M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Patrick Harper

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Post by Patrick Harper »

It seems there is already ample space for a D4M under the Trottiscliffe Road and Roughetts Road bridges, in theory they would only have to demolish two more bridges and build three new ones, and then one could have a D4M from J3 to J4. That'll never happen, of course.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Paianni wrote:It seems there is already ample space for a D4M under the Trottiscliffe Road and Roughetts Road bridges, in theory they would only have to demolish two more bridges and build three new ones, and then one could have a D4M from J3 to J4. That'll never happen, of course.
No need to demolish anything - "Smart Motorways" providing D4 in a D3M footprint are the future apparently and its likely that this will be required at some stage given traffic levels on this section of the M20.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Phil wrote:
Paianni wrote:It seems there is already ample space for a D4M under the Trottiscliffe Road and Roughetts Road bridges, in theory they would only have to demolish two more bridges and build three new ones, and then one could have a D4M from J3 to J4. That'll never happen, of course.
No need to demolish anything - "Smart Motorways" providing D4 in a D3M footprint are the future apparently and its likely that this will be required at some stage given traffic levels on this section of the M20.
They may have to demolish Bull Road Bridge, doesn't look like there's enough space even for a D4 there.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Paianni wrote:
Phil wrote:
They may have to demolish Bull Road Bridge, doesn't look like there's enough space even for a D4 there.
I guess they would try and have it work with a dodgy lane gain/drop, but it would be tight.

What might be an issue is bridges being too low over the hard shoulder.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Darren

Post by Darren »

Five months of works on the way to replace it.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/n ... ay-132028/
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Does it really take 5 months when the bulk of the work is already there? The foundations are being reused for example.

It's like we just enjoy having cones out for as long as possible sometimes.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

The last new footbridge I built took three months and were offline new build. I've got one footbridge to build next year which will take five months as part of an on-line upgrade.

There's probably quite a bit if work making good the existing structure to receive the new sections. Because of its location I imagine the bulk of work will be done at night as you only have the hard shoulder as access in the day - tricky to get plant and equipment in to do stuff.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

What I don't understand and perhaps someone here can explain is why these works can't be done concurrently with the Smart Motorway works instead of immediately preceding? In my eyes this is done to make it easier for the engineers and never mind the road users - but I would be only to happy to be corrected.

Thanks,
Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

e17simon

Post by e17simon »

Hi there,

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this but this is the 2nd time this kind of thing has happened in Kent.

Sometime in the 80s the footbridge over the A2 at Cobham was also struck and dislodged.

Cheers

Simon
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

I believe the bridge over the track just before the hairpin at Brands Hatch had to be removed after it was struck by a lorry too.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

e17simon wrote:Hi there,

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this but this is the 2nd time this kind of thing has happened in Kent.

Sometime in the 80s the footbridge over the A2 at Cobham was also struck and dislodged.

Cheers

Simon
It was April 1985 according to this article. A overbridge on the M20 Ditton Bypass also collapsed during construction in 1971, killing 1 and injuring 15.

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
Berk

Post by Berk »

I think it’s outrageous that he even dared to plead not guilty to start with... :x
drpsg

Post by drpsg »

and the name of the defending lawyer, according to http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/l ... as__fine_/

Ian Bridge.
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

I wonder if he greeted him with "You're shorter than I imagined"
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Berk wrote:
I think it’s outrageous that he even dared to plead not guilty to start with... :x
Pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" is part of a game used by barristers. I suspect that by pleading "not guilty", his barrister had an opportunity to talk to his opposite number (and maybe the judge) to negotiate a lesser sentence if he changed his plea. Had he pleaded "guilty" in the first place, his barrister might not have had this opportunity.

This is speculation on my part, based on what I saw as a juror in an attempted rape case some 25 years ago. The guy was as guilty as sin, having been interrupted just before penetration took place. However the case ran its course, no credible defence was offered (though there might have been a weak defence for the first of the three charges) and after he had been found guilty, but before sentencing, counsel for the defence gave a long sob story - his client had previous good character, his mother had recently died etc etc. Counsel's job was to get the best deal possible for his client which in this case meant minimising his client's time in jail, so he was careful not to **** the judge off with any frivillous defence. The offender got 7 years.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Vierwielen wrote:
Berk wrote:
Pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" is part of a game used by barristers. I suspect that by pleading "not guilty", his barrister had an opportunity to talk to his opposite number (and maybe the judge) to negotiate a lesser sentence if he changed his plea. Had he pleaded "guilty" in the first place, his barrister might not have had this opportunity.
Plead guilty 'at the first opportunity' (ie start of trial) and there's an automatic discount of the sentence. There's no need for the full trial and they skip straight to the sentencing hearing where the defence can put forward their mitigation at that point. Going not guilty would also increase costs awarded, both the defence's own and the prosecution costs awarded upon conviction.