Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bfivethousand

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Bfivethousand »

16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

The A4215 initially is non-primary.
https://goo.gl/maps/WPLBChUnUELtoo927
Then a short way down the road it changes its mind and says "Nah, I want to be primary like the A470".
https://goo.gl/maps/31oFCfBQUprNtC6m7
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Been to Wigan today. I noticed quite a few signs such as the one captured here in the middle showing Bolton & Manchester. I'm not sure if they are correct. But they seem like a crossover between a stack type sign (with only 1 stack) and a route confirmation sign (with added route numbers). Wigan council seem to like them as i saw 3 or 4 like this in proximity of the town centre.
Edit' here is a link to another here https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5470411 ... 384!8i8192
Attachments
IMG_2119.JPG
solocle

Post by solocle »

Google Street View in Manchester
This is fine, it's an all purpose road. Then you turn left at the junction... and pass and "end of motorway restrictions" sign!

But it gets worse. It looks like a pavement on the right, albeit a narrow one. No "no pedestrians", just what looks like a footway straight onto the A57(M) :shock:

I was having a poke around this one after reading pathetic motorways.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

solocle wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:17 Google Street View in Manchester
This is fine, it's an all purpose road. Then you turn left at the junction... and pass and "end of motorway restrictions" sign!

But it gets worse. It looks like a pavement on the right, albeit a narrow one. No "no pedestrians", just what looks like a footway straight onto the A57(M) :shock:

It's a complete mess down there which boils back to the A57(M) was not originally a motorway and the restrictions were added later, with varying rates of success...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 14:10

It's a complete mess down there which boils back to the A57(M) was not originally a motorway and the restrictions were added later, with varying rates of success...
Considering how many roads there are that should be motorways but aren't, this makes it almost funny. I also like how the "New 30mph Speed Limit" signs at the start of the slip road were there in 2009 and are still there now.
solocle

Post by solocle »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 16:06
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 14:10

Considering how many roads there are that should be motorways but aren't, this makes it almost funny. I also like how the "New 30mph Speed Limit" signs at the start of the slip road were there in 2009 and are still there now.
While routes like the A303 should probably be motorways, not in their current form.
539E9CDB-9F2B-4C60-BD12-9816A81D9165.jpeg
Without remedial works that cost money, it's not a simple question of plopping up blue signs like seems to have been done in Manchester. You need to provide an alternative route for prohibited traffic - parts of the A303 are extremely difficult to avoid, for instance:
FA82E49E-C937-4199-8B8A-497A304CE853.jpeg
Yep, literally cycle directions to a national speed limit dual carriageway trunk road...

And still National Highways are pushing ahead with further dualling schemes on this very corridor (Sparkford to Ilchester) without adequate NMU provision...

I'd suggest making a law prohibiting any further online dualling schemes without a cycleway suitable for Chris Hoy speeds alongside, but that's me...
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

As said above, I totally agree. The section of the A2 Between Bexley and the M2 is a motorway in all but name, it even has hard shoulders. The reason for not making it so has always been stated that there is no alternative route for non-motorway traffic, so indeed there are no restrictions to prevent you from cycling along there. There even used to be a sign here warning cyclists of "narrow lanes ahead" but it was removed before streetview was a thing. I've never seen a cyclist or pedestrian on this section but slow-moving farm vehicles do appear on the section near Gravesend periodicity, often resulting in sudden lane changes and braking and certainly isn't ideal.

The new A14 actually prohibits the same traffic a motorway does and is built to motorway standards, which begs the question why isn't it a motorway?
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Probably if they'd put the chopsticks sign just before that turn it wouldn't matter at all, as it stands you're going to be under motorway restrictions accidentally for how far? A few metres tops. It's a mess, but it's not going to cause chaos, only in a technical sense.
MotorwayGuy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 21:21 As said above, I totally agree. The section of the A2 Between Bexley and the M2 is a motorway in all but name, it even has hard shoulders. The reason for not making it so has always been stated that there is no alternative route for non-motorway traffic, so indeed there are no restrictions to prevent you from cycling along there. There even used to be a sign here warning cyclists of "narrow lanes ahead" but it was removed before streetview was a thing. I've never seen a cyclist or pedestrian on this section but slow-moving farm vehicles do appear on the section near Gravesend periodicity, often resulting in sudden lane changes and braking and certainly isn't ideal.

The new A14 actually prohibits the same traffic a motorway does and is built to motorway standards, which begs the question why isn't it a motorway?
Probably because there would be political pressure on it if it was, it's not the only stretch of A-road with special restrictions after all.

Such roads should definitely come with a 2-way cycle road alongside them though because in this case it's much safer to completely segregate cyclists from the much quicker (and much more) road traffic than have them alongside HGVs and stuff doing 60-70 mph all the way.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
solocle

Post by solocle »

ForestChav wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 21:42

Probably if they'd put the chopsticks sign just before that turn it wouldn't matter at all, as it stands you're going to be under motorway restrictions accidentally for how far? A few metres tops. It's a mess, but it's not going to cause chaos, only in a technical sense.
MotorwayGuy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 21:21 As said above, I totally agree. The section of the A2 Between Bexley and the M2 is a motorway in all but name, it even has hard shoulders. The reason for not making it so has always been stated that there is no alternative route for non-motorway traffic, so indeed there are no restrictions to prevent you from cycling along there. There even used to be a sign here warning cyclists of "narrow lanes ahead" but it was removed before streetview was a thing. I've never seen a cyclist or pedestrian on this section but slow-moving farm vehicles do appear on the section near Gravesend periodicity, often resulting in sudden lane changes and braking and certainly isn't ideal.

