Roads meeting other classified roads with the same number

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Roads meeting other classified roads with the same number

Post by c2R »

While C road hunting, I've been adding appropriate categories, such as where a road starts and ends on the same road. I've created a new category as there is an interesting phenomenon where a road can meet another classfied road with the same designation but different classification; e.g. the C142 (Cambridgeshire) meets the A142. Clearly, we've got a number of motorways that do this, and some A/B roads - e.g. A1101, B1101

Are there any others that I've missed in this category:

Category:Roads which meet another road of the same number but different classification
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: C142 (Cambridgeshire) :

The C142 maintained by Cambridgeshire Council is a fenland drove road in Cambridgeshire linking the villages of Soham and Isleham.

It is described in the freedom of information request as being:
C142 EAST FEN COMMON SOHAM
C142 BROOK DAM LANE SOHAM
C142 PADDOCK STREET (C142) SOHAM
C142 EAST FEN DROVE SOHAM
C142 COMMON GATE DROVE (C142) ISLEHAM
C142 KNAVES ACRE DROVE ISLEHAM
C142 EAST FEN DROVE ISLEHAM
C142 DELBRIG DROVE ISLEHAM

... Read More
Osthagen

Re: Roads meeting other classified roads with the same number

Post by Osthagen »

Are you planning to include roads in Northern Ireland on that list, or is this just for Great Britain?

If so, then you've got M1/A1 and M2/A2.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Definitely for Ireland too; I'd just not got that far yet...!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

The M74 meets the A74(M) shurely!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I sort of thought we'd exclude Ax(M), as most Ax(M)s meet their Ax....
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Might as well exclude the other motorways then.

M1 meets the A1
M2 meets the A2
M4 meets the A4
M6 meets the A6
M8 meets the A8 (for now)
M9 meets the A9
M11 meets the A11
M18 parallels the A18 (but don't think they meet)
M20 meets the A20
M23 meets the A23
M27 meets the A27
M40 meets the A40
M42 meets the A42
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

ForestChav wrote:Might as well exclude the other motorways then.

M1 meets the A1
M2 meets the A2
M4 meets the A4
M6 meets the A6
M9 meets the A9
M11 meets the A11
M20 meets the A20
M23 meets the A23
M27 meets the A27
M40 meets the A40
M42 meets the A42

Ah, but the other motorways aren't part of the same route, whereas Ax(M)s are... M18 and A18 don't meet, although they do cross. I've already done the GB motorways (see category link on the first post)
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

c2R wrote:
ForestChav wrote:Might as well exclude the other motorways then.

M1 meets the A1
M2 meets the A2
M4 meets the A4
M6 meets the A6
M9 meets the A9
M11 meets the A11
M20 meets the A20
M23 meets the A23
M27 meets the A27
M40 meets the A40
M42 meets the A42

Ah, but the other motorways aren't part of the same route, whereas Ax(M)s are... M18 and A18 don't meet, although they do cross. I've already done the GB motorways (see category link on the first post)
I guess some of them are to be honest.

The Scottish ones are effectively Ax(M)s in that they replace the A-road whose corridor they take, so this point will always apply to them.

The A1 meets the M1 at the London end (you could almost say that into the City is the logical destination, making the section to Staples Corner despite being the mainline a spur) and then runs into it at the Leeds end.
The M2 is effectively a bypass of the A2 through Rochester, etc etc to Faversham, though you have to exit the mainline to head to Dover
The A4 runs into the M4 leaving London, the when the A4 ends at Avonmouth, the M4 crosses the Severn only a few miles North
North of Preston, the A6 and M6 are along the same corridor
Likewise the others mentioned - including the M18 and A18 in there - though the M40 heads North after the A40 diverges from it at Oxford.
It's a bodge, but the A42 shares the route of the M42 from the M6 to the M1.

Pretty much all of our motorways are built in an existing corridor, to relieve an A road though not all of them are the same number, and some of them aren't wholly obvious.
The M1 is pretty much a replacement of the A5 (as far as Kilsby) and A6 to Derby then A61 to Leeds.
M5 and A38 is obvious, as is M40 (north of Oxford) with A34 and A41.
M4 in South Wales with the A48
I suppose the M50 takes traffic which would have used the A40 off the corridor for the M5 north
M62 (A57, then A58/A62, then A63)
M61 parallels the A6
M3 (A30, A33)
M42 (Northern section) A453
M69 (A46)
M6 (Southern section) A45 / A47, then A50, then A49

I guess replacing those would leave stubs of A-roads all over (some of them do!) which is why we haven't used the Scottish system more...

