in preparation for taking the M60/M62 over it. Traffic was diverted along a temporary diversion including what are now the southernmost bits of slip road in the Worsley braided interchange.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

wrinkly wrote:Note that a bit of the A580 north of the then-M62, now-M60 goes from dual carriageway in 1964 to single carriageway in 1965 and 1966. I suspect this may reflect the works to lower the A580 by 50 ft in preparation for taking the M60/M62 over it. Traffic was diverted along a temporary diversion including what are now the southernmost bits of slip road in the Worsley braided interchange.
I had always wondered how this junction was built as the earthworks are colossal. That said, in the 1950s the A580 east of the now M60 was S4 when first built I believe? The connection from the A6 at Irlams down to the Crescent was built in the 1970s.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Bryn666 wrote:
wrinkly wrote:Note that a bit of the A580 north of the then-M62, now-M60 goes from dual carriageway in 1964 to single carriageway in 1965 and 1966. I suspect this may reflect the works to lower the A580 by 50 ft in preparation for taking the M60/M62 over it. Traffic was diverted along a temporary diversion including what are now the southernmost bits of slip road in the Worsley braided interchange.
I had always wondered how this junction was built as the earthworks are colossal. That said, in the 1950s the A580 east of the now M60 was S4 when first built I believe? The connection from the A6 at Irlams down to the Crescent was built in the 1970s.
A previous discussion of the historical standard of the A580 is on page 3 of this thread, interspersed with other subjects.

I lived near the Salford end of the A580 until we moved to Cheadle in 1960 when I was 11. All my early memories of it are as S4 (plus footpaths plus cycle tracks) though they are not very detailed as I didn't become interested in roads until 1963. My recollection is that dualling was completed around 1965, and this seems to be confirmed by the Route Planning and 0.25" maps on SABRE Maps. Some sections towards the Liverpool end were dual earlier but I don't know exactly when and have no childhood memories of them.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

There's an interesting little mapping error on the M2 in Kent as well!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote:There's an interesting little mapping error on the M2 in Kent as well!
Are you thinking of the spur "under construction" from J4? It exists now, but as the A278 which is *not* a motorway.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

I notice that some road numbers are in black, whereas most are in red. Are the black ones the trunk roads?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote:I notice that some road numbers are in black, whereas most are in red. Are the black ones the trunk roads?
That's my understanding of it. That particular niggle aside, as a mapping style I do think it's great. Especially by 1960s standards.
Bryn

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Yes, I remember seeing black number = trunk on the key to an RPM of around that date. I have a 1968 one somewhere and it may be on that.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

A quick look around Mid Wales confirms that hypothesis.
Built for comfort, not speed.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

1965_Route_Planning_Map_Key.PNG
Steven
Motorway Historian

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I think it's the use of Gill Sans as well... laaaaaahvley.
Bryn

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Love the reference to "tarred" roads, rather than "metalled".

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Chris Bertram wrote:Love the reference to "tarred" roads, rather than "metalled".
Surely that's because in the context of a road, "metalled" merely means covered with crushed stone, without necessarily having a binder.
"Tarred" and "untarred" also occurred in the key to 1" maps, and in the key of the 1976 1:50k Second Series (not yet called Landranger) map I'm looking at.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

Chris Bertram wrote:
Steven wrote:There's an interesting little mapping error on the M2 in Kent as well!
Are you thinking of the spur "under construction" from J4? It exists now, but as the A278 which is *not* a motorway.
It is interesting to note that the spur under construction is shown as motorway. Whilst it is correct that the spur opened a year or two after the M2 (I have photographs on my computer at home to confirm it), obviously it did not end up opening as a motorway as it has roundabouts at several intermediate points. Could the orginal intention have been to open it as motorway back to the A2 with no intermediate at-grade junctions and the plans got changed after the map went to press?

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I would have thought a mapping error was more likely, but it would be possible to look in the London Gazette for the notices of publication and making of the schemes and orders.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

M2 Junction 4 without Link Road:
M2 Photo on Onedrive
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002