Probably because there would be political pressure on it if it was, it's not the only stretch of A-road with special restrictions after all.

Such roads should definitely come with a 2-way cycle road alongside them though because in this case it's much safer to completely segregate cyclists from the much quicker (and much more) road traffic than have them alongside HGVs and stuff doing 60-70 mph all the way.
I mean, the key thing is to put the "end sign" just before the turning and match it with no entry / no pedestrians signs on the other side.

But as for hard shoulders, how about cycling on the former M27 spur [A36(M)]:

I have to say that it worked quite effectively as a bike lane while not dealing with junctions. Hardly ideal, but it beats your bog standard NSL D2.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
jnty

Post by jnty »

solocle wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 22:22 I have to say that it worked quite effectively as a bike lane while not dealing with junctions. Hardly ideal, but it beats your bog standard NSL D2.
I think in other countries it would be normal to provide a single track road which acts as a local farm traffic/NMU access road. The alternative where roads just end up with complex legal status to avoid them having blue signs does absolutely nothing for the users (motorised or not) the "alternative route rule" is presumably intended to protect. Has the feeling of 'parliamentary trains' where railway lines avoid formal closure by providing a useless service - laws presumably at one point designed to protect passengers just end up creating a lose-lose situation for everyone.
solocle

Post by solocle »

jnty wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:22
solocle wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 22:22 I have to say that it worked quite effectively as a bike lane while not dealing with junctions. Hardly ideal, but it beats your bog standard NSL D2.
I think in other countries it would be normal to provide a single track road which acts as a local farm traffic/NMU access road. The alternative where roads just end up with complex legal status to avoid them having blue signs does absolutely nothing for the users (motorised or not) the "alternative route rule" is presumably intended to protect. Has the feeling of 'parliamentary trains' where railway lines avoid formal closure by providing a useless service - laws presumably at one point designed to protect passengers just end up creating a lose-lose situation for everyone.
Personally I quite like where it's an S2, as it makes for a more freeflowing journey on a bike. Although it does significantly increase the speeds of the motorists passing you, too:
capture4.jpg
But when we move away from motorways such layouts are generally very patchy indeed. The A30 west of Honiton has to be one of the most contiguous old roads I've encountered, and yet there were times I was on the main dual carriageway to join them up. And there was a detour along the A39/A395 to avoid the 15 mile section across Bodmin Moor.
capture5.jpg
jnty

Post by jnty »

solocle wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:55
jnty wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:22
Personally I quite like where it's an S2, as it makes for a more freeflowing journey on a bike. Although it does significantly increase the speeds of the motorists passing you, too:
capture4.jpg
But when we move away from motorways such layouts are generally very patchy indeed. The A30 west of Honiton has to be one of the most contiguous old roads I've encountered, and yet there were times I was on the main dual carriageway to join them up. And there was a detour along the A39/A395 to avoid the 15 mile section across Bodmin Moor.
capture5.jpg
Yeah, I'm thinking of tracks which provide no reasonable through route and are literally only for field access and the like. If there's going to be any level of "general traffic" you'd want a slow shared S2 or separate provision.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

solocle wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:17 But it gets worse. It looks like a pavement on the right, albeit a narrow one. No "no pedestrians", just what looks like a footway straight onto the A57(M) :shock:
That I think is an issue with the way Motorways are usually signed. The entry slips have chopsticks, which includes "no pedestrians", so that's fine. The exit slips usually have "no entry" (or in this case "turn left") - but these don't apply to pedestrians! So in most cases there's no sign that prohibits pedestrians from entering the motorway via the exit slip, or even informing them that it is a motorway.

For a random example - You shouldn't walk up here. But where is the sign to say you can't?
solocle

Post by solocle »

SteelCamel wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 15:29
solocle wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:17 But it gets worse. It looks like a pavement on the right, albeit a narrow one. No "no pedestrians", just what looks like a footway straight onto the A57(M) :shock:
That I think is an issue with the way Motorways are usually signed. The entry slips have chopsticks, which includes "no pedestrians", so that's fine. The exit slips usually have "no entry" (or in this case "turn left") - but these don't apply to pedestrians! So in most cases there's no sign that prohibits pedestrians from entering the motorway via the exit slip, or even informing them that it is a motorway.

For a random example - You shouldn't walk up here. But where is the sign to say you can't?
Actually to be really pedantic there's no sign indicating the start of motorway restrictions at the corresponding entry slip... Yes, the direction sign has chopsticks, but it was only a few weeks ago that I, completely legitimately, cycled past just such a sign:

You can see that I did weigh it up before doing that, it's cruddy signage.

Also when in the area I could have cycled straight onto the A74(M) from Gretna Services for the same reason, but worse I had to follow Welcome Break direction signs to the A74(M) South to return to the B7076 North! Then again, we all know what motorway services are like...
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Upside down countdown marker.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Northern Ireland "Now how shall we sign the start of a motorway":

This...
Or this...
Maybe this...
And finally perhaps this?

I've seen some very strange things over here this last couple of weeks, including more warning triangles and supplementary plates so old that the red has faded to pink or nothing than I've ever seen anywhere else in such numbers.

Having said that, apart from one peak period in Belfast :shock:, it's been a pleasure driving around here, the roads seem so quiet.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

This is stretching Diagram 2403.1 to the limit. It does have a certain something about it though.