Open Street map

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

Open Street map

Post by roadphotos »

Who does Open Street map. I always thought that the road numbers were mostly correct and up to date but it shows The Street in Rayne (village) near Braintree as the B1256 which it never has been. There is a B1256 to the east and west of Rayne but the road through the village is an unclassified minor road.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Open Street map

Post by Steven »

OpenStreetMap do!

It's crowdsource mapping, so you can get on there and change it your self - indeed OSM encourage people to do just that.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

I have tried to change the road (marked as the B1256) to an unclassified one but it won't let me do it. I did manage to put something on the map to say but can't seem to change the map itself.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

There's all sorts of different editors when you click the edit tab; I find Potlatch2 most intuitive, but it does require Java (bleugh). There's an ID editor on there that doesn't, but I don't find it easy to use; or there are other editors that you can download and install.

They have forums there where people can help you further.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
A181

Post by A181 »

Remember too that it doesn't happen instantly. The changes are only uploaded at intervals, and depending on the scale of map you look at it can take a couple of days. It also sometimes happens that you see a change at one zoom level and then zoom in or out and it reverts to the previous revision. It'll get there eventually!!

Edit.
Just checked. It hadn't been changed. It has now!!
trigpoint

Post by trigpoint »

A181 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 18:33 Remember too that it doesn't happen instantly. The changes are only uploaded at intervals, and depending on the scale of map you look at it can take a couple of days. It also sometimes happens that you see a change at one zoom level and then zoom in or out and it reverts to the previous revision. It'll get there eventually!!

Edit.
Just checked. It hadn't been changed. It has now!!
You have removed the reference but it should also be changed to highway=tertiary, in UK terms secondary is for B road.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Well done, you managed to do what I was finding difficult and change the classification of the road through Rayne.
I've noticed the B3084 in Hampshire needs changing. The road no longer goes through the village of Over Wallop.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

roadphotos wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 17:05 I've noticed the B3084 in Hampshire needs changing. The road no longer goes through the village of Over Wallop.
Fixed.
Let it snow.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Thanks, another error I've noticed is that part of the A4146 at Leighton Buzzard from the A418 to the B440 is shown incorrectly as the A505.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Open Street map shows Laindon Road, Billericay, Essex as the B1007 when it's actually the A176.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

roadphotos wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 21:55 Open Street map shows Laindon Road, Billericay, Essex as the B1007 when it's actually the A176.
Not too certain about that. Shown as A-road on the OS map (on magic), but looking at local signage on GSV is signed as B1007.
Let it snow.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Laindon Road, Billericay is the A176 but the signs haven't been changed yet. It used to be the B1007 but when the one way system was established in Billericay it meant that all of the A129 traffic from Brentwood could no longer continue straight on at the roundabout at the southern end of Billericay High Street and was forced to turn right down Laindon Road to continue on the A129. This is why the road number was changed from the B1007 to the A176. Before the changes it was simply the route to take to get to the A176 towards Basildon but now it's also the route to continue on the A129 so it was upgraded from the B1007 to the A176. The only thing is that they still haven't got round to changing the signs so the A129 route in Billericay from west to east isn't signed.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

roadphotos wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 09:07 Laindon Road, Billericay is the A176 but the signs haven't been changed yet. It used to be the B1007 ..
Yes what you say fits what I see on GSV, but I'm not willing to change OSM as if challenged I'd not be able to point to much evidence - sorry statements on forums don't count unlesss they which can be backed up with evidence.

Updating OSM is fine if you are certain of your facts, i.e. seen the changes yourself in person or seen it from multiple sources. If you are local, then you could do the changes yourself, but should add source=local_knowledge to the tags and keep the old number as historic:ref .
Let it snow.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The road through Rayne appears to be shown incorrectly as the B1256 again on Open Street Map. I know this was fixed once so I'm not sure how this has happened. The road is unclassified (not numbered)
trigpoint

Post by trigpoint »

I will revert it back to tertiary later, thanks for spotting it.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Looks like it was our old friend User:Greyseal18 "upgrading" the road to make it look nicer on the map.... I've reverted it, and made a similar change to our wiki.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Thanks, I don't look at the Open Street Map that often so I'm not sure how long the road at Rayne has been shown incorrectly again. One interesting thing about Open Street Map is that it seems to be one of the only maps that shows the rerouted A63 and the other road number changes at Howden. None of the latest most up to date road atlases show this change despite the fact that it happened in 2016.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Yes, wikis and OSM can be great, if they're continually updated with correct information. However, it's easy for myths and fiction to be perpetuated, as well as malicious damage.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Another change not shown on Open Street Map is the rerouted A3047 at Pool between Redruth and Cambourne in Cornwall, the A3047s route was apparently changed in 2015 although very few maps and atlases show the rerouted A3047 which now goes around Pool
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

You can edit OSM to reflect those changes, of course. :)