Singapore: the SGE signal head survives!

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DorsetWay
Banned

Re: Singapore: the SGE signal head survives!

Post by DorsetWay »

I am not liking the Euro standard signals in Singapore - so dull looking plus the poles are no longer striped! :no:

Why are boring looking installations being chosen in the Far East without backplates and striped poles? The Singapore ones really need yellow borders to liven things up!
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

The grey aluminium poles now favoured in Singapore are quite substantial things, and are almost as wide as the ones the Belgians use to mount their AluStars on....
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Keep the picies commin :mrgreen: Thanks :)
horsetan wrote:The grey aluminium poles now favoured in Singapore are quite substantial things, and are almost as wide as the ones the Belgians use to mount their AluStars on....
Dutch ones are simalar, but thiers ae striped, still with bloody big backing boards though! :lol:
Simon
siukei

Post by siukei »

RoadKill wrote:Ah now I understand. Thanks.

The SGEs lasted quite a while and I remember seeing them lastly in 2006 but bagged. Also saw the mellor on the same trip.
Ah, got it. Thanks. Two SGE poles are still working, which are owned by the HK Police Force. They are used to control the traffic at a frontier closed area checking point.
Attachments
011.jpg
011.jpg (138.35 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Ooh! I own a similar 2-aspect SGE head! :D
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

horsetan wrote:Ooh! I own a similar 2-aspect SGE head! :D
Which you want to evily cut up and add to a 3 aspect :evil: :lol:
Simon
RoadKill

Post by RoadKill »

Thanks for the update Siukei. Glad those are still around.
Mike
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Meanwhile the Singapore signal head picture upload continues. I should be onto the next series of SGEs - this time from Serangoon Central - soon. And when this is all over, we can finally move into the traffic signal chaos that is Malaysia today :roll:
DorsetWay
Banned

Post by DorsetWay »

Look forward to seeing the Malay signals but I think these are tame in comparison to the signals of India which are much more chaotic!
DorsetWay
Banned

Post by DorsetWay »

Just saw more of your pics added to the gallery.

I am not too happy at seeing this crossing on Orchard Road. These new lights obviously replaced SGEs very recently that only the overhead secondary signal has never changed in appearance in the upgrade!

Here's the same location as above but with SGEs before their removal, you can see there are eye-level repeater signals fitted just like the current new ones - so what's the point of the replacement?! :furious:

I last saw the now removed SGEs in 2005 which appeared to be in a fine condition that these were uprooted then tossed away after so many years of service that tragically the Singaporean government probably does not recognise these signals to be a true Singaporean icon like the Tiger beer.

I would understand if the old signals were battered and run down like the ones in Dublin were but when I saw these SGEs in question which looked like these were not destined for the scrap heap just yet!
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

DorsetWay wrote:Just saw more of your pics added to the gallery.

I am not too happy at seeing this crossing on Orchard Road. These new lights obviously replaced SGEs very recently that only the overhead secondary signal has never changed in appearance in the upgrade!

Here's the same location as above but with SGEs before their removal, you can see there are eye-level repeater signals fitted just like the current new ones - so what's the point of the replacement?! :furious:
Cast iron has (or rather had) a scrap value when the Chinese are buying it....
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Have got round to uploading a few more views of the well-preserved and working SGE set at Serangoon Central Bus Terminal. Sorry it's been so long! :oops:
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Hi Chaps
Just recently joined after browsing some Google images of GEC at Wembley Middlesex and noted the reference to SGE signals , I Applied to GEC Road Signals in Sept 1969 as an Apprentice,after I had Joined I found that formally the group had been known as SGE (Seimans and General Electric) but Siemans had been brought out by GEC hence the change to GEC Road Signals, for a few years after all our drawings had refrence to SGE and the SGE trademark was still manufactured on Signal and Control Boxes , GEC eventually brought out Elliot Automation Ltd and we were changed to GEC-Elliot Traffic Automation LTD,with Blue and White vans which was the Elliot colour sbut about 2 years after that the name of Elliot was dropped and we just became GEC Automation and back to Yellow and Black vans untill eventually folding and being taken back over by Siemans, which would have been after I left in 1976
I had many good years at this company leaving in 1976--but during my Apprenticship time in the Test department I used to test the controllers for Singapore and Iran then I transferred to the installation side and installed the first Pelican Crossing, the Motorway speed signals on both the M4 and M6 (at the new unfinished Birmingham spaghetti junction in 1970) , Installed and maintained the first Microprocesser Signals at Slough , Wig-Wags at luton Airport runways and the Scotland Yard run Traffic signal and camera control system covering the West End of London, also had the privilege of delivering the first Mellor Signal heads to the Dept of Transport test laboratory by Heathrow, then after the test delivering them to the British Institute to enable them to get there approval---I always remember that the official report from the DoT test was that the Amber light when illuminated was identical to Street lighting Sodium colour which could cause a problem but I don't recall anything was actually done about that.
Happy days indeed