Palmer's Moor Lane

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mark Hewitt

Palmer's Moor Lane

Post by Mark Hewitt »

It's between the M40 and M4 on the M25.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... 4,0.022531

It seems to be an emergency access road for the M25, however it isn't gated off in any way and TomTom (sat nav) seems to think this is a proper motorway junction, so directs people onto the M25 using this road.

TomTom will take a couple of years to fix this problem, no doubt. In the meantime is it worth reporting to the HA so they can put gates on it perhaps? AFAIK it is signed as Emergency Access Only, but only when you are pretty much on top of the exit.

(It's not me who found this, it's a post on uk.rec.driving)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks for tip-off about the short cut.
Regards,
Paul
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

It's also adjacent to where a recovery station was located during the recent J12-15 widening. Personnel working on the scheme were forbidden from crosssing the motorway there as the bridge is a private access for the landowner and emegency vehicles only.
PS there are barriers
SubaruImprezaWRX

Post by SubaruImprezaWRX »

Out of interest, are these deliberately in place in case of motorway pile ups? I.e so emergency service can get to the scene if they are local?

thx
BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy »

This isn't just a TomTom error, I have a ViaMichelin SatNav and every day it tries to exit me at J15 1/2 to get to Uxbridge.
ABE

Post by ABE »

The ViaMichelin route planner has the same problem. For example, ask for directions from Chertsey to Cowley. The directions advise me to take exit 15a onto Palmer's Moor Lane, and the accompanying map shows it clearly.

I'm not surprised that their satnav and website share the same database, but it's interesting to see that they actually list this as junction 15a.

I've notified Michelin - as much as I like seeing anomalies like this it could cause an accident if someone is trying to follow inaccurate directions on the M25...
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Here's a picture of the so called junction

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... 002816&t=k

Not something I would like to attempt to use myself!
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Coming off northbound doesn't look too bad, but the rest would require using the hard shoulder to slow down or speed up if I was attempting to use it.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

I have a bit of local knowledge about this. This arrangement was put in given that the adjacent junctions on the M25, J16 and J15 are both with other motorways (M40 and M4). As it is not possible for vehicles to undertake turn rounds here, this was put in to enable emergency vehicles to turn around.

Also i have been informed by a collaegue who used to work on the gritters, that it was used for gritters to turn round so both J16 and J15 could be fully gritted.

The HA are aware of it and i have used it to get off when i am stuck on the M25. Only authorised vehicles should use it.

There is another such access point on the M40 where Fulmer Road crosses the motorway just to the west of the m25here

Regarding Palmers Moor lane, we try and potect it from any large development to ensure that the access road remains clear
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Mark Hewitt wrote:Here's a picture of the so called junction

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... 002816&t=k

Not something I would like to attempt to use myself!
Check out the house just to the west! Swimming pool, garage, private junction on the M25... ;)
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

It looks as if the HA want to stop the use of this as a short cut. Went past on the M25 last evening and signs are erected on both approcahes which say "New Barrier Ahead". On the slips are 2 new red and white access controlled barriers.

Thanks to Sat Nav, one of my exit points from the road, which i have used when caught in congestion has gone.