Amusing road names

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Derek

Post by Derek »

Paul wrote:
mittfh wrote:There was infamously a Gropecunte Lane in the City once, as frequented by ladies of the night.
Also true of Opie Street in Norwich - for the same reason.

Derek
leopard680

Funny street names

Post by leopard680 »

I thought 'Old Seamus Quirke Road' in Galway was a good one
Paul

Post by Paul »

AJK1982 wrote:There is a Gay Street near Pulborough in W Sussex, clearly because it is a happy place to be.....
More notably, it's a main street in Bath.
Regards,
Paul
Paul Townsend

Post by Paul Townsend »

RobJ29A wrote:In Congleton on the A34 is Rood Hill. Many years back the "Rood Hill" street sign at the top of said hill had been vandalised to say "Rod Hull". Marvellous!
"Rood" means "cross" (as in depictiion of the Crucifixion) in Middle English. Many churches have a screen showing a cross, between the sanctuary (where the choir sits and the clergy do their thing) and the nave (containing the seats for the common rabble sorry the laity), this is still known as the Roodscreen.
RobJ29A wrote:Many years back the "Rood Hill" street sign at the top of said hill had been vandalised to say "Rod Hull". Marvellous!
Perhaps we could start a subthread on inspired but unauthorised changes to street names and other signs.
mittfh

Post by mittfh »

Courtesy of one enterprising local youth, a local village entry sign changed from this:

Worcestershire

STONE

to this:

All of
Worcestershire
is

STONED

(imagine correct fonts/sizes/alignments/WCC logo)
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

When I was a lad I lived in Kinver, Staffs. The parish council organised a high-profile twinning project with a French village, called Mer. Some of the local chavs must have been paying attention during French GCSE classes, as no sooner had the signs gone up at the village limits saying 'Welcome to / KINVER / twinned with / MER / France' but the French village's name had acquired an extra 'DE'.
crobzub

Post by crobzub »

On a recent visit to Oxford, someone told me that the sign for Turn Again Lane made his day! Sadly we were with a large group, so we didn't get around to walking it, but what with the amount of times we got lost, it proved to be very handy advice.
Ian198

Post by Ian198 »

Re. unauthorised changes, at the entrances to Musselburgh there are signs of welcome to "The Honest Toun". (The town motto 'Honesty' dates back to 1332, when the Regent of Scotland, Randolph, Earl of Moray died in the Burgh after a long illness during which he was devotedly cared for by the citizens of the burgh. His successor offered to reward the people for their loyalty but they declined saying they were only doing their duty. The new regent was very impressed and said they were a set of honest men, hence "Honest Toun".)

A while ago some of these were augmented by "beware pickpockets".
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

On the A249 just off the M2 is a sign that I passed hundreds of times saying 'Hucking U turn'. I never did get around to changing it :twisted:

Although near us the village of Shilbotte gets its signs altered on a regular basis.

Wolfie.
Wolfie

FB me!
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

Although near us the village of Shilbotte gets its signs altered on a regular basis.
As does this village.

Andy
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

coasterjunkie wrote:As does this village.
I've seen the sign for Bottacks have the Ts changed to Ls.

Has anyone mentioned Lost - the signs don't get vandalised there, just stolen.

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/d ... m=6&pos=92
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Glen wrote:Has anyone mentioned Lost
Yes - very good programme! Great storyline and..........oh, wait. That's not what you're on about, is it?! :wink:
Danno B10M

Post by Danno B10M »

Talking of signs being altered, when I worked in Leek, driving in one morning I was highly amused by the replacement of the Leek - Queen Of The Moorlands sign with one from Stanley Moor, several miles away. :lol:

Someone had performed the prank under the cover of darkness, with tools and transport.

I walked past a few days and the Leek sign had been thrown in the hedge.
You're never late, with a Scania V8
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

I have seen the signs to Ruckhall from the B4352 between Hay-on-wye and Hereford with the R altered and the A obliterated by some local wags.

As I only ever go along there on my way to courses to update me on the latest changes to auditing and accounting standards or tax regulations, it is the only bit of light relief for the whole day!
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

There's a "Turnagain Lane" in Canterbury - and yes, it is a dead end..... :)
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
M60-Tony

Post by M60-Tony »

A few more I've come across

Coffin Lane, Ashbourne
Uncouth Road, Rochdale
Nanny Goat Lane, Stone (Staffs.)
Gordon Brown Place, Mallaig
Strange Road, Wigan
Silly Lane, Lancaster
Tony

"We have more and more laws, and less and less law enforcement."
a80

Post by a80 »

There's a U.P. Road in Kilsyth (don't know what it stands for.

Also spotted Bladda Lane nearby and just up the road Cadgers Sheuch... No idea what that means...
Everyone dies, but not everyone lives...
Dave908

Amusing road names

Post by Dave908 »

Theres a 'Rubbing Stone' in Caldy on the Wirral
Elliott

Post by Elliott »

I just saw an alleyway named "Ingle Pingle" in Loughborough today. Suppose it doesn't count, but it had the same kind of sign that roads do in this area.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Theres a Bank Passage in Worthing, but the sign is high up, so it can't be vandalised. (I bet there was one at normal height at some point)