Amusing road names

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

My 2 faves are both in South Gloucestershire...

Cowship Lane, Cromhall which once upon a time was spelt slightly differently...

And, the street that inspired indie faves Cast's greatest moment Walker Way
jcpren

Post by jcpren »

Col wrote:How about Electric Avenue in Nottingham?
Related to this, there's a Telephone Lane in Glasgow, which runs up the side of an exchange building.

There's also a Needless Road in Perth. Why have it? :?
John
RobJ29A

Post by RobJ29A »

In Congleton on the A34 is Rood Hill. Many years back the "Rood Hill" street sign at the top of said hill had been vandalised to say "Rod Hull". Marvellous! Went through there back in October/November time and the sign was returned to its original Rood Hill state.

Is there a Letsby Avenue anywhere? If there is then some police officers should live on it! :D :D

EDIT

Just loaded up Autoroute and found Legsby Avenue in Grimsby, not quite close enough!
Last edited by RobJ29A on Mon Apr 03, 2006 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
My favourite Beatles album? It's probably "The Best of the Beatles".
- Alan Partridge
Simon_in_Salop

Post by Simon_in_Salop »

Bfivethousand wrote:My 2 faves are both in South Gloucestershire...

Cowship Lane, Cromhall which once upon a time was spelt slightly differently...
I presume you mean CowSLIP Lane? But that's a beautiful name. Perhaps there are primroses and oxlips growing there as well
ndp

Post by ndp »

RobJ29A wrote:Is there a Letsby Avenue anywhere? If there is then some police officers should live on it! :D :D
Allegedly there is a police station on Letsby Avenue, Sheffield.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

RobJ29A wrote:In Congleton on the A34 is Rood Hill. Many years back the "Rood Hill" street sign at the top of said hill had been vandalised to say "Rod Hull". Marvellous! Went through there back in October/November time and the sign was returned to its original Rood Hill state.
The old one probably fell down.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
RobJ29A

Post by RobJ29A »

ndp wrote:Allegedly there is a police station on Letsby Avenue, Sheffield.
Wherabouts is Letsby Avenue in Sheffield? Can't find it on Autoroute. I hope the address of that Police station is 999 Letsby Avenue - ha ha ha!
ForestChav wrote:The old one probably fell down.
Ahh, the irony of the mighty Rod Hull's demise. If he hadn't lived in a dirty great big windmill the fall from the roof might have been less fatal...

Sorry.
Last edited by RobJ29A on Mon Apr 03, 2006 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
- Alan Partridge
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

RobJ29A wrote:
Wherabouts is Letsby Avenue in Sheffield? Can't find it on Autoroute.
ForestChav wrote:The old one probably fell down.
Ahh, the irony of the mighty Rod Hull's demise. If he hadn't lived in a dirty great big windmill the fall from the roof might have been less fatal...

Sorry.
Probably thought he was Emu and he'd land safely having flied for a few yards... what, emus can't fly...?
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
RobJ29A

Post by RobJ29A »

He loved his Jelly though, didn't he! If only he had landed in a big pile of green jelly...
- Alan Partridge
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

Allegedly there is a police station on Letsby Avenue, Sheffield
There is.

Andy
MJN

Post by MJN »

ForestChav wrote:
MJN wrote:
Paul wrote:This topic will never die!

Some interesting ones:

Anita Street, Ancoats, Manchester, was once "Sanitary Street".
There's a few Bye-Pass Roads (Langford, Beeston, Bolton-le-Sands, Northwich, Haddington). This sounds like a quaint old term for a relief road to me.
If it's the same place I'm thinking of, this Bye-Pass Road is in Chilwell rather than Beeston.
Yes, but that would be termed "splitting hairs".
I know they're both next to each other, but I thought I'd point it out because it 'bye-pass'es the narrow, winding section of Chilwell High Road rather than Beeston Town Centre.
Last edited by MJN on Tue Apr 04, 2006 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Townsend

Post by Paul Townsend »

mittfh wrote:If you think that's stupid, just look across the road - Welshman's Hill. Zoom out to the O/S view, doesn't look very hilly to me...
That would answer to Rhiwsaeson ("Englishman's Hill") off the A473 between Pontypridd and Llantrisant. In both cases the "hill" is probably an ancient burial mound.
mittfh

Post by mittfh »

Not a specific example, but apparently several place names were edited by spoilsport Victorians to make them sound more appealing.

Apparently, many "Grape Lane"s were originally "Grope Lane"s, so not the kind of street to wander down late at night after a few bottles of wine (or more likely beer, but since wine fits with the edit...)
Paul

Post by Paul »

mittfh wrote:Not a specific example, but apparently several place names were edited by spoilsport Victorians to make them sound more appealing.

Apparently, many "Grape Lane"s were originally "Grope Lane"s, so not the kind of street to wander down late at night after a few bottles of wine (or more likely beer, but since wine fits with the edit...)
There was infamously a Gropecunte Lane in the City once, as frequented by ladies of the night. Also Pudding Lane, of Great Fire infamy, comes from a very old slang word for faeces.
Regards,
Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

RobJ29A wrote:
Wherabouts is Letsby Avenue in Sheffield? Can't find it on Autoroute. I hope the address of that Police station is 999 Letsby Avenue - ha ha ha!
It's a private road, so doesn't appear on many maps. Clearly the coppers have a sense of humour.
Regards,
Paul
AJK1982

Post by AJK1982 »

There is a Gay Street near Pulborough in W Sussex, clearly because it is a happy place to be.....

There is also an Upper Foxholes in Shoreham, and Lancing contains First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Seventh and Eighth Avenues.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Canal Street in Manchester is the home of the gay scene in the city.

It's just a shame someone scrubbed of the C and S, and changed the second e to an a.

Work it out. :?
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

AJK1982 wrote:There is a Gay Street near Pulborough in W Sussex, clearly because it is a happy place to be.....

There is also an Upper Foxholes in Shoreham, and Lancing contains First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Seventh and Eighth Avenues.
Are you sure about Upper Foxholes? There is a Lesser Foxholes though.

In Shoreham there is also an Industrial estate down Dolphin Road, I like that name :-)

Theres also Parkside, which runs down the side of a park.
MJN

Post by MJN »

There's also a Parkside, Parkside Gardens and Parkside Rise on the western side of Wollaton Park, in Nottingham. http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi? ... 000&icon=x
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

On a 1682 map of London, the very western end of Cheapside where the A1 now starts is called Blow Bladder Lane. The mind boggles!

Wolfie.
Wolfie

FB me!