M27 terminal junction

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
Nick_A34
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 23:39
Location: South East London

M27 terminal junction

Post by Nick_A34 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 23:53

Can anyone local help me with a quick question. At the eastern end of the M27 is the A27 junction signposted as junction 13?

Thanks,

Nick

User avatar
Johnathan404
Elected Committee Member
Posts: 10529
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 16:54
Location: Dublin / Portsmouth
Contact:

Post by Johnathan404 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 09:43

The A27's junctions are not numbered so we'll never know. Maps mark it as J12 though.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham

User avatar
sotonsteve
Member
Posts: 6079
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 21:01

Post by sotonsteve » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:49

Junction 12 has two slip roads and merges in each direction; for the M275 and for the A3/A27.

User avatar
SouthWest Philip
Member
Posts: 2777
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2002 19:35
Location: Evesham, Worcestershire

Post by SouthWest Philip » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:32

A handful of Collin's Atlases in the mid 1990's showed this junction as jnc 13. It also showed the A27 as motorway upto the A3(M) with jncs 14 (A2030) and 15 (A3(M)).

RickyB_uk
Member
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 15:33

Post by RickyB_uk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:18

We seem to have this photo at the western end of the M27, saying J12. I wouldn't have thought that the junction immediately prior to that (i.e. on the A27 itself) has a junction number

User avatar
Johnathan404
Elected Committee Member
Posts: 10529
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 16:54
Location: Dublin / Portsmouth
Contact:

Post by Johnathan404 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 13:47

RickyB_uk wrote:We seem to have this photo at the western end of the M27, saying J12. I wouldn't have thought that the junction immediately prior to that (i.e. on the A27 itself) has a junction number
I should've thought of that one - I took it!
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham

Nick_A34
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 23:39
Location: South East London

Post by Nick_A34 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 00:11

Thanks for the help folks!

Nick

Rubberduck
Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 21:54
Location: Guildford, Surrey

Post by Rubberduck » Mon Oct 30, 2006 16:08

Slightly off topic, but when was the decision taken that the M27 would end at the M275 and not continue along the route of the present A27 to Chichester?

I ask this because I have a 1975 road atlas that shows the M27 under construction between Portsmouth and Chichester on the route planner but not on the actual road map :?.

User avatar
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator
Posts: 15545
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 20:39
Location: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Contact:

Post by Steven » Mon Oct 30, 2006 17:30

Rubberduck wrote:Slightly off topic, but when was the decision taken that the M27 would end at the M275 and not continue along the route of the present A27 to Chichester?

I ask this because I have a 1975 road atlas that shows the M27 under construction between Portsmouth and Chichester on the route planner but not on the actual road map :?.
IIRC it was one of the later "Oil Crisis" cuts. Probably 1977 or so. I can check later.
Steven

Pathetic Motorways: tastier than a well-chewed slipper.
Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

User avatar
Lewis
Member
Posts: 1765
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:40
Location: Shoreham, Nr Brighton, Sussex

Post by Lewis » Mon Oct 30, 2006 17:41

The Havant to Chichester section of the M27 now exists as a high quality D2 built in the 1990's. It amazes me that the plans or the M27 dont have it replaceing the Chichester Bypass, but instead terminating at Fishbourne roundabout.

User avatar
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator
Posts: 15545
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 20:39
Location: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Contact:

Post by Steven » Mon Oct 30, 2006 17:43

Lewis wrote:The Havant to Chichester section of the M27 now exists as a high quality D2 built in the 1990's. It amazes me that the plans or the M27 dont have it replaceing the Chichester Bypass, but instead terminating at Fishbourne roundabout.
To be fair, though, the Chichester Bypass is D2, so the M27 (and the new A27) bypassed the single carriageway sections of the old A27.

The fact that the Chichester Bypass is utterly rubbish is neither here nor there...
Steven

Pathetic Motorways: tastier than a well-chewed slipper.
Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

User avatar
Lewis
Member
Posts: 1765
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:40
Location: Shoreham, Nr Brighton, Sussex

Post by Lewis » Mon Oct 30, 2006 17:55

Steven wrote:
Lewis wrote:The Havant to Chichester section of the M27 now exists as a high quality D2 built in the 1990's. It amazes me that the plans or the M27 dont have it replaceing the Chichester Bypass, but instead terminating at Fishbourne roundabout.
To be fair, though, the Chichester Bypass is D2, so the M27 (and the new A27) bypassed the single carriageway sections of the old A27.

The fact that the Chichester Bypass is utterly rubbish is neither here nor there...
But if your building a motorway all the way from the New Forest, surely extending it just past Chichester isnt difficault. But then, bypassing Arundel and Worthing seems like such hard work for this country, its amazing any motorway got built at all ;)

User avatar
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator
Posts: 15545
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 20:39
Location: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Contact:

Post by Steven » Mon Oct 30, 2006 17:59

Lewis wrote:But if your building a motorway all the way from the New Forest, surely extending it just past Chichester isnt difficault
Not technically, no.

Put yourself in the mid-1970s, though. I rather suspect that the Chichester Bypass wasn't anywhere near as bad then as it is today, and if you just looked at a map you might well conclude that it's no worse than the sections of D2 A27 to either side...
Steven

Pathetic Motorways: tastier than a well-chewed slipper.
Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

User avatar
Lewis
Member
Posts: 1765
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:40
Location: Shoreham, Nr Brighton, Sussex

Post by Lewis » Mon Oct 30, 2006 18:56

Steven wrote:
Lewis wrote:But if your building a motorway all the way from the New Forest, surely extending it just past Chichester isnt difficault
Not technically, no.

Put yourself in the mid-1970s, though. I rather suspect that the Chichester Bypass wasn't anywhere near as bad then as it is today, and if you just looked at a map you might well conclude that it's no worse than the sections of D2 A27 to either side...
Thats true. But then I don't remember the 70's, I'm not old enough ;)

Rubberduck
Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 21:54
Location: Guildford, Surrey

Post by Rubberduck » Mon Oct 30, 2006 20:13

RickyB_uk wrote:We seem to have this photo at the western end of the M27, saying J12. I wouldn't have thought that the junction immediately prior to that (i.e. on the A27 itself) has a junction number
Just noticed the road numbers on the primary signs are in white :wink:.

Post Reply