Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:09
swissferry wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 21:54 No entry with change of speed limit.
Interesting. It looks like there's No Entry, but the street itself is not one way only, to judge by the cars parked facing away from the No Entry sign. Still seems like an odd decision to sign the change in limit at the place where entry is forbidden, however.
Stepping back in time shows the No Entry signs are new and someone has simply failed to remove the redundant signing. Quite an amateur job all round.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

hmm..
Attachments
1.jpg
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:31
Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:09
swissferry wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 21:54 No entry with change of speed limit.
Interesting. It looks like there's No Entry, but the street itself is not one way only, to judge by the cars parked facing away from the No Entry sign. Still seems like an odd decision to sign the change in limit at the place where entry is forbidden, however.
Stepping back in time shows the No Entry signs are new and someone has simply failed to remove the redundant signing. Quite an amateur job all round.
The only section of that road that has a one-way sign is this here, but turn around and there is a redundant elderly people sign. They didn't even bother to remove all the markings here. My first thought was it was one of those "temporary" schemes that were allow under COVID rules, but it appears to have been done in 2019 thus predating that.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

We've had plenty of primary v non-primary incompetence on here but this on the A515 takes it to a new level. :lol: :o :no:
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 21:22 We've had plenty of primary v non-primary incompetence on here but this on the A515 takes it to a new level. :lol: :o :no:
That's pretty bad.

Not just for the main reason you're pointing out, but that Buxton shouldn't be on there at all. Ashbourne is the next primary destination so should be the one which is signed.

Though I suppose given how close it actually is to Ashbourne, something like
Ashbourne
Buxton
A515
would probably also make sense. But then, I'm not Bryn ;) so don't know the intricacies of exactly what one can or should do.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

look out for cars going the wrong way down this one-way street.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

OliverH wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 20:31 look out for cars going the wrong way down this one-way street.
Looks like the one way is a new change and they just haven't bothered to remove redundant signs as usual.

Further down in Bartholomew Street W we havethese things which are much older though!
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 21:43
OliverH wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 20:31 look out for cars going the wrong way down this one-way street.
Looks like the one way is a new change and they just haven't bothered to remove redundant signs as usual.
Is it just me failing to see the issue here?
Simon
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

traffic-light-man wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 22:19
MotorwayGuy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 21:43
Is it just me failing to see the issue here?
The warning of two way traffic is redundant since there is no longer traffic coming from the left. These signs are rarely used now but it used to be common to have them at the end of one-way streets that were created in the 80s.

Spot the mistake with this one, presumably made by the same person who painted these up the road.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Still have to look out for cyclists from that direction, so technically still correct.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

It's also still two way to the right and within the junction, so also still correct IMV. The road turns into one way once it has exited the junction.
Simon
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

This sign doesn't look quite right to me.

https://goo.gl/maps/zwZndGs2crAhhbUM8
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

PhilC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 21:11 This sign doesn't look quite right to me.

https://goo.gl/maps/zwZndGs2crAhhbUM8
That’s because it’s quite wrong!
the cheesecake man

Yet another font that doesn't look quite right: M606 M62 M1 seems to be in something like Century Gothic :lol:
Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

Speaking of dodgy fonts, how about a spot of Albertus?

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4185226 ... 384!8i8192
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
the cheesecake man

I don't like the way 50 yards is hidden in the list of destinations not separated out on the right as a distance,
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Rambo wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 13:32hmm..
OK, I'm not seeing what's wrong with this one. It looks to be a correct sign for goods vehicles over 8 tonnes prohibited on the road on the right. While an 8 tonne restriction is a bit odd, if that really is the restriction I don't see anything wrong with the sign.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

SteelCamel wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 13:25
OK, I'm not seeing what's wrong with this one. It looks to be a correct sign for goods vehicles over 8 tonnes prohibited on the road on the right. While an 8 tonne restriction is a bit odd, if that really is the restriction I don't see anything wrong with the sign.
well the truck facing to the right looks a bit odd. I thought they usually point to the left. Unless i'm mistaken?
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Rambo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 15:45
SteelCamel wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 13:25
well the truck facing to the right looks a bit odd. I thought they usually point to the left. Unless i'm mistaken?
Yes, that's true. I'd never noticed it, but the standard symbol does have the truck going left. And now I think of it, vehicles on signs are usually going left (if they're not front-on). Though I suppose for a road to the right it might make sense to paint a right-going truck, it's definitely non-standard.
And why eight tonnes not the usual 7.5? Usually trucks are kept under 7.5 tonnes to get onto the lower license category, or they're at least 10 tonnes, so I can't see many trucks between 7.5 and 8 tonnes needing to use the road.
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 21:22 We've had plenty of primary v non-primary incompetence on here
But always room for more, right?

(Should probably go and post the same image on Manky Signs now - two birds one stone and all that).