Ax(M)s will usually run end-on since there are few examples where an Ax(M) exists and the A-road isn't renumbered: aside from obvious spurs and the silliness which is the A601(M), the main one is the A3 and A3(M) where the motorway is blatantly a bypass of the A-road section, but the latter still isn't renumbered. I guess you could say it's a spur to the A27, as the main line then continues into Portsmouth, but the obvious way in is M275.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cian

Post by Cian »

c2R wrote:Definitely for Ireland too; I'd just not got that far yet...!
Only possible for NI due to the numbering system in ROI - all N/R numbers are nationally unique and L numbers locally unique. That is assuming a council hasn't completely ballsed up on the Ls.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Cian wrote:
c2R wrote:Definitely for Ireland too; I'd just not got that far yet...!
Only possible for NI due to the numbering system in ROI - all N/R numbers are nationally unique and L numbers locally unique. That is assuming a council hasn't completely ballsed up on the Ls.
Yes, I think we'd be looking for something really anomolous in RoI for this to happen... but NI is very possible, particularly given the short B road numbers
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Yes, there are a few. B76 meeting A76 is a cheat, because the A76 used to be the B76, but there are several which meet by design, such as the A24 and former B24 (now A49), A25 and B25, A45 and B45, and probably others.

The M2 meets the A2, the M1 meets the A1, and the A1 meets the N1.
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

A803 meets B803 in Falkirk.
A700 (Lothian Rd) meets B700 in Edinburgh.
A701 meets B701 in Edinburgh.

Is this the sort of thing you're after or have I misunderstood?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

nick_dunn wrote:A803 meets B803 in Falkirk.
A700 (Lothian Rd) meets B700 in Edinburgh.
A701 meets B701 in Edinburgh.

Is this the sort of thing you're after or have I misunderstood?
Cheers for these; yes, this is exactly it! There's more than I'd thought there would be. I'll start adding them to the ctegory in the coming days - busy travelling a lot at the moment so not so much time!
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

Found a few more:
A814 meets B814 in Clydebank
A306 meets B306 in Barnes. I was initially doubtful about this one as it looked from the map colours as if the B306 might end on the A205. However our wiki page suggests otherwise.
A908 meets B908 in Alloa. I was concerned about this too as the mainline B908 does not meet the A908. However our wiki says the spur along Fairfield Rd to the A908 is actually the B908, so we're ok!

I feel there are more of these, probably in larger towns and cities.

From the SABRE Wiki: Red Rover :

Red Rover is the junction of the A205 South Circular Road and A306 in Barnes, south-west London. The B306 terminates here, forming a rare instance of same-numbered A- and B- roads meeting each other. It is one of several strategically important junctions in this part of the city which are significantly under-developed considering their importance to traffic. In this case, the A306 from the south acts as a spur of the A3 from Portsmouth, linking places south-west of

... Read More
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

nick_dunn wrote: A908 meets B908 in Alloa. I was concerned about this too as the mainline B908 does not meet the A908. However our wiki says the spur along Fairfield Rd to the A908 is actually the B908, so we're ok!
OK, so I forgot to update that! The council list says that that spur is the C104 (Clackmannanshire), so it is dubious at best, even if it is the de-facto B908, with more traffic using it than the mainline into the town centre.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: C104 (Clackmannanshire) :

The C104 is often marked on maps as a spur of the B908, and indeed sometimes erroneously labelled as Fairfield Road. However, the council list would suggest that the section of road between the A908 and B908 in Sauchie is part of Parkhead Road and the C104. The eastern end of the route was previously part of the A908, before the main road was straightened after the railway closed. It can further be speculated that before the B908 was re-routed, a further section of

... Read More
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

rileyrob wrote:
nick_dunn wrote: A908 meets B908 in Alloa. I was concerned about this too as the mainline B908 does not meet the A908. However our wiki says the spur along Fairfield Rd to the A908 is actually the B908, so we're ok!
OK, so I forgot to update that! The council list says that that spur is the C104 (Clackmannanshire), so it is dubious at best, even if it is the de-facto B908, with more traffic using it than the mainline into the town centre.
Nice one Rob, that seems to clarify it then. I did wonder about it, as the signs at the A908 junction all have B908 in brackets.

From the SABRE Wiki: C104 (Clackmannanshire) :

The C104 is often marked on maps as a spur of the B908, and indeed sometimes erroneously labelled as Fairfield Road. However, the council list would suggest that the section of road between the A908 and B908 in Sauchie is part of Parkhead Road and the C104. The eastern end of the route was previously part of the A908, before the main road was straightened after the railway closed. It can further be speculated that before the B908 was re-routed, a further section of

... Read More
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

A couple more:
A4289 meets B4289 in Swindon at the Magic Roundabout. Both form part of the 'ring road'.
A3013 meets B3013 in Fleet. The two roads form a multiplex in the town.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

I thought that A7066 and B7066 met each other, but it would seem that they're separated by a short stretch of A706.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
David D Miller

Post by David D Miller »

Osthagen wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 23:34 I thought that A7066 and B7066 met each other, but it would seem that they're separated by a short stretch of A706.
When the M8 was extended east from Whitburn, the southern half of the B7002 was cut by the new motorway. The replacement link road through junction 4 (which is now the southern end of the A801) was initially numbered A7002, and met the remaining half of the B7002 at a new roundabout on the old A8 Glasgow and Edinburgh Road. This length of the A8 was also renumbered when the motorway opened, with the part to the west of the roundabout initially becoming B7066 and the part to the east becoming A7066. So, for a time, the B7002 and A7002 met, and the B7066 and A7066 met, all at a single roundabout.