Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

solocle

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by solocle »

Tesco.
B2A55820-1092-4B8D-8BEC-AA0E9719054B.jpeg
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

solocle wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 13:04 Tesco.
B2A55820-1092-4B8D-8BEC-AA0E9719054B.jpeg
So, speed up, yes?
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Conekicker wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:51 Northern Ireland "Now how shall we sign the start of a motorway":

This...
Or this...
Maybe this...
And finally perhaps this?
OK, what on earth is this? Do people in NI not know what a hard shoulder is? And then at the bottom of the slip road, the hard shoulder is hatched for no obvious reason.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Another double negative captured in Wigan. The street looks like a public road but leads to a private car park. I assume this could be a private access road then.
Attachments
IMG_2117.JPG
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

SteelCamel wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 19:10
Conekicker wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:51 Northern Ireland "Now how shall we sign the start of a motorway":

This...
Or this...
Maybe this...
OK, what on earth is this? Do people in NI not know what a hard shoulder is? And then at the bottom of the slip road, the hard shoulder is hatched for no obvious reason.
It looks like it was originally a two-lane slip road but was changed, not sure why that sign is needed though. As for the unnecessary hatching, the A2 at the TfL boundary has the same thing, yet this section which is too narrow doesn't.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

This...
Or this...
Maybe this...
Like I said, I've seen some very strange things over here this last couple of weeks...
:roll:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 08:27

This...
Or this...
Maybe this...
Like I said, I've seen some very strange things over here this last couple of weeks...
It opened like that. I think a touch of the "we don't know what we're doing" combined with NI having its own sign regs combined there.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 14:40

It opened like that. I think a touch of the "we don't know what we're doing" combined with NI having its own sign regs combined there.
It's very odd to have designed and built it that way. The whole entry sliproad is built wide enough for two lanes plus hard shoulder, and has more physical space for the acceleration lane and merge than is actually used. All the space for that second lane is then painted out. Why build it?
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

The problem with that slip was after opening some people thought the hard shoulder was a running lane and started driving in it. They put up the sign to remind people it was one lane only. I think the merge is too short to allow for the full two lanes anyway.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 14:40

Yes, their own regs. It wasn't until I checked them that I realised that directional signing is not included in their regs. Which might explain some of the rather odd stuff out there.

I'm guessing that just as Chapter 8 is mandatory over there, so might Chapter 7 be?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

This...
Or this...
Maybe this...
Which of these are botched? The first one isn't even on a motorway.

I admit there are too many destinations on the third one but that's a legacy of the original signs that were at that junction.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

A42_Sparks wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 15:10

This...
Or this...
Maybe this...

I admit there are too many destinations on the third one but that's a legacy of the original signs that were at that junction.
There are plenty nearby that are though. This sign indicates that the motorway starts at the roundabout but in fact it continues to another roundabout that serves local roads. Then there's this No access to motorway sign that is next to a no entry road so doesn't seem to serve any purpose. Then at the next roundabout there are [url=https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.73814 ... 8192?hl=en]these[url].
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 16:51

This...
Or this...
Maybe this...

There are plenty nearby that are though. This sign indicates that the motorway starts at the roundabout but in fact it continues to another roundabout that serves local roads. Then there's this No access to motorway sign that is next to a no entry road so doesn't seem to serve any purpose. Then at the next roundabout there are these.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

This...
Or this...
Maybe this...

Apologies, the first one should have been this (I think):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.74560 ... 8192?hl=en

The point I was trying to make was that there were DS's with the route number in either Transport Medium or Motorway, with or without the motorway symbol at the top of an entry slip.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Yes those examples are all terrible. Dfl Roads seems to have forgotten how to correctly use Motorway font or the chopsticks symbol. I'm pretty sure the one at M2 j11 is correctly signed or it was when it was erected anyway (late 1980's).

The 'No Access To Motorway' sign is a legacy from when M2 j7 was limited access (offslips only) and should be removed.

The tiny M2 flag sign always makes me laugh. What happened was people assumed the unsigned 270 degrees exit from the roundabout was the motorway onslip when it's actually a narrow rural road. They put up another sign as if to say 'it's the next exit'.

The entire junction is a bodge anyway as it wasn't in the original M2 plans so had to be shoehorned in. J7 was supposed to be the M2/M22 split.
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Prohibition of speed bump warnings for 100m on a road the council apparently refused to adopt.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

This made me laugh. It's not a botched roadsign as such as it's a private sign on private land, but I thought I'd post it as it made me laugh/raise an eyebrow.
doebag

Post by doebag »

Is it legal to turn right here ?

https://goo.gl/maps/4QRqyBWaq2r3DRP36

The painted road markings indicate straight ahead/turn left and turn right but the only bollard indicates pass to the left only.
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

No entry with change of speed limit.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

swissferry wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 21:54 No entry with change of speed limit.
Interesting. It looks like there's No Entry, but the street itself is not one way only, to judge by the cars parked facing away from the No Entry sign. Still seems like an odd decision to sign the change in limit at the place where entry is forbidden, however.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!